Nov 08, 2015, 07:31 PM
Laughs at un-boxing videos...
Discussion

Show your scratchbuilt landing gear. Please

A year of flying has come and gone for me and want to make flights more realistic by taking off and landing from the ground rather than hand launch and belly in. I have been working on my personal flying field and have it smoothed out much better than before, making it practical to ROG and return smoothly.

The current plane that I am working on and flying this past week is a 2 pound (AUW) 36" span plane of my own design. It is foam and some balsa. I have powered it with a 36-42 400kv motor from a 4.6 pound Avios Riff Raff. Purchased the motor second hand and have run it with 16 to 12"Props, at max it is at less than half the rated power, just sips electricity.

I fly it good but break the props on every landing, thus my motivation for gear. My first attempt at landing gear worked good for take off but folded upon landing. I have reinforced it. I am using 3/32" welding rod.

The second version will include some triangulation. It is fit on externally with elastic bands. Not the prettiest but should work. Am not worried too much about added drag will just go up on power to match what I need.

With the large prop it looks like a spider. I am using 3.5" foam wheels. I'll post a picture later.

Does anyone have ideas on homemade landing gear.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 08, 2015, 08:03 PM
Fly It Till The Wings Tear Off
Here's one I made for my Mountain Models Switchback. It weighs less with the wheels than the music wire that came with the kit. It's held up well with no problems.
Nov 08, 2015, 10:51 PM
Here's what I fabricated for my Beeker. Weighs about 27 oz. AUW. Really soaks up the landings due to the forward sweep of the gear legs that are able to twist a bit in their brass sockets.

3/32" wire legs plug into brass tube sockets. Solder joint at axle, wrapped with copper wire. With the forward angle of the legs, they act as torsion bars, as they are allowed to rotate in the brass tubes.
Nov 09, 2015, 06:42 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Landing gear and motor mount ... We’ve been using these for years ...
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Nov 09, 2015, 10:58 AM
Laughs at un-boxing videos...
Thanks for the links and replies, here is what I made yesterday.

For the flight I just used the back wire sections. Definitely not stiff enough.

The main frame was made from 3 sections of 14" rod formed into an H shape, mig welded together and then shaped into a base. The vertical sections go between the wing hold on rod and the wing. The new section is welded onto the existing legs and rubber banded onto the motor mount. The wheels are 3.5".

If the gear is too flimsy I may try 9awg steel wire or may obtain heavy gauge music wire.
Nov 09, 2015, 04:02 PM
The gear itself looks great! And yes runway take-offs and landings are cool
Your rear brace looks like it has no way to move, but your front brace looks like it might (side-to-side or front-to-back).
What I've found for landing gear mounting approaches like yours is that if it can move, it will move - for anything but the most gentle touchdowns - and then you have to re-adjust the gear after every landing. On the flip side, if it is very solidly mounted you inevitably rip the gear clean off (taking some of the mounting with it) on occasion (witness the many videos of exactly that happening).
With really tall gear like that, most really can feel the performance difference (especially reduced glide performance) - one of the reasons why I try to mount the motor as high as possible to allow for shorter gear.
Nov 09, 2015, 05:06 PM

Detachable Main gear for Blu Baby 42

Here are pictures of one of my planes, a BluBaby 42, with detachable main gear. I took the idea from the Tuffy by Tony 65X55. I added thin plywood cheek pieces for the wire to ride on below the pegs for the rubber bands on the sides. A thin block of softwood with a notch glued to the bottom of the plane keeps the gear in place fore and aft.
Nov 10, 2015, 03:53 AM
some removable setups... https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=937395
Nov 10, 2015, 04:20 AM
Kimbers Keeper.

Nov 10, 2015, 08:37 AM
treefinder
Looking at your pic in post#6, I have found that making the joint between front and back wires as low/close to the "axle" seems to work better. The longer the single wire is, the easier it folds back. Other than that it looks like several of mine.
Nov 10, 2015, 12:44 PM
This gear was made from a hanger. Wire wound and soldered.
Latest blog entry: DLG builds
Nov 10, 2015, 04:46 PM
BHOFM, the gear on the Cub looks too good to be homemade. Which manufacture is that?
Nov 05, 2018, 02:41 PM
Owner of CFC Graphics
I just bumped into this Thread.

I built a few of these years ago from scratch although I used the late Don Neil's plans. Minor changes.

For a Gee Bee Z that's 33% scale.
Nov 05, 2018, 03:00 PM
What size prop! 16" on a 36" wingspan plane! 1kg is pretty heavy for dsuch a small plane.

Had a plane I built once that would rip landing gear out every time due to the speed landing on grass mind u I was less experienced then

Quick Reply