ImmersionRC Vortex 250 Pro - Page 187 - RC Groups
May 08, 2017, 12:59 AM
250 and 275 are the same only difference in arm length
to remove ads between posts
May 08, 2017, 02:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwijnhov
250 and 275 are the same only difference in arm length
Ok, great. That means the bottom plates are also the same.
May 08, 2017, 07:07 AM
I finally got around to swapping out my "coffee grinders" for the Emax RS2205-2300kV motors (the original model, which are great value these days). And now I know why people like them!

Which has got me thinking: has anyone here tried the new Emax TS2306-2300kV motors on their Vortex? Or the RS2306-2400kV white tops?
May 08, 2017, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnoodle
I finally got around to swapping out my "coffee grinders" for the Emax RS2205-2300kV motors (the original model, which are great value these days). And now I know why people like them!

Which has got me thinking: has anyone here tried the new Emax TS2306-2300kV motors on their Vortex? Or the RS2306-2400kV white tops?

Those are the heaviest motors I've ever seen at 34 grams A PIECE! The vortex needs weight removed not added.

The white tops would kill your ESCS not to mention all the complaints about magnets slipping on them.

I would definitely look at a different motor choice.
May 08, 2017, 02:07 PM
What's the go to motor for the vortex 250 these days for regular intermediate pilot just playing around at parks?
May 08, 2017, 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyroneFPV
Those are the heaviest motors I've ever seen at 34 grams A PIECE! The vortex needs weight removed not added.
Hey, add 16g of weight and at least 800g of thrust - seems like a good trade-off to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyroneFPV
The white tops would kill your ESCS not to mention all the complaints about magnets slipping on them.

I would definitely look at a different motor choice.
Yeah, I saw that there are problems with the magnets. No worries - I'm not looking at any particular motor to replace the Emax RS2205-2300kV motors any time soon. Except maybe the Emax RS2205S-2300kV (the new S version), once these wear out or I break them, by which time something even better might be available.

I'm keeping the spare parts choices for the Vortex on the 'budget' side of things, not 'cutting-edge'. I have other quads if I want to buy the current flavour of the month as far as motors go. But, it's good to see that better motor choices might be available down the road for the Vortex, even if Immersion RC don't update the internals in the meantime.
May 08, 2017, 07:51 PM
The ground is the limit!
Racerstar 2205's from Banggood are nice.
May 08, 2017, 10:05 PM
Question for all of you. I swore to myself that I would never update the 250 again. Well... I upgraded to the newest FW and OSD. All Loads fine. Using Spektrum as well. When The startup menu comes up its in Spektrum 1028 and not in 2048. When I change it in Betaflight it does not update it. What happend to the Auto detection? What am I doing wrong?
May 09, 2017, 01:11 AM
If yo want to change it youhave to do it in the vortex configurator.
May 09, 2017, 03:59 PM
Quote:
If yo want to change it youhave to do it in the vortex configurator.
Thank you for the info. It was driving me nuts. Whats up with the PIDS all being in the 40's?
May 10, 2017, 07:27 AM
Long Island, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkGriffin
Whats up with the PIDS all being in the 40's?
Dunno what's up with the INITIAL PIDS, but it flies fine. I think they are an excellent starting point for the masses.

Frankly, after watching Joshua Bardwell's superb (if long-winded) explanation of PIDS, I feel fully confident that any custom setup I wish to dial in can be done with confidence. This is a must watch video, IMHO:
Joshua Bardwell PID Tuning Masterclass @ NYCDFF 2017 (37 min 2 sec)
May 10, 2017, 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawyerFrank
Dunno what's up with the INITIAL PIDS, but it flies fine. I think they are an excellent starting point for the masses.

Frankly, after watching Joshua Bardwell's superb (if long-winded) explanation of PIDS, I feel fully confident that any custom setup I wish to dial in can be done with confidence. This is a must watch video, IMHO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7GUq1Kxvzk
Couldn't agree more. Joshua did an AMAZING job giving a very down to earth perspective on PID tuning.
May 12, 2017, 10:49 AM
my vortex 250 pro is timing out when trying to reflash. when connected to beta flight i see all stick inputs i am try to add an arm sw instead of the puill stick to corner methos. when i unplug i cant get vortex to arm. so i thought to reflash and start setup all over but it times out? any ideas thanks
May 12, 2017, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by apex808
my vortex 250 pro is timing out when trying to reflash. when connected to beta flight i see all stick inputs i am try to add an arm sw instead of the puill stick to corner methos. when i unplug i cant get vortex to arm. so i thought to reflash and start setup all over but it times out? any ideas thanks
When I would start up the Betaflight configurator and go immediately to the Firmware Flasher, it would timeout all the time no matter what baud rate I tried. However, on my last attempt I started the Betaflight configurator, connected and then disconnected, and after that tried the Firmware Flasher, which completed successfully without a timeout. I only tried this once, but it is something to try the next time I update the firmware.
May 12, 2017, 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by apex808
Mine did that literally about 70 times before I finally got it to work. Just keep trying eventually it will take.

I would say you might have better luck flashing with the new vortex configurator but it's all the same really. Just a tad bit more convenient since you can flash OSD and FC with the same app.
May 12, 2017, 03:21 PM
The timeout happens all the time that's not an issue it will be flashed it's just some stupid stm bug.
May 12, 2017, 05:28 PM
Quote:
The timeout happens all the time that's not an issue it will be flashed it's just some stupid stm bug.
Exactly. According to ImmersionRC on the fpvlab forum: flashing of both betaflight and osd firmware should be done with the vortex configurator chrome app, and that its normal for the betaflight firmware flash to timeout.
May 13, 2017, 08:41 AM
Well, I finally broke my Vortex frame. Busted the top plate (and of course nobody nearby has stock, and by "nearby" I mean Australia! ). Killed a new motor too, only on my 4th day out with those motors.

C'est la vie!
May 13, 2017, 08:55 AM
That sounds like an impressive crash! At least the parts went out with their boots on.....
May 13, 2017, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyair
That sounds like an impressive crash! At least the parts went out with their boots on.....

It hit some rocks head-on! The sad and infuriating thing is that, with one exception, every crash that had broken something on my Vortex was a result of FPV video problems and/or RC signal loss. As was this one. So, with only the one exception (which killed an FPV cam and lost a RunCam 2, so it wasn't cheap either), every time I break something on the Vortex it is while I'm not actually in the pilot's seat!

FWIW, those motors were very sweet for the four days that I flew them. 😂 I have spares, except for the top plate. And before you feel sorry for me, I have a pretty sweet quad coming my way in the next few days, so I'll be OK. It's just frustrating that I break stuff mostly when I'm not actually controlling my model. Don't get me wrong - I have spectacular crashes while I fly, I just don't break as much stuff as when the Vortex does its own thing. 🙂
May 14, 2017, 01:13 AM

Tramp module for Vortex - Finally

This is the first Tramp module for Vortex I have seen available for order. I pre-ordered two. However, the ETA is June 30.

https://www.helidirect.com/immersion...0-275-285.html
May 14, 2017, 07:44 AM
Long Island, NY
What is the advantage of the Tramp over the stock tx?
May 14, 2017, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawyerFrank
What is the advantage of the Tramp over the stock tx?
The main feature of the Tramp is that you can control the power output from 2mW to 600mW. You can also setup and control the Tramp using a touch-free wand without powering up the quad.

https://www.immersionrc.com/fpv-prod...o-transmitter/

This is probably of no value unless you fly with other pilots and want to minimize the video interference between pilots, like in a racing environment. Some pilots will not want to fly at the same time as a Vortex because of the Vortex's high video power output. See the attached chart.

For racing, pilots will sometimes fly using only low video power (25mW) and alternate channels using RHCP and LHPC antennas to minimize interference.
Last edited by FrankFuss; May 14, 2017 at 12:05 PM.
May 14, 2017, 12:11 PM
Long Island, NY
I see. My Vortex came with only a 25mW transmitter. It is the "Euro" version, or some such. Plus, I'm 63 years old. I'm not racing anybody! LOL!

I am getting better, though! I can fly at modest speed through playground equipment with pretty tight spaces. I want to get some pool noodles for the back yard. I have the perfect size (1/2"ID, I think) roll of flexible PVC tubing that could serve as the core of some custom gates for hardly any money.
May 14, 2017, 12:34 PM
I am also not a racer, but I sometimes end up flying with other pilots, so it is good to be able to play nice with the video power. I am 70 years old here, so you are not alone trying to keep up with these kids.
May 16, 2017, 11:19 AM
when I go to setup my quad (2nd hand purchase) the osd is stuck at center all controls and its set to spektrum1024.

After flashing to the new betaflight I can't do anything with the immersion tool, and before when it did work, it still didn't change anything....

-I updated everything to the latest firmwares for the osd and betaflight. I also have my spectrum sat bound. I have tried to even get things to move forward by binding both dsmx and dsm2 in both 11msec and 22msec....

it shows some movement on the screen but its still stuck at spektrum1024 as the protocol. I think with the spectrum spm4648 receiver and dx8 gen 2 I am stuck on this thing.
May 16, 2017, 01:52 PM
I don't know if you will get any better of a response than here, but you can try to post your issue on the official ImmersionRC Vortex Support forum.

http://fpvlab.com/forums/forumdispla...Vortex-Support
May 16, 2017, 04:16 PM
Connect to it with the ImmersionRC Vortex configurator chrome app, set it to Spektrum2048 with that tool and save......
May 20, 2017, 12:28 PM
How do people clean the FC can I spray electronic cleaner all over or is that bad for some of the materials? I normally use an air compressor and mostly encounter dusty dirt.

Also my threaded FC mount has been slightly stripped for awhile. Does anyone use smaller mounts with some type of rubber dampening?
May 21, 2017, 12:50 PM
Hi all,

Its been a while since I have been on these forums. Got caught up with school and now a full time job. I am wanting to get back into FPV, more specially quads, and starting to consider getting the vortex 250. I plan on getting the 250 along with the FrySky X9D/DR4II, (2) 3 cell 1300mah lipos, and (1) 4 cell 1300mah lipo. I currently have a pair of fatshark dominators that I had from before I took a leave of absence. What does everyone recommend? Is this a good "get back into it" setup? Looking forward to hearing some opinions.