This thread is privately moderated by like.2.fly, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 07, 2015, 01:45 PM
Mike M.
Thread OP
Discussion

Packing a DLG for transport or shipment

Nothing fancy. I keep it simple by using a strong heavy 62" x 9" x 10" cardboard box. Usually the one I received my DLG in when I bought it new. I like the boxes with full-length slip-on lids. You can fit up to 5 DLG's in one box with careful packing. I have shipped and received many DLG's this way, and never had an issue.

1. Put the wing in foam wing bags (tape aileron roots to wing root so they can't move).
2. Remove the horizontal stab, put it in protective cover, and tape it to the wing (control horn facing out).
3. Put protective foam sleeves on rudder.
4. Place wing and fuselage in box and then pack all open space with loose foam, bubble wrap, crumpled newspaper, foam packing peanuts, or whatever material you have. Don't pack tightly. Keep it loose. Pack material between wing and fuse, and arrange items so nothing is touching the inside wall or bottom or top of box. Leaving it loose helps protect if something punctures the box during transport (the items can move a little bit instead of breaking).
5. For extra protection (I usually don't do this) you can tape a 61" length of 3/4" pvc pipe inside the box (to prevent lengthwise crushing). And/or build square box ends from plywood, and glue them to inside of both box ends (to prevent box crushing side to side or top to bottom).
6. Always buy full value shipping insurance, just in case.
Last edited by like.2.fly; Nov 07, 2015 at 08:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply