This thread is privately moderated by rdstarwalt, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 13, 2015, 07:49 AM
AMA 79169
Thread OP
Discussion

Friday's Did You Know (73)...

...the Livesy DL5, as modeled by Jack Headley, was a British homebuilt aircraft? This construction article was published in the December 1977 issue of Model Aviation. Kevin Flynn is seen on the cover of the issue holding the model and kneeling next to a Pitts Special. There are several interesting aspects of this article.

The most prominent, to me, was the complete omission of Jack's name! He is credited for the article in the table of contents, but not on the intro page of the actual article. Another aspect is the two-page layout of the plans in magazine. Today, we are lucky to even get a partial drawing of plans. I understand, all too well, that copy/scanning tech is much better today than it was in the mid 1970s and even into the 1980s. The plans in this article do look like Jack's artwork and style to me. A quick check of the AMA Plans Service (Plan #207) shows this set only costs $14 and can still be purchased today, 38 years after publication!

More interesting details show up in the article photos. Jack made a hand-drawn control panel for the model and mounted the receiver switch there! It is hardly noticeable and a great way to conceal an out-of-scale device. The wing construction is classic and this model uses rib cap strips, something not seen on too many of Jack's designs. I am currently working on a project to blend two ARFs into one aircraft. The wing uses cap strips and it is amazing how much stronger a balsa rib becomes when this simple feature is added.

This would also be another great candidate for electric. The location of the battery might be a challenge with the smaller fuselage cross section and the (almost) pod style cabin area would be the best location. Use small servos and it should get you the same controls as the original design.

-=Doug
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply