ImmersionRC Vortex 250 Pro - Page 194 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jul 14, 2017, 01:52 PM
dol
dol
Hi Steve, I agree, stick with the Ummagawd and you'll be fine. The Vortex will probably come with several different PID presets that you can select from... I wouldn't worry about all this.

What I would worry about though is your DX6i. I went through the same process with my 'regular' Vortex 250 Pro and was never able to get my DX6i to bind and fly the copter. You need a very recent DX6i at the very least which 'may' work. Horizon gave me a discount to buy a new DX6 after I spent about two weeks trying to get my DX6i to work. Apparently people have done it... but I could not. I ended up applying my discount to a new DX9 which I love and had zero problems binding and flying the Vortex.

Anyway, sorry to be the bearer of possibly bad news... but be prepared. Your DX6i will either bind right off the bat if it is DSMX based or it won't. I had two guys in Sales tell me the DX6i was no problem. I went through at least 3 guys in Tech Support until it was finally determined mine would never work... not sure where the gap was here... but there it was.

Good luck. You'll love the Vortex when you get it flying. If you're not dedicated to Spektrum you may consider joining the rest of the Quadcopter world and get the Taranis.

d
to remove ads between posts
Jul 14, 2017, 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dol
Hi Steve, I agree, stick with the Ummagawd and you'll be fine. The Vortex will probably come with several different PID presets that you can select from... I wouldn't worry about all this.

What I would worry about though is your DX6i. I went through the same process with my 'regular' Vortex 250 Pro and was never able to get my DX6i to bind and fly the copter. You need a very recent DX6i at the very least which 'may' work. Horizon gave me a discount to buy a new DX6 after I spent about two weeks trying to get my DX6i to work. Apparently people have done it... but I could not. I ended up applying my discount to a new DX9 which I love and had zero problems binding and flying the Vortex.

Anyway, sorry to be the bearer of possibly bad news... but be prepared. Your DX6i will either bind right off the bat if it is DSMX based or it won't. I had two guys in Sales tell me the DX6i was no problem. I went through at least 3 guys in Tech Support until it was finally determined mine would never work... not sure where the gap was here... but there it was.

Good luck. You'll love the Vortex when you get it flying. If you're not dedicated to Spektrum you may consider joining the rest of the Quadcopter world and get the Taranis.

d
Hey, thanks for all the information. I will literally give my dx6i 10 minutes and if it doesn't work, to the LHS I go. I run about 8 models using Spektrum so I will be sticking with it. I just regret not getting the dx6 sooner.
Jul 14, 2017, 02:53 PM
EIEIEIO Classic is dway ta go!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveb25
Thank you my friend, chances are I'll be back in here with questions.
I'll help if I can.
I started with the Vortex 285 on 3s and beat that up learning but it took the abuse very well. Moved up to the 250 Pro on 4s and flew that upgrading the firmware along the way and trying and learning about tuning.
Now I'm up to the UM version on 4s. Using a Spektrum DX9 with the telemetry receivers.

Stick with it and you'll get it......practice, practice, practice !
Last edited by flyinwalenda; Jul 14, 2017 at 04:45 PM.
Jul 14, 2017, 04:28 PM
dol
dol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveb25
Hey, thanks for all the information. I will literally give my dx6i 10 minutes and if it doesn't work, to the LHS I go. I run about 8 models using Spektrum so I will be sticking with it. I just regret not getting the dx6 sooner.
I think Horizon gave me a $50 or $75 credit towards a new radio when my DX6i didn't work out. Just let them know that you had checked with Customer Service before you bought the Vortex and were told the DX6i would work.

Figure out how to put Horizon and Acro modes on a switch on your radio. You may want to try Horizon mode for the first few batteries just to get the hang of the throttle control, but after that just switch to Acro and start flying. That's what I did. I won't say it wasn't scary, it was. But eventually it all starts coming together and when you accidentally hit that Horizon switch you'll be wondering why the copter isn't flying right.

Fly your 3S batts first and then fly the 4S, the 3S are a nice warm up. You'll want to start adding 4S batts to your inventory as the Vortex wants the extra power to pull out of the steep dives. I still fly all my 3S batts and actually enjoy them quite a bit. I have three 1800 mAh 3S batts that I get 5-6 minute flight times out of and they're great to fly in small tight spaces as the weight helps slow the bird down nicely. But you will want those 4 cells. So start adding one every time you go to the hobby shop, ha.

Enjoy!

d

Enjoy
Jul 14, 2017, 11:04 PM
Great, I really appreciate the feedback guys. I will keep you posted
Jul 16, 2017, 01:41 PM
I was able to bind and setup etc but when I arm the motors they automatically start spinning and I can't get the to stop unless I disarm. Also when I disarm the motors it starts beeping. Is this the lost model alarm? Any way to make that stop without arming motors?
Last edited by Steveb25; Jul 16, 2017 at 01:53 PM.
Jul 16, 2017, 01:54 PM
Motor spin upon arming is default. To change it you need to hook up the quad to the configurator and open the configuration tab and look for Motor_Stop (don't spin motor when armed) and tick the box under Enabled.

The morse code beeping is S.O.S. and will start when the throttle has been off/low for 20 seconds. It is the lost model alarm. To stop the alarm just raise the throttle gimbal a few clicks and the alarm will stop. Make sure to lower the throttle before arming again.
Jul 16, 2017, 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
Motor spin upon arming is default. To change it you need to hook up the quad to the configurator and open the configuration tab and look for Motor_Stop (don't spin motor when armed) and tick the box under Enabled.

The morse code beeping is S.O.S. and will start when the throttle has been off/low for 20 seconds. It is the lost model alarm. To stop the alarm just raise the throttle gimbal a few clicks and the alarm will stop. Make sure to lower the throttle before arming again.
Okay thanks. Just wasn't sure if that was supposed to happen. For the record, the 3 flight modes do come pre programmed. This thing flies awesome.

Right now I'm using a lemon ppm receiver and have the satellite too, but didnt put in on yet. Do I really need it? Also, I purchased one of those ppm cables to use just a satellite and no receiver. Does anyone use one of those? Or is the actually receiver my best bet?

Thanks for all the help!
Jul 16, 2017, 05:54 PM
RC Addict
Guys I have been flying LOS for about 20 years but just starter FPV. I have only tried my Vortex 250 Pro a handful of times but every time I just feel like FPV may not be for me. How many packs would you say it took you to be able to fly comfortably?
Jul 16, 2017, 06:17 PM
First , I didn't start FPV flying with a racing wing or quad. I started by putting a camera/vtx backpack on a UMX Radian and got comfortable with that,; first sitting then after a few weeks standing. I then went to a large plane and got used to flying higher and faster. Then I went to the Vortex 285 and it took me some time to get used to the handling and speed and it took a real beating. After a while and bags of props later I was able to fly through gates and then moved onto the 250.
I'm no expert but I do know that some people can not use goggles to fly (makes them ill) and have to use a ground station monitor.
I would suggest trying a small plane first to get used to flying fpv .
Jul 16, 2017, 08:00 PM
How important is it to flash the new firmware? Mine came with the old versions installed.
Jul 17, 2017, 01:21 PM

UmmaGawd 250 dipping

I'm flying a UmmaGawd 250 and noticed yesterday when I punch out and cut the throttle at the top that the drone banks slightly left. It only happens when I drop the throttle all the way.

Do you think there's a motor that's going bad on the left side? A esc wouldn't cause it, correct?

Thanks!
Jul 17, 2017, 06:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TScott
I'm flying a UmmaGawd 250 and noticed yesterday when I punch out and cut the throttle at the top that the drone banks slightly left. It only happens when I drop the throttle all the way.

Do you think there's a motor that's going bad on the left side? A esc wouldn't cause it, correct?

Thanks!
Are you leaning on the sticks?
Jul 17, 2017, 06:40 PM
(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankFuss
Yes, this is the plug & play Tramp Module for the Vortex 250, and for only $23.50.

https://www.helidirect.com/immersion...0-275-285.html
Is this actually available to purchase anywhere that it will ship any time soon... or is it still mythical? Have seen that pre-order stay the same for a while.
Jul 17, 2017, 08:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
Are you leaning on the sticks?

I don't believe so. I punchout full throttle, go to zero throttle to do a trick at the top and it does a slight left roll as soon as I bottom the throttle out.
Jul 18, 2017, 02:09 AM
Hi there,
I had a strange failure on my vortex:
After take off and a few seconds of flight my vortex fell of the sky - motors off - no video signal. After checking battery and testing another one, it seems that the PDB is dead: The bird doesn’t power up any more - no LED blinking - no sound - no connection via USB - nothing. XT60 connector and cables towards the PDB are ok - connection PDB to fusion board seems ok as well. Any ideas?

My setup:
3S
PDB V 2.0
5 x 4,5 BN 2 blade
Jul 19, 2017, 04:36 AM
For those who own the UmmaGawd Edition - is the Fat Shark camera actually close to HS1177 image quality? ???
Jul 19, 2017, 11:04 AM
(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnoodle
For those who own the UmmaGawd Edition - is the Fat Shark camera actually close to HS1177 image quality? ???
No, it's not in my opinion. My friend changed his out to an hs1190 a while back because of it.
Jul 19, 2017, 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCC
No, it's not in my opinion. My friend changed his out to an hs1190 a while back because of it.
That's what I was afraid of.
Jul 19, 2017, 11:39 AM
RC Addict
How is the Rotor Riot camera compare?
Jul 19, 2017, 12:48 PM
sillygoo.se
Can someone point out the Video Out and GND pins? Is there any difference between different mainboard versions?

I have a Prosight but I need to access the OSD to upgrade and my VTX is kaput.
Jul 19, 2017, 08:19 PM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnoodle
I have been flying the Ummagawd since its release and the camera is quite good. I have no issues as is stock.
Jul 19, 2017, 09:41 PM
dol
dol
I'm guessing the UmmaGawd has the same camera as the 250 Pro? If so, it's a better camera than the Rotor Riot camera straight out of the box. I have been trying to tune the RR camera and am getting closer to the quality of the Fat Shark in my Vortex 250 Pro.

I tried to mount the RR camera in my Vortex the other day, same body as the 1177 and I didn't think the fit was very good. I did have the hinge around backwards. I think one of the Runcam minis or whatever they are called would fit beautifully without modification. But that's just a guess.

Personally, with the exception of the price I just paid for it, I like the original Fatshark camera.

Dennis
Jul 19, 2017, 10:21 PM
Does anyone have a diagram or a link to what each figure, mostly top figures, on the OSD mean? Also, the random signal symbol with a number below it that pops up in the center of screen randomly.
Jul 19, 2017, 11:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dol
I'm guessing the UmmaGawd has the same camera as the 250 Pro? If so, it's a better camera than the Rotor Riot camera straight out of the box. I have been trying to tune the RR camera and am getting closer to the quality of the Fat Shark in my Vortex 250 Pro.
Try running it over in your car a few times. That should do it!

The original Vortex 250 Pro CMOS cam is absolutely atrocious. If your Runcam Swift RR Edition does not work significantly (and I mean night and day) better than the stock Vortex cam, you most probably have a dud. Get yourself a replacement and see what a *good FPV camera looks like.
Jul 21, 2017, 12:23 PM
I am using a Lemon PPM receiver and all three 3 rssi numbers at the top of the osd are the same, which I guess because there is no satellite attached. Is it better for that number to be higher or lower? I googled it, and ive read conflicting information. I've also read Spektrum does not support rssi. Does someone have clarification?
Jul 22, 2017, 10:37 AM
Hooked on RC

ProTunes reconfigure PIDs

When using each ProTune does the PID tune also change?
Jul 26, 2017, 09:29 AM
I am considering going with some tornado t2 2600 kv motors on this quad. I tried it and I already took out a speed control and it took out my pdb. I am thinking about replacing the speed controls with some 30A blheli ones that I got from readytoflyquads and swapping in a new version 2.1 board which I believe handles more amps than the original stock one. Anyone successfully changed out the speed controls? Any issues problems with what I am proposing? thanks.
Jul 26, 2017, 09:48 PM
The ground is the limit!
Yes Pro Tunes change the PID’s
Jul 27, 2017, 09:44 AM
RC Addict
Just got a runcam rotor riot camera in the mail to try and wondering what I have to do to mount it and wire it in?