Nov 10, 2015, 04:42 PM
Thread OP
Mini-Review

Cheerson CX-33C & CX-33S, a double sided "Y6" tricopter (under construction)

INTRODUCTION

More than 2 year after the SH "Scorpion", Cheerson relunched an original hexacopter concept with a double sided prop design. On each arms (x3), on prop push the air while the other one is lifting the system. In fact, the exact name of this design is "Y6". The Cheerson CX-33 comes in three variants: a camera only "C", a WiFi version "W" and a 5.8G FPV version "S". I will review the "C" version only and probably update this thread later for the "S" model.

BOX CONTENT

+ 1 x Cheerson CX-33C (with a 2S 360mAh LiPo ending with a microLOSI connector)
+ 1 x Transmitter (using 4xAA batteries not included)
+ 1 x USB charging cable
+ 2 x Spare props (1 CW, 1 CCW)
+ 2 x Screwdrivers
+ 1 x Instruction manual (English)

OVERVIEW

-Front view

Two bright blue LEDs are located on each front arms

-Side view

A 4pins 1.25mm microJST connector can welcome either the 1Mpx cam and the FPV cam combo

-Rear view

A flashing red LEDs

-Upper view

-Bottom view

The battery bay don't offer extra room to welcome a larger model

It's a little bit annoying to insert/remove each time the balancer plug inside the CX-33 body. I advice to cut
the right corner of the battery's door to install externally the balancer cable

-Weight

Motors and props

Props are designed to offer more lift but in another hand reduce agility. "A" type props are installed on top, "B" bottom

Props are very thin and fragile especially if you are flying without prop guard

Associated prop guard

One screw to remove the gear cap.

Good news, 4mmx7mmx2mm (MR74) ball-bearings are installed out of the box.

It will reduce friction and extend motor durability

For each arm, two 8.5mmx20mm coreless motor are installed

They are powered by a 2S system, like the JJRC H8C. So the main question is about the durability. I woud say there are two positive arguments in favor of the CX-33C: i) presence of ball-bearings and ii) the ratio weight/thrust capacity is theorically 50% (6/4) more efficient for the CX-33.

LiPo

Camera module

A M6 lens mount. Unfortunatly, no compatible wide lens available.

The camera plug pinout

Electrically, it's possible to use the V686G FPV combo even if this one originally is powered with +4.1V and not +5V like here.
Last edited by SeByDocKy; Dec 11, 2015 at 04:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 10, 2015, 04:43 PM
Thread OP
Disassembling

It's paradoxaly easy to open the CX-33: 10 + 4 (blacks) + 3 (tiny on the rear arm)

The RF daughter board including a XN297 chip

Of course the Invensense MPU6050C for the 6-axis stabilization and an ARM core for the main brain

Transmitter

A basic radio chassis generally found with Cheerson product. Now, no more fake 2.4G antenna. With the altitude hold feature, the throttle stick is auto-centered on 50%. No more shoulder buttons but 4 panel ones. The first left button is associated the 5.8G version to select/pair the Vfreq. The next one if pressed briefly turn on/off video recording. If pressed long, it takes a photo. The right buttons are associated with the "Auto take-off"/ "Auto landing" features. No speed/ dual rates button. To calibrate gyros, you have to press both stick in lower right position. To arm the quadcopter, you need to press both sticks in lower outter positions. To disarm, in lower inner positions.

The radio protocol uses a RF daughter board with a XN297 chip. Good news, the protocol is the same than the Cheerson CX-10 "Blue-A" already partially implemented in deviationTX. Only the camera triggering, the auto take-off and the auto-landing need to be added to current version.

FIRST USAGE

Cheerson CX-33C first demo flight (Courtesy Banggood) (10 min 40 sec)

As you can see, the CX-33C is an amazing stable machine. I am impressed how the "z" altitude is constrolled with a simple barometer. The z-deviation is very small (< 5-10cm IMHO).
No expert mode unfortunatly, this machine is clearly dedicaced to be a video plateform. I guess the FPV part is more dedicaced to control the scene recording. Don't expect the CX-33 to be a racer (well at least with the default transmitter). The auto take-off works like a charm. The auto-landing indroduces most of the time a bouncing effect on the ground (oscillations like we can find for an algorithm convergence). The LEDs are very bright and offer to the CX-33 some great night flying capacities. I really enjoyed some model and it's almost impossible to crash this machine. In panic mode, just release sticks and the CX-33 will hover in place. A downside of the altitude control concern the vertical ascent/descent velocity... relatively poor. The average flying duration is around 7min (be aware, asap LVC alarm will flash, the auto-landing procedure is turned on)

and controlled with a Devo7E controller

Cheerson CX-33C with DeviationTX: CX-10A/Blue-A protocol (Courtesy Banggood) (3 min 7 sec)

The control is not fully implemented in DeviationTX (will be soon IMHO) but the good news, rates are improved and transform the CX-33 in a much more sporty model... So good .... Missing the photo/camera triggering, auto-landing and auto take-off fonctions

CONCLUSIONS

To be honest, I was sceptical when I saw this CX-33 announcement. I was expected something not very efficient and didn't expect too much from the altitude hold feature. I was completly wrong.... it's working like a charm out of the box. The CX-33 is ultra stable machine mainly targetting people/beginners who want a very simple/stable plateform to shoot basic videos. The videos are jellofree even if with the 1Mpx camera module, the 720p videos are not amazing precise/sharp with some slight variations in the frame rate. I can guess better results will be obtened with the "S" FPV version including a 2Mpx camera DVR. My concerns are for the 8.5mm motors (even if they are less stressed than the JJRC H8C) and the prop durability. I think it's a good idea to stock at least 2 spare motors/props.

UNBOXING

Cheerson CX-33C Unboxing and quick analysis (Courtesy Banggood) (13 min 25 sec)

PROS

+ Ultra sable hexacopter
+ Beautiful design
+ Original props configuration
+ Very precise altitude hold feature
+ Ball bearings (MR74)
+ Good flying duration
+ Good range out of the box (>50m & < 70m)
+ Jellofree plateform
+ Orientable lens
+ Night Flyer
+ Partial DeviationTX support(CX-10/Blue-A protocol)

CONS

- Autolanding as soon as LVC is reached
- No speed/rate expert mode
- Fragile props
- Non constant frame rate
- Bouncing effect during auto-landing
- Durability of motors ?

This quadcopter have been courtesy provided by Banggood in order to make a fair and not biased review. I would like to thanks them for this attitude.
You can find it actually for 70USD at http://www.banggood.com/Cheerson-CX-33C-CX33C-720P-HD-Camera-2_4G-4CH-6-axis-High-Hold-Mode-RC-Quadcopter-p-1001729.html
Last edited by SeByDocKy; Dec 11, 2015 at 04:01 PM.
Nov 11, 2015, 02:08 AM
Thread OP
Cheerson CX-33S

The left module is the 5.8G FPV combo

Notice the absence of a microSD card as well as the USB microSD card reader ... strange savings ...

2.3g is added versus the pure camera module

Unfortunatly the camera lens is directly soldered to the main camera PCB. No possibility to install easily a 808#16 lens D module

Unfortunatly, the FPV screen have blue screen... a bad point when practicing FPV

A half plannar antenna favorising more vertical transmissions

FIRST USAGE

Cheerson CX-33S new FPV session (Courtesy Banggood) (5 min 0 sec)

The FPV signal is pretty good. I was expected to see nothing on the 4"3 FPV monitor but in practice it's not so catastrophic, we can see it clearly in relative moderate day lights. When recording, I can observe a very slight frame rate drop but it's very very slight. Thanks to the altitude hold, it's very very easy to fly FPV. I one more time regret this narrow FPV of the camera sensor .... and the bad news, we can't replace the sensor with the 808#16

UNBOXING

Cheerson CX-33S Unboxing and quick analysis (Courtesy Banggood) (11 min 36 sec)

CONCLUSIONS

The CX-33S is a super machine to learn how to flly FPV mode. Thanks to the altitude hold function, pilots are less stressed to not handle the throttle command and are by consequence more focused on the scene. The FPV transmission is robust within radius of 80-100m as soon as the altitude is greater or egal to 10m (linked with the half-plan FPV antenna). Really I regret the limited field of view of the lens and unfortunatly the non easy possibility to install a wider model.

PROS

+ Ultra sable hexacopter
+ Beautiful design
+ Original props configuration
+ Very precise altitude hold feature
+ Ball bearings (MR74)
+ Good flying duration
+ Good range out of the box (>50m & < 70m)
+ Jellofree plateform
+ Good FPV signal (~100m if altitude > 10m)
+ FPV monitor almost well visible in daylight conditions
+ 720p recording
+ Orientable lens
+ Night Flyer
+ Partial DeviationTX support(CX-10/Blue-A protocol)

CONS

- Autolanding as soon as LVC is reached
- Lens sensor connexion directly soldered on the video PCB
- M6 lens mount, narrow FOV
- No sunshade
- Blue/black screen when FPV connexion is lost
- No microSD/ USB reader provided
- No speed/rate expert mode
- Fragile props
- None constant frame rate to 24 fps
- Bouncing effect during auto-landing
- Durability of motors ?
Last edited by SeByDocKy; Jan 01, 2016 at 02:31 AM.
Nov 11, 2015, 02:10 AM
Thread OP
Added conclusion, fixing elements
Nov 11, 2015, 03:20 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Interesting review, so it's more than just a weird looking multirotor. Good work on giving a solid impression on what to expect from this one.

One little comment, in the beginning there are 4 pictures that are almost the same. At the start the picture is the same as the first one under "front view". The second picture under that is almost the same, and the third picture shows the same angle, but with leds on. I like pictures, but when there is virtually no difference between 4 pics, it looks like seeing the same picture 4 times within a few lines, and just makes the thread take longer to load, and more scrolling is needed.

Personally, I would have used a picture from the BG site as first picture, and then use the one with the leds on, to show both front view, and lighting. But that's just my 2 cents.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Nov 11, 2015, 04:01 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
Interesting review, so it's more than just a weird looking multirotor. Good work on giving a solid impression on what to expect from this one.

One little comment, in the beginning there are 4 pictures that are almost the same. At the start the picture is the same as the first one under "front view". The second picture under that is almost the same, and the third picture shows the same angle, but with leds on. I like pictures, but when there is virtually no difference between 4 pics, it looks like seeing the same picture 4 times within a few lines, and just makes the thread take longer to load, and more scrolling is needed.

Personally, I would have used a picture from the BG site as first picture, and then use the one with the leds on, to show both front view, and lighting. But that's just my 2 cents.

yes I can remove one at least
Nov 11, 2015, 04:12 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Better, less deja-vu.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Nov 11, 2015, 06:08 AM
Flight for life
Nice review Seby. Thanks.
My only fear would be at the landing without touching the ground with the lower props.
The clearance is about 4 cm. ? therefore no grass landing. Also can other more solid props
be utilized for the CX33 ?.
Thanks.
Cordialement.
Nov 11, 2015, 07:22 AM
Looks like the motor wires connect to the FC using plugs?
Nov 11, 2015, 07:23 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfb107 View Post
Looks like the motor wires connect to the FC using plugs?

Right
Nov 11, 2015, 07:24 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by geotric View Post
My only fear would be at the landing without touching the ground with the lower props.
The clearance is about 4 cm. ? therefore no grass landing. Also can other more solid props
Thanks.
Cordialement.

Yes 4-5cm maximum .... No I don't know some compatible props but there are already sold
Nov 11, 2015, 07:52 AM
new2rc15
Quote:
Originally Posted by geotric View Post
Thanks.
Cordialement.
Catching it out of the air could be problematic, too. I am glad Devo is required to make it go fast, I needed something to force me to set up my 7E, although I'm still likely to just fly slow for a while. I am looking forward to mounting my FPV upgrade kit to it. Having the altitude hold will make FPV much easier, IMO
Nov 11, 2015, 07:57 AM
new2rc15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeByDocKy View Post
Right
What is the actual flight time?
Nov 11, 2015, 03:22 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by casey62 View Post
What is the actual flight time?

Around 7min
Nov 11, 2015, 07:44 PM
new2rc15
I ordered two of these batteries for $8.88. I will convert the battery cable to external JST on the quad. I don't like being held to one battery style that is relatively expensive, and a 2S Micro Losi is just plain silly
Last edited by casey62; Nov 12, 2015 at 08:45 AM.

Quick Reply