Thread Tools
Nov 10, 2015, 09:30 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Discussion

Evolution ellipsoid wing's problem


Hi everyone ,
My new Ellipsoid has a problem ....
Can' fly straight without this trimming ...see pic.
I al ready had an Ellsoid Evolution and had not problem ..
Someone has any idea?
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Nov 10, 2015, 10:29 AM
Registered User
Hi, tommaso.

I would guess that there's a warp somewhere and/or one panel is heavier than the other. Check for warps using a counter or floor for your level surface and check the lateral balance.

Cheers!
Nov 10, 2015, 11:59 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh
Hi, tommaso.

I would guess that there's a warp somewhere and/or one panel is heavier than the other. Check for warps using a counter or floor for your level surface and check the lateral balance.

Cheers!
Hi Peter ,
I checked for warps putting down on a floor the wings (but not with an istrument)....I didn't find nothing twisted.
I have to try much seriously ....but at first sight ....I don't think.

The weight with servos and wires is 288 / 289 gr...
almost the same .

The fuse is almost straight .....very little twisting ....but nothing that can create the needing to use that trimming ....

I wrote to Reichard models and Der-Sweighoffer (where I bought it ) to understand if they can help me somehow.

While I wait I could try to encrease the weight of left wing (the model turns right with no trim )......but it looks like a dirty thing .

Although the problem the model fly very well as I remembered.
This morning I flew with a blinding fog...sometimes I used memory and lucky to turn it around the field .....but it has been very very funny (and dangerous).
This model is an elegant flyer even in the fog.
Nov 10, 2015, 12:26 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Checked lateral belancing....
Actually it drops to the right , where it turn....slowly.....but it drops .
Nov 10, 2015, 02:27 PM
Registered User
Are the wing joiner & incidence keeper holes in the root identical distances from the wing surfaces?

For example if the 8mm holes are in identical placements but the 3mm hole in the right root is higher than the one in the left root then the rigged incidence mean that the right wing is permenantly at a lower angle of attack than the left. Ditto if the 8mm holes are out but the 3mm ones are correct.

PS also worth checking that the tailplane isn't slightly tilted with respect to the wings.
Last edited by patmcc; Nov 10, 2015 at 02:33 PM.
Nov 10, 2015, 02:44 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmcc
Are the wing joiner & incidence keeper holes in the root identical distances from the wing surfaces?

For example if the 8mm holes are in identical placements but the 3mm hole in the right root is higher than the one in the left root then the rigged incidence mean that the right wing is permenantly at a lower angle of attack than the left. Ditto if the 8mm holes are out but the 3mm ones are correct.
The starts of the two wings (radice delle semiali in italiano) are perfect against the Karman....the point of the fuse that has the profile of the wing...
Explaned in other way....there is perfect coincidence between wings and fuse (where they touch themselfe) on both sides......there isn't a wing that point up or down.....
Don't know if karman is uncorrect....
Nov 10, 2015, 02:51 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
I know that pics don't show very well the coincidence ......But I know that they "match" well.
That's my suprise...!!
The first time I assembled "dry" the model, just to see if there was something twisted , I was surprised by the perfect matching of everything .......
Nov 10, 2015, 03:04 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmcc
Are the wing joiner & incidence keeper holes in the root identical distances from the wing surfaces?

For example if the 8mm holes are in identical placements but the 3mm hole in the right root is higher than the one in the left root then the rigged incidence mean that the right wing is permenantly at a lower angle of attack than the left. Ditto if the 8mm holes are out but the 3mm ones are correct.

PS also worth checking that the tailplane isn't slightly tilted with respect to the wings.
However .....
Yours could be a solution ....Changing a little little little bit the incidente of right wing to make her catching less air .
But ....how much is unknown.....and looks dangerous
Nov 10, 2015, 04:06 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Pic 1 and 2 show the situation now .
Pic 3 shows how I could try to mod the right wing incidence.
But ....is better to work on wing or on fuse , modding the 3mm's hole?
Nov 10, 2015, 04:34 PM
Registered User
I have found that it's usually easier to work on the fuselage holes than the ones in the wing.
Nov 10, 2015, 05:01 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh
I have found that it's usually easier to work on the fuselage holes than the ones in the wing.
Ok ....
Actually in 3mm hole of the wing there is something metallic that (I suppose) works not to "eat" the wood by entering during the prefly assemblying .

Night bring advice .....we say in Italy
Nov 11, 2015, 06:11 AM
Registered User
It might be best to drill new, accurate placed, 3mm holes a few mm further forward than the existing ones in both wing roots and fuselage then widen the wing root holes to take short lengths of brass tube (blanked off at the inside end) epoxied into the wing root. That is the distance between 8mm & 3mm holes will be slightly closer together than at present. I don't think that distance is critical.
Nov 11, 2015, 06:59 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmcc
It might be best to drill new, accurate placed, 3mm holes a few mm further forward than the existing ones in both wing roots and fuselage then widen the wing root holes to take short lengths of brass tube (blanked off at the inside end) epoxied into the wing root. That is the distance between 8mm & 3mm holes will be slightly closer together than at present. I don't think that distance is critical.
Really good idea !!
That's what i'll do .
Hope to understood ...
Nov 11, 2015, 03:28 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Started
Nov 11, 2015, 04:13 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Too much????????


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools