ImmersionRC Vortex 250 Pro - Page 178 - RC Groups
Mar 18, 2017, 08:27 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by menksters
While back a member ask for some battery recommendations to exceed his 5 min flight time. This afternoon I used some T.P. 3S 2200ma 50C packs and found they provided me a battery safe flight time of 8.5 min. donnie
What style of flying? Just hovering around for that long ain't no fun.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 19, 2017, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazyot
What style of flying? Just hovering around for that long ain't no fun.
Very aggressive flying as I agree that just hovering around is a boring non descript event. Use my DJI Platforms for this. Enjoy, donnie
Mar 19, 2017, 04:19 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by menksters
Very aggressive flying as I agree that just hovering around is a boring non descript event. Use my DJI Platforms for this. Enjoy, donnie
I have some 3S 45C 2200mAh batteries. I'll have to try them. 8.5 min is pretty impressive. I imagine performance is somewhat down, though, compared to lighter 4S batteries.
Mar 19, 2017, 07:38 PM
Quote:
I have some 3S 45C 2200mAh batteries. I'll have to try them. 8.5 min is pretty impressive. I imagine performance is somewhat down, though, compared to lighter 4S batteries.
Yes 3S vs 4S Although I find it still has decent hit. Most of folks I race with are still in the amateur learning stage and all but two are using 3S packs. All have an interesting array of airframes and I am the only one fortunate to have the Magic Vortex 250. donnie
Mar 20, 2017, 11:22 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky_0325
You can't go past 3.0.1 really with the OSD from IRC
3.1.5 on OSD ending in .38 worked fine for me.
Mar 20, 2017, 07:15 PM
Back when spooky posted that 3.1.5 didnt exist.
Mar 20, 2017, 07:25 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by wopachop
Back when spooky posted that 3.1.5 didnt exist.
Whatever man. So I missed it by ONE day since that firmware is dated Feb 6. And, there you were bitching at me for updating my quad because I ran into issues. Turns out I just read through the section where you did the same thing just last month and ran into problems as well. Yo pot, it's kettle...
Mar 20, 2017, 08:04 PM
Think you're misunderstanding. Sorry to get a nerve there. Like I said earlier I was on here asking all types of stupid questions and luckily cool people set me straight. Was Tyrone and I think another guy. I thought beta 3.1.5 was super new. Like couple weeks old.
Mar 20, 2017, 08:40 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Think you're misunderstanding. Sorry to get a nerve there. Like I said earlier I was on here asking all types of stupid questions and luckily cool people set me straight. Was Tyrone and I think another guy. I thought beta 3.1.5 was super new. Like couple weeks old.
Dang it, you're right. Definite mixup on my part. My sincerest apologies. It was that Flyinwalenda dude who gave me crap about updating mine instead of just "learning to fly it" first. I already know how to fly planes, helis and quads and I wanted to start with the latest and greatest firmware with this specific quad. So, excuuuuuuse me for updating, Flyinwally. I got it sorted anyway in spite of you.
Mar 20, 2017, 09:16 PM
It's all good. I wanted horizon mode really bad for first flight but couldn't figure it out. A lot to learn coming from zero quad or betaflight experience.

Has anyone messed around with soft mount motors? It was brought up before. I have major major vibrations right around hover. Did a quick test with 2 soft mount motors and it helped!! Used the 3m tape, but slightly different than Joshua video. Will get a picture. Not sure if asking for trouble how I did it. Cut 4 small squares, left the red film, and didn't cover the screw holes. Also ditched the spacer.
Mar 20, 2017, 10:43 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
It's all good. I wanted horizon mode really bad for first flight but couldn't figure it out. A lot to learn coming from zero quad or betaflight experience.

Has anyone messed around with soft mount motors? It was brought up before. I have major major vibrations right around hover. Did a quick test with 2 soft mount motors and it helped!! Used the 3m tape, but slightly different than Joshua video. Will get a picture. Not sure if asking for trouble how I did it. Cut 4 small squares, left the red film, and didn't cover the screw holes. Also ditched the spacer.
I get where you're coming from, but I can't see that being a good idea. It might help in a hover, but those motors are going to move when they get stressed further and that tape will take a compression set. That could easily wreak havoc with the gyro PID gain settings. You really never want a wobbly motor, even in the slightest.
Mar 21, 2017, 04:39 AM
Quote:
I get where you're coming from, but I can't see that being a good idea. It might help in a hover, but those motors are going to move when they get stressed further and that tape will take a compression set. That could easily wreak havoc with the gyro PID gain settings. You really never want a wobbly motor, even in the slightest.
I agree to a point that is taking soft mounting a bit too literally the nice thing with the vortex is the bottom motor plates on one of my builds I have used a protection tape the kind of stuff used to stop cars getting stone chipped cut two discs one top and one bottom for each motor cut out the screw holes and bolted the motors down so the whole thing is isolated from the frame including hardware .
Mar 21, 2017, 08:31 AM
You would be surprised just how much soft mounting can actually help. It's not all hype

You wont be able to tell so much with brand new motors. But even slightly used motors will benefit from this!
Mar 21, 2017, 06:59 PM
Could someone answer a question for me ....I'm debating buying either a Vortex 150 using 850mah batteries or a Vortex 250 using 1300 mah batteries.

I wonder which quad would have longer flight times?

This would be my 1st expensive quad.

Any other opinions appreciated.

(practicing over a year on nano qx, qx fpv/pfg110 8.5 motors and Syma x5c, cheerson cx10)
Mar 22, 2017, 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraPVB
Could someone answer a question for me ....I'm debating buying either a Vortex 150 using 850mah batteries or a Vortex 250 using 1300 mah batteries.

I wonder which quad would have longer flight times?

This would be my 1st expensive quad.

Any other opinions appreciated.

(practicing over a year on nano qx, qx fpv/pfg110 8.5 motors and Syma x5c, cheerson cx10)
250 would have longer flight times as its capable of fitting and hauling bigger lipos.

But if were talking using strictly 850mah vs 1300mah flight times will be practicaly identical between the two quads.

BUT it REALLY all comes down to how aggressive your flying style is.
Mar 22, 2017, 11:56 AM
Plus Pilot
Quote:

I use these flexible mounts. Work great.:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252795904987
Mar 22, 2017, 02:30 PM

vortex pro crazy

Can anyone tell me if I flip my quad on the floor upside down it goes crazy and wont respond to min throttle? but eventually shuts down when I get to disarm bottom left stick position. when I did this twice really messed up my floor MAN! All Out of box settings believe its in horizon mode whatever default is anyway.
Mar 22, 2017, 07:42 PM
Plus Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by apex808
Can anyone tell me if I flip my quad on the floor upside down it goes crazy and wont respond to min throttle? but eventually shuts down when I get to disarm bottom left stick position. when I did this twice really messed up my floor MAN! All Out of box settings believe its in horizon mode whatever default is anyway.
My guess...

Option 1:
Double check (without propellers) that you control the bird (yaw, left, roll, pitch, arm / disarm)

Option2:
If Stable mode the FC will try to level the bird even if you lower the throttle (check travel in your TX)
Last edited by Jumanoc; Mar 23, 2017 at 10:25 AM.
Mar 22, 2017, 08:34 PM
Quote:
First i would put arm on a switch much faster to disarm and do you have air mode on that would certainly do what you describe.
Mar 23, 2017, 12:52 AM
If it is upside down AND in Horizon mode, then it's trying to right itself. Of course it's going nuts!
Mar 23, 2017, 04:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnoodle
If it is upside down AND in Horizon mode, then it's trying to right itself. Of course it's going nuts!
Default on on Betaflight is acro you have to allocate switches for anything else.
Mar 23, 2017, 05:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz-b
Default on on Betaflight is acro you have to allocate switches for anything else.
The poster has a quad on the floor of his house, upside-down for some reason, wondering why it's chewing up his floorboards. I assume nothing is exactly as stated, just presenting some ideas/options.
Mar 23, 2017, 06:11 AM
Suspended Account
I read on another forum where ImmersionRC said that the flight controller firmware 3.1.5 version was so good now that you only needed one tune instead of all the other protunes. Is that really true? The one tune in 3.1.5 flies as well as ALL the older protunes? I find that hard to believe with such variances as GoPro/no GoPro, different motors, props, etc. If it's really true, why is there even the need to touch PIDs? Seems like you'd simply adjust your control rates for feel and that's it.
Mar 23, 2017, 07:21 AM
Long Island, NY
I consider the one Protune an excellent starting point from which to tweak PID's to my personal style of flying and prop/motor/on-board camera. I doubt one set of PID's could cover all persons and configurations.
Mar 23, 2017, 07:30 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawyerFrank
I consider the one Protune an excellent starting point from which to tweak PID's to my personal style of flying and prop/motor/on-board camera. I doubt one set of PID's could cover all persons and configurations.
I was just going off ImmersionRC's rather fantastic and unbelievable claim.
Mar 23, 2017, 10:03 AM
The ground is the limit!
Check motor direction and board alignment.
2 things guaranteed to make your quad break dance.
Mar 23, 2017, 12:09 PM
Long Island, NY
Quote:
I was just going off ImmersionRC's rather fantastic and unbelievable claim.
Marketing claims are to be summarily ignored. That's one thing I've learned living in a capitalistic society for my entire 63 year life span.
Mar 23, 2017, 12:29 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawyerFrank
Marketing claims are to be summarily ignored. That's one thing I've learned living in a capitalistic society for my entire 63 year life span.
Believe me, I get it. That's why I said "fantastic" AND "unbelievable".
Mar 23, 2017, 02:58 PM
Thanks guys yes it fly's and hovers nice but I bounced it of a wall and that's how it ended upside down on the floor lol! never had a quad with self leveling before so wasn't sure ill have to take it off horizon mode and try it again lol was pretty deadly though! I still need to flash with beta flight 3.1.5 and set this thing up, it was out of the box set up when this happened. I just hope I can get it to communicate with clean flight that's the reason I flew it default anyway. But always learning thanks again guys
Mar 23, 2017, 05:22 PM
Plus Pilot
Quote:
Thanks guys yes it fly's and hovers nice but I bounced it of a wall and that's how it ended upside down on the floor lol! never had a quad with self leveling before so wasn't sure ill have to take it off horizon mode and try it again lol was pretty deadly though! I still need to flash with beta flight 3.1.5 and set this thing up, it was out of the box set up when this happened. I just hope I can get it to communicate with clean flight that's the reason I flew it default anyway. But always learning thanks again guys
In addition.... test it outside because the quad creates a self turbulence below.... When take of give good throttle up until reach say... 1 meter and test it there without turbulence near the floor.