Nov 06, 2015, 09:24 PM
Thread OP
Question

Can I Convert 23.8mm Pin Drive Wheels to Hex Drive?

I recently obtained a set of (4) 1/8 scale nitro on-road car foam tires mounted on carbon plastic wheels. All of them are for the REAR, so they are all fairly wide. I want to use them on one of my 1/10 or 1/8 buggies for zipping around on the road. When I got them, I thought they were going to be 17mm hex. They are NOT!

These wheels use a 23.8mm pin drive. They were made by GQ Racing and are model number M18S35R. From what I've been able to find in research, they are called "Mugen/Kyosho Mount" (Japanese) as opposed to "Serpent" Mount" (European). They look just like the ones shown in the link below, although these may have a different offset:

http://www.redrc.net/2011/07/capricorn-18-scale-wheels/

All of my rigs run either 12mm or 17mm. Is there any way to adapt or mod these wheels to fit a hex drive, preferably 17mm?

NOTE: I tried removing the hex adapter from one of my buggies to see if I could mount the wheel directly to the axle against the pin, but that idea failed. The threads for a mounting nut were only on the hex adapter, so removing the hex adapter made it a no-go.
Last edited by MailManX; Nov 07, 2015 at 10:20 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 07, 2015, 11:20 AM
Did I make the A Main?
never heard of this type of adapter, assuming you can't return the wheels, it might be worth looking for new wheels that are compatible and consider soaking your tires in acetone to remove them and remount on new compatible wheels instead?
Nov 07, 2015, 03:38 PM
Suspended Account
well i think this will work .all depend on axle shaft layout..as most 1/8 scale i have used the 17mm pin holds this piece on. and if you have a hardened drill i think you could remove axle and 17mm mount and drill a hole to use you new foams..drill the hole to use a pin so you will have both a pinned 17mm axle,,
Nov 12, 2015, 09:43 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_delong
never heard of this type of adapter, assuming you can't return the wheels, it might be worth looking for new wheels that are compatible and consider soaking your tires in acetone to remove them and remount on new compatible wheels instead?
I'd never heard of it, either. I ordered them from Hong Kong really cheap. They appear to be authentic GQ Racing tires and wheels which are supposed to be pretty great for road racing. It was my mistake. Several wheels on the same page were for 17mm hex. I ordered these because they were the widest wheels on the page, but missed that they were not hex wheels.

I'm leery of trying to soak them off because GQ Racing is known for very thorough gluing, not just around the edges. They are trued and balanced from the factory. I'd hate to mess that up.
Nov 12, 2015, 09:45 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by losi man
well i think this will work .all depend on axle shaft layout..as most 1/8 scale i have used the 17mm pin holds this piece on. and if you have a hardened drill i think you could remove axle and 17mm mount and drill a hole to use you new foams..drill the hole to use a pin so you will have both a pinned 17mm axle,,
I like this idea. It will allow me to make good use of the new drill press that I recently purchased. I may not get to this for a while since I seem to always have more projects than any one person should. However, if and/or when I do, I'll post back on how it went and include a few pics.

Quick Reply