Nov 11, 2015, 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS2K
I'm not sure the F330 and Atmega MCUs will be able to handle it. I blew one up during testing of the signal a few months ago. Since then I've only used F390s for testing it.
Means a whole new generation of ECS's - should hop on the CANBUS train..
Latest blog entry: FrSky Long Range!
to remove ads between posts
Nov 11, 2015, 07:18 PM
Sounds great!!

Is that a new version of cleanflight Config tool in that PIC?
Nov 11, 2015, 07:38 PM
Saved By The Lost Model Buzzer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braders3k
Sounds great!!

Is that a new version of cleanflight Config tool in that PIC?
It's actually the current version on the Chrome store.
Nov 11, 2015, 07:54 PM
lol... how can I flash that to my KISS?!?
Nov 11, 2015, 08:05 PM
I'm curious what sort of improvement you anticipate when updating the motors faster than 4 kHz? The lag in several parts of the loop are an order of magnitude larger than that. Very curious to see your math.
Nov 11, 2015, 08:07 PM
I know someplace that have mini F390 ESC's.
Nov 11, 2015, 08:11 PM
I'd rather be flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracernz
I'm curious what sort of improvement you anticipate when updating the motors faster than 4 kHz? The lag in several parts of the loop are an order of magnitude larger than that. Very curious to see your math.
He's already got looptime down to 106us on Betaflight on the Revo Or are you referring to the internal loop in the ESC?
Nov 11, 2015, 08:13 PM
Woohoo!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by --Oz--
Yea, we both new that, my point was lightweight motor bells/magnets, as we are trying to change the rpm up/down faster than ever before. That heavy stupid steel bell flux ring is a large part of what we are fighting (mass wise),,,was my point

moving on, look at the IBM PC in early 1980's, they were using 64K ram, they thought, lets make the MAX ram 10 times, or 640K max, boy that was a very large mess. Think ahead on this new protocol and hopefully it will last for years to come, thanks!
Haha, very true.

Quote:
You always want the freshest data possible. Even a small latency savings can make a difference. 32 bit MCUs are going to be a lot less limited than the 8 bit MCUs we're currently using. Expect even better performance out of them. This protocol will be ready when they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozshey
Nov 11, 2015, 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadMcFly
He's already got looptime down to 106us on Betaflight on the Revo Or are you referring to the internal loop in the ESC?
Two of the biggest lags: the lag between movement of the quad and appearance of that in the gyro readings, and the lag between the FC commanding throttle and the ESC+motors responding. The former is at least a couple of ms and the latter several ms minimum.
Nov 11, 2015, 08:30 PM
Woohoo!
Thread OP
Quote:
Two of the biggest lags: the lag between movement of the quad and appearance of that in the gyro readings, and the lag between the FC commanding throttle and the ESC+motors responding. The former is at least a couple of ms and the latter several ms minimum.
Both latencies are being worked on. The fast CPUs and low looptimes along with some coding changes will reduce the first latency and as far as the second latency is concerned, motors are getting more powerful, High performance ESCs are getting smaller and more powerful (UBAD 30 for example) and wuads are getting lighter.

There are other ways around the second latency, but I don't think a PID controller is the right tool for the job.
Nov 11, 2015, 08:34 PM
I'd rather be flying
Quote:
I ran into a similar problem on my thrust stand software and updates from the RPM sensor. The delay between pulses could be up to several ms depending on the RPMs of the motor, but I found the faster I could get my cycle time the more accurate a picture of what was happening, because I knew with a higher degree of certainty exactly when the pulse came in in relation to my other sensor readings. I would imagine the same logic applies here. Also as ESCs and motors get better and motor/prop combos are optimized that latency will get less and less. Better to think ahead of where we are than wait to solve the problem till it comes, IMO.
Nov 11, 2015, 08:52 PM
FPV Stig
Subbed.. Will be interesting to see what you have come up with this time... It should be insane either way..
Nov 11, 2015, 09:26 PM
AMA 1033652
Congratulations, K! You broke 1Shot125!!!

WhatChoo gonna do next? End hunger? Bring about World Peace? Solve the riddles of the Sphinx?

Keep it coming dude... we'll stay tuned.

mnem
They make a cream for that...
Nov 11, 2015, 09:27 PM
Can you at least give us a hint? Are we looking at CAN? I2C? SPI? The curious public demands answers, preferably in 32 bit words!
Nov 11, 2015, 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozshey
The only ones I have liked to burst into flames. Hopefully the latest are a bit more robust.
Latest blog entry: FrSky Long Range!

Quick Reply