Nov 11, 2015, 02:56 PM
G.F. beurling
Thread OP
Discussion

Is the Hobbistar 60 decent for a beginner's next step up?

I'm a new piolt doing solos with a 39" Park electric. My next plane soon will be an electric 45" MiniTelemaster which is built & already waiting for me.

Ok, here's the deal;
I have an old 71" Tower Hobbistar 60 from about 13 years ago that the guys at the club would buddy box me with. It's called a "trainer" but if anybody is familiar with it, you know that it is a high wing trainer with a semi-symetrical wing and not a flat bottom wing. I would have preferred something new and lighter like a Sig Kadet SR for $250, or an ebay 77" Rascal for $145 shipped, but what the heck?........I already have the Hobbistar 60 it so it's free!!..... and it's ready to go with servos and flaps too.

I'm going to remove the old 75ABC Tower engine which is gummed up and frozen. Soooo........that will be the time when I can buy and install an electric motor back into this plane and use it as my next bigger step-up as a newbie pilot. Do I have your blessings with this plan?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 11, 2015, 06:00 PM
I had a Hobbistar 60 early on in my flight training. As I'm you you've heard, "bigger flies better". No different in this case. It was a very steady plane and actually was fun to fly. It was a bit more aerobatic than many trainers because of the flat bottom wing.
Nov 11, 2015, 06:15 PM
Good plane. Less dihedral than most trainers plus the semi symmetrical wing. It can fly faster and straighter with less ballooning than a flat-bottom. Rolls and loops are prettier.
I've flown one a couple of times at my field and it can still go slow and gentle. Run with it.
Nov 11, 2015, 07:19 PM
That Hobbistar 60 should be an excellent second plane. And freeing up that engine shouldn't be hard. I would keep it. I have had semi symmetrical high wing planes and they fly more like sport planes than trainers.

I learned to fly on a Das Little Stik with a fully Symmetrical wind and did fine. And I had almost no instruction and there were no buddy boxes back in 1979. And I learned how to repair crash damage at the same time.

My instructor liked to fly my plane and tell me what he was doing. I didn't get much stick time I would go off by myself and fly. Taking off and flying was easy. Landing was another story. I bent a lot of nose gears and broke a lot of props but I learned. And not with a full blown trainer.

If you insist on desecrating that plane by turning it into an electric and want to sell the engine let me know. Those were good engines and you don't see them often for sale. Me, I would just use it. You will learn something new besides charging batteries.
Nov 11, 2015, 07:26 PM
Excellent choice!
Nov 11, 2015, 08:33 PM
G.F. beurling
Thread OP
Thanks guys. I was a bit concerned about the plane being a little heavier then others. It's listed by Tower Hobbies at "7-8" Lbs. For example the 77" Aviator Pro (a copy of the Sig Rascal) being sold on Ebay is listed as "aprox 6.6 lbs". But overiding my weight concerns with the Hobbistar is the dominant factor that I already have this plane all set & ready to fly with servos. Just needs a motor! It will probably be nice to play around with the flaps too. I have a Fults heavy duty front gear on it too, being I was so good at bending all my factory front gears back while being on a buddy box. Most important is I can fly it more relaxed without fearing a crash and the resulting $150 loss...... as I would with the $150 Ebay Rascal. (never mind a $250 Sig Kadet SR!!)

Burle, as far as electriv VS Glow......I'm with you.
But I'm still honing my skills to become an experienced pilot. Being able to pull over to a 100 acre field on the side of the road wherever and whenever I can with nothing more then the plane in one hand, and the transmitter case in the other hand , makes it much easier to get practice time in. Once I'm a full fledged pilot I will join a club again and revert back to large glow and gas powered planes which is better suited for a half day on a lazy Sunday. Yes, that Tower 75ABC engine is a fine running engine which I intend to tear down, clean it up, and reuse it in the future.
Last edited by G.F. Beurling; Nov 11, 2015 at 08:40 PM.
Nov 11, 2015, 08:52 PM
I don't think that extra weight is going to hurt a thing if you just fly it until you feel it's limiting your progress. THEN get something lighter/nicer. Might be time to go with a low or mid wing at that point.
Nov 11, 2015, 09:15 PM
As planes get bigger, naturally they're going to increase in weight as well, so weight alone shouldn't be a concern. I remember the Hobbistar 60 to have a very solid feel in the air and handles wind quite well. I've always found .40 size trainers to be very twitchy.
Nov 11, 2015, 10:03 PM
That's a good point as well. I've always proffered 60 size trainers. They're easier to fly and teach.
Nov 12, 2015, 06:34 AM
Illegitimi non carborundum
I learned on a Hobbistar 60 and it's a very nice plane... no bad habits. I still have it, but now it's a gas-powered taildragger with dual aileron servos and a bolt-on wing.

Here's mine next to a couple of stockers.

Nov 12, 2015, 08:12 AM
Somehow, that just doesn't seem right. ;^)

The skis are to keep you from dropping a wheel into a gopher hole?
Nov 12, 2015, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks
Somehow, that just doesn't seem right. ;^)

The skis are to keep you from dropping a wheel into a gopher hole?
Heh heh... I designed that gear to be all-season. It worked AWESOME in the snow...

... But when I set it on the grass it stuck like sh*t to a blanket. Funny story... I removed the skis and went up with the wheels only. Recheck CG? Who, me? :P

It was a fun flight...
Nov 12, 2015, 10:48 PM
Tree hopper
What gas engine did you install GB ??
Nov 13, 2015, 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabe221
What gas engine did you install GB ??
DLE 20 with a Pitts style wraparound muffler - the write up is here: http://www.grosbeakrc.ca/aircraft/ho...eparation.html

Sorry OP - I didn't mean to hijack your thread. If you go for a Hobbistar I think you'll be pleased!
Nov 18, 2015, 08:26 PM
===============
Last edited by jsparky; Nov 20, 2015 at 04:10 PM.

Quick Reply