Non-foiling trimarans and catamarans - Page 9 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Aug 11, 2017, 09:52 AM
To keep the build easily accessible I will use the DF65 rudder - USD 4.3 and keel (slightly modified) - USD 6.2
to remove ads between posts
Aug 11, 2017, 10:03 AM

65M contd.

The boat will be something like a 650 mm, non-wing sail version of the MultiOne boat below (but with just one central rudder):

MultiONE Catamaran (2 min 0 sec)
Aug 11, 2017, 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mijj
I will build the hulls from plastic Coreflute (5mm thick). One sheet (900 mm x 600 mm) should be sufficient. - USD 6.2

The pieces will be taped together with outdoor masking tape, one roll. - USD 3.9

The central spar and cross bars will be aluminium channel (10 mmx 10 mm) 1 m length - USD 3.8
Good, innovated to start. But fair warning, corflute or coroplast can be a bear to join as it is slick and oily. One trick is to "flash" it by hitting with a quick flame. It will allow you to join with CA or paint.

Have you thought about joining/sealing with hotglue instead of masking tape? Might be cheaper/lighter.
Aug 11, 2017, 10:19 AM
I've actually used this tape on a number of boats, mostly with Depron foam, but also with coreflute. It seals and lasts surprisingly well.

Examples:

RC 65M Wing Sail Catamaran - Testing Foil Configurations (1 min 40 sec)

MultiONE Foam Cat (1 min 29 sec)
Aug 16, 2017, 01:40 PM
MIJJ,

A nice series of cats, the orange boat looks like it has braces on!

I know that the "braces" are away to twitch the rigging from boat to boat if need be. Smart idea!

See everyone, multihulls can be made to beat the price of production boats, and I imagine sails much better that a Volans or a Skate. Not all boats have to be round bilge to move fast. In mutihulls, having hard chines is not a drawback. In my A boat design, Mako, she struggles a little upwind, but reaching and downwind she keeps up and in medium conditions she might be faster than other designs on these points of sail.

Since r/c cats don't heel much (but when they do, if it is out of control, you want it to drop back down so both hulls are in the water) they don't care about being hard chine, they will still be fast. To see if this a correct observation we need a round bilge boat to go up against one of MIJJ hard chine cats and see if there is a difference.

Mijj, can you publish the panels of your best boat design here, so others can build one?
Aug 18, 2017, 02:45 PM
All quiet on the western front?
Yesterday, 03:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niel1055
All quiet on the western front?
A bit distracted. Will provide some designs when I get a chance.
Yesterday, 07:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niel1055
MIJJ,

A nice series of cats, the orange boat looks like it has braces on!

I know that the "braces" are away to twitch the rigging from boat to boat if need be. Smart idea!

See everyone, multihulls can be made to beat the price of production boats, and I imagine sails much better that a Volans or a Skate. Not all boats have to be round bilge to move fast. In mutihulls, having hard chines is not a drawback. In my A boat design, Mako, she struggles a little upwind, but reaching and downwind she keeps up and in medium conditions she might be faster than other designs on these points of sail.

Since r/c cats don't heel much (but when they do, if it is out of control, you want it to drop back down so both hulls are in the water) they don't care about being hard chine, they will still be fast. To see if this a correct observation we need a round bilge boat to go up against one of MIJJ hard chine cats and see if there is a difference.

Mijj, can you publish the panels of your best boat design here, so others can build one?
================================
In my opinion thats not the point. Mijj's innovative building and experimental designs are great. But to generate real interest, in my opinion, the multiONE has to be matched up with existing one meter mono's including the IOM and win! People are not likely to trade in their fast ,self-righting monos for a multi that capsizes and is slow* around a course.
*NOT referring to any existing multiONE designs
---------------------

Mijj, have you had a chance to race any of your multiONE cats/tri's against a well proven ,fast mono?
Yesterday, 02:05 PM
Okay Doug,

I get your point. Beat an IOM with a OneMeter multihull. I am sure you can come up with one that can do this. I would like to see an experienced multihull sailor like yourself challenge a good IOM sailor, and see the outcome of multiple heats. You can workout on a triangular course and/or a slalom course.

My point was that the Dragon Force monohulls are very popular not because they are particularly fast, but their price point is hard to beat. If you can come up with a multihull that is pretty fast, and is hard to capsize or pitch pole, and won't break the bank to put together, then you have a winning proposition. Yes, those are a few attributes that are hard to square, but that is the challenge that we face to make multihulls capture a positive image.

So, do we want to attract millionaires who have an r/c trimaran that costs as much as a used car or do we want to focus on the majority of r/c monohull sailors that can't afford a high end carbon boat or sit-on boat sailors whose season has ended but still want to race something fast? Time to choose.