ImmersionRC Vortex 250 Pro - Page 51 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Feb 09, 2016, 01:17 PM
The Sum of all Evils
Quote:
Originally Posted by jafoca
XSR even available yet?

I have an internal X4R - didn't even bother de-pining it. Probably will get an XSR soon and swap it out, use the X4R on a flying wing or something
yeah it's out now or very soon (I thought getfpv supposedly had it in stock? but now it says 2/14, so next week)

ditto, didn't bother, heat shrink tubing took care of that.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 09, 2016, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashie
or buy an XSR and be done with it.

Sure, once it's available. I need to say: de pinning and covering in heat shrink became a ritual of sorts.
I do not mind
Feb 09, 2016, 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by excelfreak
Hi all,

noob here. Have a few micro quads (Hubsan, Nano) and want to scale up. Got the Vortex 250 and have a Lemon 8Channel receiver with the satellite. Radio is DX8.

I bound the rx/sat combo to the radio.
I connected the supplied cable to the plug on the board, as per manual.
When I plug in the sat and power up I see the LED on the sat is on (and goes off when I turn the radio off) so I assume they are connected.

However, the Vortex doesn't see it. I checked in CF on the radio tab nothing moves.

When I plug the full rx (not the satellite) into the original plug the Vortex sees it and everything is fine.

While this gets me in the air, I would prefer the satellite as it has a little plastic case and appears more protected.

I read all 100 pages and followed some of the suggestions here. I just can't get it to work with just the satellite.

Could someone kindly tell me how you did it, as I hear numerous people are using those.

Thanks
Did you go into cleanflight and change the receiver to spek sat? Then select 2048 resolution below?
Feb 09, 2016, 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinpratt823
Did you go into cleanflight and change the receiver to spek sat? Then select 2048 resolution below?

no I haven't - will try now
Feb 09, 2016, 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by excelfreak
no I haven't - will try now
that was the ticket!! thank you very much

only needed to change to speksat
SPEKTRUM2048 was already selected

I can see now on the radio tab things moving - will adjust endpoints and travel now

Thanks again - I tried for HOURS yesterday
Feb 09, 2016, 02:29 PM
I've never owned a vortex and I am considering it now, so I have a few questions. When you get the vortex I assume it has some version of Betaflight installed etc. I've understood that you can still log on to cleanflight and start changing PIDS and stuff. Even upgrade to latest betaflight hex etc.
Is the any risk with doing stuff like that? Will you lose all the protunes? Will the OSD still show things correctly?

I ask because I am used to build my quads from scratch and then setup them in cleanflight.
Feb 09, 2016, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronblom
I've never owned a vortex and I am considering it now, so I have a few questions. When you get the vortex I assume it has some version of Betaflight installed etc. I've understood that you can still log on to cleanflight and start changing PIDS and stuff. Even upgrade to latest betaflight hex etc.
Is the any risk with doing stuff like that? Will you lose all the protunes? Will the OSD still show things correctly?

I ask because I am used to build my quads from scratch and then setup them in cleanflight.
If you get the FW from the IRC site you're pretty safe, but it doesn't necessarily have to be. You want to update to a current osd FW to be sure it is compatible with the newer Betaflight. The 2.1.6 and the 2.3.3 Betaflights from IRC site both have an OSD FW as part of the same folder, because the OSD update accommodates the newer Beta and the protunes may have adjusted accordingly. I have run bothe 2.1.6 w/osd and 2.3.3 w/osd on the 250, and also loaded 2.1.6 on my 285 without issues.
Feb 09, 2016, 02:49 PM
Hey, Can anyone tell me how wide the PDB is at the center section? Thanks. Anyone happen to have a "broken" one that is just physically broken near the arms but fine electrically?
Feb 09, 2016, 03:33 PM
What is everyone using for a prop wrench with their Vortexes? I have been using pliers and don't like doing so!
Feb 09, 2016, 04:30 PM
Team AJ Aircraft
Dubro makes a 4 way wrench, it works awesome!
Feb 09, 2016, 04:33 PM
Hi, I changed my Vortec engines for a cobra, but now the ESC 4 is desynchronized.
As I can synchronize the four ESC?
Feb 09, 2016, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alext
Hi, I changed my Vortec engines for a cobra, but now the ESC 4 is desynchronized.
As I can synchronize the four ESC?
I changed motors the other day too, for me motor 1 was out of sync so calibrated using the method below. But for some reason motor 1 kept shutting down once armed but through cleanflight motors tab motor was fine but once armed through my tx it would shut down after a bit. I also noticed that it was not idleing smooth and motors were pulsing. Thought I might of stuffed a number 1 esc in the de-solder and solder so have one on order. Still confused about the pulsing still

Method.....
Put power to your rx from a 5v power supply, this will provide power to the flight controller to access cleanflight. Then do the normal motor calibration through the motors tab as you would normally,
Feb 09, 2016, 05:30 PM
The Sum of all Evils
Quote:
What is everyone using for a prop wrench with their Vortexes? I have been using pliers and don't like doing so!
craftsman 5/16 nut driver.
Feb 09, 2016, 06:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyro001
I changed motors the other day too, for me motor 1 was out of sync so calibrated using the method below. But for some reason motor 1 kept shutting down once armed but through cleanflight motors tab motor was fine but once armed through my tx it would shut down after a bit. I also noticed that it was not idleing smooth and motors were pulsing. Thought I might of stuffed a number 1 esc in the de-solder and solder so have one on order. Still confused about the pulsing still

Method.....
Put power to your rx from a 5v power supply, this will provide power to the flight controller to access cleanflight. Then do the normal motor calibration through the motors tab as you would normally,
OK, thanks will try it as you say
Feb 09, 2016, 07:56 PM
Giant Scale 3D/IMAC & FPV
I posted this on another thread, but I know a couple of guys were wondering about the XNovas a few pages ago. I flew my Xnova 2204 2300's again today and man I'm loving them. Done 16 flights on them now. These are the smoothest and best quality/craftsmanship motors I've ever owned. They're on par or better than all my larger Motrolfly motors, KDE's and Scorpions as I said earlier in this thread. My only complaint with them is that the "spread" washer seems a little soft material wise and their bend seems to have come out of all of them slightly, causing a slight amount of up & down bell play. I might just swap out the spread washers with standard spacer washers to give exact bearing preload instead. They sure run well on 2000khz in 2.3.5 tho!!

Maybe I should bench test them tonight for you guys with some prop data. Maybe if I can get the kids in bed in time I'll do that as I've been meaning to for a few weeks now... My wife and I just had a baby girl this weekend so I'm a little busy to say the least!

The vortex pro sure rips on these suckers tho!! Loving them! I'll post up a video shortly.

-Travis
Feb 09, 2016, 08:01 PM
Quote:
craftsman 5/16 nut driver.
It's 8mm btw, metric nut matches metric 5mm shaft... 5/16 will work tho. I'm using a 1/4" drive screwdriver w/ 8mm deep socket. Works great and gives perfect torque on nuts without overtorquing
Last edited by Eganwp; Feb 09, 2016 at 08:18 PM.
Feb 09, 2016, 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinpratt823
If you get the FW from the IRC site you're pretty safe, but it doesn't necessarily have to be. You want to update to a current osd FW to be sure it is compatible with the newer Betaflight. The 2.1.6 and the 2.3.3 Betaflights from IRC site both have an OSD FW as part of the same folder, because the OSD update accommodates the newer Beta and the protunes may have adjusted accordingly. I have run bothe 2.1.6 w/osd and 2.3.3 w/osd on the 250, and also loaded 2.1.6 on my 285 without issues.
I've done 16 flights now on BF 2.3.5 with the latest OSD firmware from IRC, airmode, 2khz, etc and it all seems to be working perfectly. Haven't found a bug yet and I've changed a lot of pid's and profiles. Hopefully that helps for someone curious to have the latest releases that you should be fine. I would wait on 2.4.0 though as the release candidates are still having lots of bugs and will likely need a few OSD tweaks from IRC first.

-Travis
Feb 09, 2016, 08:16 PM
I also ended up uncasing my X4R-SB RX again, heat shrinking it, putting small foam pads on and mounting it inside the quad.

Also, someone a couple pages ago was asking about what to do with the PDB camera connector to keep it from getting sheared off by camera in a crash. What I did a few weeks ago was form a nice fillet around the entire camera connector receiver that's connected to the PDB and the PDB itself with Hysol epoxy (aircraft grade). Works great and is 100x stronger than hot glue. Seems to be working as I haven't had a single issue yet. Not sure if you can see it very well, but here's a pic of the mod.

- Travis
Feb 09, 2016, 08:36 PM

stripped threads on motor shaft - replacments?

i have stripped two of the motor shafts to where they are unsuable.

I have the blade version with the "custom" v-spec motors - which have removable replaceable shaft / plates but i can't find anyone online that sells them?

I emailed Immersion regarding and they said, check with your retailer.

Anyone have any ideas? Who makes the actual v-specl 2204's on the stock blade vortex 250 pro???
Feb 09, 2016, 08:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eganwp
I also ended up uncasing my X4R-SB RX again, heat shrinking it, putting small foam pads on and mounting it inside the quad.

Also, someone a couple pages ago was asking about what to do with the PDB camera connector to keep it from getting sheared off by camera in a crash. What I did a few weeks ago was form a nice fillet around the entire camera connector receiver that's connected to the PDB and the PDB itself with Hysol epoxy (aircraft grade). Works great and is 100x stronger than hot glue. Seems to be working as I haven't had a single issue yet. Not sure if you can see it very well, but here's a pic of the mod.

- Travis
Thanks for identifying this material (Hysol epoxy). I noticed this being used on my Blade 200QX circuit board to secure battery wires and wondered what it was. Do you have a specific recommendation on the type of Hysol that is best for this application?
Feb 09, 2016, 08:42 PM
The Sum of all Evils
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eganwp
It's 8mm btw, metric nut matches metric 5mm shaft... 5/16 will work tho. I'm using a 1/4" drive screwdriver w/ 8mm deep socket. Works great and gives perfect torque on nuts without overtorquing

yep, it's an 8mm driver heh. I had both in the box
Feb 09, 2016, 08:42 PM
Hysol 9462 is what you want to use, but really, any epoxy will work well in this application. I just like to use what's strongest where possible.

-Travis
Feb 10, 2016, 08:08 AM
Quote:
XSR even available yet?

I have an internal X4R - didn't even bother de-pining it. Probably will get an XSR soon and swap it out, use the X4R on a flying wing or something
Yes they are. I ordered 3 XSR's from GetFPV lastweek on 2/3, received them on Friday 2/5. Interestingly on the PCB the silk screen says x4r_s. Since the antennae are direct soldered to the board, I don't think there is any benefit going to an XSR from a X4R.
Feb 10, 2016, 01:38 PM
Quote:
yeah it's out now or very soon (I thought getfpv supposedly had it in stock? but now it says 2/14, so next week)

ditto, didn't bother, heat shrink tubing took care of that.
Or just buy the standard X4r Sbus as I do and cut the pins off and take the sleeve off.
Feb 10, 2016, 01:45 PM
Managed to get in 16 flights on the Vortex Pro the last two days. Loving this thing on the Xnovas! Here's a quick video of my 1st flight on 3s (other than my first flight crash 2 mins in on the stock motors), so please excuse the noob flying. Haha! This is on the Xnova 2204-2300's on 3s, GF 5045BN but not much full throttle.

ImmersionRC Vortex 250 Pro Maiden - GoPro FPV Drone Racing (3 min 53 sec)

Travis
Feb 10, 2016, 04:53 PM
I have some 1800 I think 75c luminers batteries.. will this be too heavy? Flight times? I only fly under 4 mins so no big deal. I will also put a go pro on so not sure if 1800 and go pro will be bit too much weight
Feb 11, 2016, 01:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted_B
Is someone else having problems with pro-tune no 4?
It does not respond to pitch and roll, only throttle and yaw.
Has no one else tried no4 or is no one else having the same problem with it?
Is someone willing to try to see if it's just my quad or if it is a general problem?
Feb 11, 2016, 04:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted_B
Has no one else tried no4 or is no one else having the same problem with it?
Is someone willing to try to see if it's just my quad or if it is a general problem?
Haven't been able to fly due to weather, which pt is 4?
Feb 11, 2016, 07:10 AM
High Dynamic Thrust
props topic gents.... since day one out of the box, I had jello issues with the cam. tossed stock props and put on HQ 5x4.5r BN and had same issue. Then I balanced the blades and also the prop hubs, which were very out of balance. this help only a little. still had jello. so I put on the skinny props 5x4.5 and didn't even balance them, although they are a fraction of the weight compared to the BN props. the jello was gone with the skinnies. the BN props I balanced just don't seem to be true aka not a centered hub. I balanced very well and double checked. So, moving forward, I want to go back to using a BN prop but who produces a quality prop? balanced? a true centered hub?
Feb 11, 2016, 08:41 AM
The Sum of all Evils
Quote:
Originally Posted by BldrFlyr
Or just buy the standard X4r Sbus as I do and cut the pins off and take the sleeve off.
yeah I have a pile of em, but don't like taking pins off in case of future repurposing ..just some heat shrink tubing does the trick.

but having one of these does make it easy should I decide to do so
Aoyue 8800 desoldering gun.