Nov 05, 2015, 06:08 PM
Formerly Copperkiid
Discussion

ImmersionRC Vortex 250 Pro

The new ImmersionRC Vortex 250 Pro has officially been revealed and announced!! It looks greatly improved and definitely an evolution of the current Vortex 285. Know we just need an upgrade/trade in program for current owners :-)

http://www.immersionrc.com/fpv-products/vortex-250-pro/

$479 arf
$499 arf with zipper case

What do you guys think?

Last edited by ScudRnr; Dec 08, 2015 at 08:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 05, 2015, 06:13 PM
Formerly Copperkiid
Has anyone noticed the password protected page IRC has on the Vortex 250 Pro?!

http://www.immersionrc.com/fpv-products/vortex-250-pro/

I wonder what they have up their sleeve!!

Also, I was looking at the Vortex and wondering why someone hasn't designed and made regular arms for it supported with 3D printed parts that would fit the current frame.
Nov 05, 2015, 10:53 PM
Formerly Copperkiid
Image capture of a Vortex 250 Pro video from the ImmersionRC crew flying in Hawaii.

I wonder if it will be possible to eventually purchase the Pro replacement kits, to put together a frame, then transfer over my regular vortex parts.
Nov 11, 2015, 11:14 PM
I came here after seeing the locked product page on the website. Have there been any updates?
Nov 12, 2015, 10:50 AM
Stupid gravity!
GPS would be nice.
Nov 12, 2015, 12:04 PM
What makes it more expensive than the original? the frame looks a lot simpler.
Nov 12, 2015, 01:50 PM
Formerly Copperkiid
There's a bunch of updates:

- Bigger more powerful 2204 motors.
- 20a esc with oneshot and EzESC.
- F3 flight controller with blackbox.
- Beefed up rear LED's.
- 700 tvl version 2 camera.
- Includes camera mount.
- Frame is super beefed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derelicte
What makes it more expensive than the original? the frame looks a lot simpler.
Nov 12, 2015, 01:51 PM
Formerly Copperkiid
The more I look at the 250 Pro, I think those arms and plastic pieces may fit the regular Vortex. The screw layout to attach the arms looks the same. We need to find this out, anyone know??

It would be awesome and smart for ImmersionRC to release a frame conversion kit for the current Vortex. Something that included the arms and plastic pits.
Nov 12, 2015, 02:49 PM
I just bought a Vortex! (Albeit used)
Nov 12, 2015, 03:04 PM
I guess the higher price is for the thicker carbon fiber.
The motors are way cheaper as they are multistar and not t-motors http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Adapter_.html
The difference between F1 and F3 chip is $1, and if the blackbox is via SD card that's +$10
The 20A ESCs shouldn't add more cost either, because the 12A were really tiny and quite complicated so they were really expensive.
Still I think they raised the price just because there was high demand for the first one and they expect the same

Edit: the 'blackbox' is just 2mb so pretty much useless as it can only fit 1min of flight. Interesting choice to put that as a feature.
Nov 12, 2015, 03:48 PM
Formerly Copperkiid
Wow the motors really are HK Multistars. That's not good.

Is there really much of a difference inbetween the F1 and F3 controller?

The frame is however really appealing for crash resistance.

ImmersionRC needs to release an upgrade solid arm kit for the current Vortex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed.m
I guess the higher price is for the thicker carbon fiber.
The motors are way cheaper as they are multistar and not t-motors http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Adapter_.html
The difference between F1 and F3 chip is $1, and if the blackbox is via SD card that's +$10
The 20A ESCs shouldn't add more cost either, because the 12A were really tiny and quite complicated so they were really expensive.
Still I think they raised the price just because there was high demand for the first one and they expect the same

Edit: the 'blackbox' is just 2mb so pretty much useless as it can only fit 1min of flight. Interesting choice to put that as a feature.
Nov 12, 2015, 03:54 PM
Formerly Copperkiid

Horizon Hobby Vortex Pro Edition

Horizon Hobby has announced on their Facebook page that they will be releasing their own version of the Vortex Pro. It's appears to be specked the same, but includes a dsmx satellite and different colors. No price yet.
Nov 12, 2015, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperkiid
The frame is however really appealing for crash resistance.

ImmersionRC needs to release an upgrade solid arm kit for the current Vortex.
You can already purchase aluminum replacement hardware that keeps the tubular arms locked in place. I haven't come across anybody who has gone this route, but the IRC folks had suggested that in taking away the fold-back arms, you risk doing more damage to the quad in a crash (since the original plastic hardware is basically what absorbs all the force). With the fixed arms on the original Vortex, the weak point might be the baseplates themselves. Maybe with thicker CF plates the original Vortex could be made to be just as tough as the new one.
Nov 12, 2015, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Is there really much of a difference inbetween the F1 and F3 controller?
I think a lot of people will upgrade to F4 in the next few months because there are already some F4 Betaflight ports with good results and the boards are the same price or even cheaper than F3. F3 is a very small upgrade, it just adds more serial ports, it was just overhyped with that SPRF3 board, at the moment F1=F3 on performance.
I hope once the F4 firmware is more stable Immersionrc will acknowledge this and release an F4 Fusion board sooner rather than later.
Nov 12, 2015, 04:38 PM
renewbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by docphi
GPS would be nice.
If you really want that (enough to do some soldering) then you can have that now on your Vortex. I do.
Nov 12, 2015, 06:19 PM
Quote:
i think a lot of people will upgrade to f4 in the next few months because there are already some f4 betaflight ports with good results and the boards are the same price or even cheaper than f3. F3 is a very small upgrade, it just adds more serial ports, it was just overhyped with that sprf3 board, at the moment f1=f3 on performance.
I hope once the f4 firmware is more stable immersionrc will acknowledge this and release an f4 fusion board sooner rather than later.
+1 !!!.....
Nov 12, 2015, 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetwofifty
You can already purchase aluminum replacement hardware that keeps the tubular arms locked in place. I haven't come across anybody who has gone this route, but the IRC folks had suggested that in taking away the fold-back arms, you risk doing more damage to the quad in a crash (since the original plastic hardware is basically what absorbs all the force). With the fixed arms on the original Vortex, the weak point might be the baseplates themselves. Maybe with thicker CF plates the original Vortex could be made to be just as tough as the new one.
I've upgraded my Vortex with the aluminum parts. So far so good. I haven't crashed mine yet so I don't know what kind of damage to expect. The motor booms are locked in very solid, no movement at all.
Nov 12, 2015, 08:48 PM
Formerly Copperkiid
Could you post pictures of your Vortex? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffythesaint
I've upgraded my Vortex with the aluminum parts. So far so good. I haven't crashed mine yet so I don't know what kind of damage to expect. The motor booms are locked in very solid, no movement at all.
Nov 12, 2015, 08:54 PM
Inspired "One"
Umma's latest video:

ImmersionRC Vortex 250 Pro (Protoype) - Trial by Sea (5 min 31 sec)
Nov 12, 2015, 09:01 PM
Quote:
Could you post pictures of your Vortex? Thanks.
Here are two pics. Added Cobra 2206's. tried 6x4.5HQ's. Lots of power but high current draw, low flight times. Tried some 5" props and the best so far, with current draw and power, are the HQ 5x4.5 BN's.
Nov 12, 2015, 09:03 PM
I wonder if immersion would ever make the fusion board available as a standalone item that is compatitible for other systems - love the software and the direction the harware is travelling.

MWS
Nov 12, 2015, 10:37 PM
So, props are no longer tilted forward 10 degrees? If not, why the change? Thanks.
Nov 13, 2015, 04:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC
So, props are no longer tilted forward 10 degrees? If not, why the change? Thanks.
Props/motors were never tilted on vortex v1, though having the tubular arms you could tilt the motor mounts, but since the back arms are at a different angle than the front you would have weird flight characteristics. I am sure you can add angled wedges under the motors if needed.
Nov 13, 2015, 06:11 AM
If only i had the money
Nov 13, 2015, 06:33 AM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Nice...I am in....

http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-drone...r&utm_content=

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...oducts_id=4765
Last edited by kydawg1; Nov 13, 2015 at 06:39 AM.
Nov 13, 2015, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Props/motors were never tilted on vortex v1, though having the tubular arms you could tilt the motor mounts, but since the back arms are at a different angle than the front you would have weird flight characteristics. I am sure you can add angled wedges under the motors if needed.
Good to know. Thanks for that mate!
Nov 13, 2015, 01:30 PM
Stupid gravity!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudcamper
If you really want that (enough to do some soldering) then you can have that now on your Vortex. I do.
I saw that thread. Very nice work. I'm working on it now...
Nov 14, 2015, 10:54 AM
leliommarino
ahhh.... now i have to bu a new one.,..
Nov 14, 2015, 11:31 AM
Looking good, any specific date ? Or just a matter of shipping to the stores...
Nov 14, 2015, 01:36 PM
sno
sno
Spendy bugger.
Last edited by sno; Nov 14, 2015 at 02:23 PM.