On Board Glow Drivers. Discussion Q&A - RC Groups
Nov 08, 2015, 07:14 PM
Bret Martin
Discussion

On Board Glow Drivers. Discussion Q&A

I use all 4 stroke, mostly cowled in, and some inverted. I love the on board glow drivers. I have been using Sullivan for many years. When properly set up I just turn it on, hit the starter, and fly. They will sit there an idle for a long as it takes to get to the flight line.
Recently I have noticed several others. Many have been out for a long time but I have no personal experience with them. I just ordered a SwitchGlo Pro unit for a small plane because you can use the receiver battery. Anybody have one and maybe programming advise?
Hopefully we can discuss and get answers for various OBG systems.

I know there are people that swear by CDI ignition systems even for glow engines.
CDI is a great system but this thread is for us glow plug nuts that want to use on board glow and/or experiment with them.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 08, 2015, 08:16 PM
I have been using 4 cycle glow engines since 1976 and own at least 50 of them from the little OS20 up to the OS 5 cylinder and all the OS four cylinders. Several Saitos and Enyas. Never needed a on board glow driver and never had any problems.
Nov 08, 2015, 10:01 PM
Bret Martin
Quote:
Originally Posted by datsunguy
I have been using 4 cycle glow engines since 1976 and own at least 50 of them from the little OS20 up to the OS 5 cylinder and all the OS four cylinders. Several Saitos and Enyas. Never needed a on board glow driver and never had any problems.
Right, I have had many brands of 2 and 4 cycle engines that I didn't use or need on board glow. I started using them for convenience and looks. I have a 1/4 scale Cosmic Wind that has nothing sticking out except an exhaust tube and is cool to fire up without an igniter.
I didn't mean this as a discussion as to whether or not they are needed (obviously they are not) but as a forum for people who enjoy using them to share notes, set up, experience, etc.
Nov 09, 2015, 01:43 AM
most exalted one
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...ug_Driver.html

Works very well also for single or twin.
Nov 09, 2015, 08:09 AM
Bret Martin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4*60
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...ug_Driver.html

Works very well also for single or twin.
Is the 5 minute timer for start up? Do you have it set to come on at low throttle? The description isn't too clear.
Nov 09, 2015, 01:36 PM
most exalted one
5 minute timer is any time. When would someonebe at low throttle for more than 5 minutes? Not me anyway.
Nov 09, 2015, 02:07 PM
Bret Martin
I think I understand. You turn it off and on with the transmitter so you can turn it off after taking off and back on for landing? If you leave it on it turns off after 5 min? Do you use a separate battery?
Nov 09, 2015, 07:10 PM
most exalted one
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickZERO
I think I understand. You turn it off and on with the transmitter so you can turn it off after taking off and back on for landing? If you leave it on it turns off after 5 min? Do you use a separate battery?
You mix it with the throttle channel and have it on for say half throttle and below. I have used these with separate packs and have also used one pack on a model, but 1800mah LIFE. They use about .8 amps on a 6.6 volt LIFE to provide the 4 amps or so at 1.4 volts.

The Chinese got it wrong. They turn on with high signal so you mix it reversed to the throttle or use it on a y with the throttle channel and use a reverser sold by HK for a couple dollars.
Nov 10, 2015, 09:16 AM

Saftey issue

Use them on my Moki 210 engines. Much safer to use on board glow than to be reaching around high powered glow engines to remove igniter. Also very convenient.
Nov 12, 2015, 04:35 PM
Bret Martin

Programming SwitchGlo Pro to Futaba 8 FG

SwitchGlo Pro to Futaba 8FG programming. This should also work for other similar radios. I set the DIP switches to: Glo ON, TX ON, SR +, BUZ ON. I plugged it into channel 7. Set channel 7 to switch SD (you can use any 3 position switch) and set on, on, off. for switch positions. You can use any empty channel, just program the switch to your empty channel. In program mix set channel 7 to aux 6. Link throttle channel to aux 6. Then set the mix points as shown in the pictures. With the switch down (off) it never comes on. Middle position (on) it comes on at idle. Top position (on) it is on all the time for starting. You can adjust the mix curves to raise or lower the point that it turns off above idle. Using a watt meter it draws 1.35 A when on. I am using a 1700 LifePo4 battery with regulator to the receiver but direct to the SwitchGlo. In theory it could be on for an hour but in practice it will only be on for a few minutes each flight. Since the plane uses about 250 mah per 8 min flight I should be good for 4 + flights before recharging. After I get the plane done I will fly and then charge to see what it takes per flight.
Dec 05, 2015, 06:13 PM
Bret Martin

SwitchGlo Pro Flight test.

I few it in my test bed (4 Star 54) 3 times at 7 minutes each. Total 21 minutes plus starting and taxi in and out. It took 385 mah to recharge the 1700 LiFePo4. So I used about 365 mah. This is with one battery for servos, rec, and glow driver. So I could fly it 6 to 7 times before reaching 1/2 capacity of the 1700 battery.
Worked great!
Sep 29, 2016, 06:24 AM
Bret Martin

SwitchGlo Pro update

I now have 5 of the SwitchGlo Pro. I have had 0 problems over about a year of constant use. They are convenient, safer, and easy to use. I am spoiled.
Sep 29, 2016, 07:01 AM
Thanks for the update report
Oct 31, 2017, 09:33 AM
Bret Martin

Futaba 14 SG

I just bought a Futaba 14 SG. I transferred 11 models from my Futaba 8FG using the flash card. Everything transferred perfect and didn't have to re-set up the glow drivers.
Oct 31, 2017, 11:04 AM
Still a viable option is the shopmade and older use of a levered micro electronic switch, controlled by the arm of a servo, to provide battery heat at low throttle. These switches typically are rated for 5 or 10 amps at 120volts so they are robust enough to handle the current from 1.2 volt NiCad or other battery. A wheel collar on the glow plug provides the attachment of the heater wire.

https://www.google.ca/search?source=....0.zX3pfCLdTsU

Michael in Ontario, Canada