Dec 15, 2015, 02:20 PM
Thread OP

Adding the Finishing Touches

At this point the City of Buffalo is about 98% complete. There are still a couple of last minute details that need to be added, then we'll hook up the radio and ballast her up. Will post up the last of it once completed, then we'll wait for a good day for a maiden run and get her in the water.

Generally speaking, the City of Buffalo has been a terrific build from a beautifully designed and engineered kit. The model is not difficult to build, though it is definitely a "builders kit". Parts fit and instruction sequences worked well in keeping things organized, though I did deviate a bit from the instruction sequences a time or two to facilitate painting. But overall the build went without a hitch, and am looking forward to getting the model finished up and into the water.

PAT
to remove ads between posts
Dec 15, 2015, 02:42 PM
Mmm, tugs...
I'm interested to see how the stability is on yours, Pat.
I added a lot of depth and weight to my hull based just on fear of tipsiness... but I have no idea if it was really needed!

PM
Dec 15, 2015, 05:32 PM
Thread OP
Pat, The model does give the impression of being top heavy for sure. However, during the design process the hull was both widened and deepened to compensate for that. I haven't seen the p-type run, but I've been told that when ballasted as shown in the instructions it does real well. However, I do plan to keep the turns slow and wide till I get a feel for how it's going to handle -- just in case.

PAT
Dec 15, 2015, 07:09 PM
Very fine looking model. Thanks for showing the jigs and tricks for assembly. I like the colors.
Latest blog entry: Myrtle Corey
Dec 16, 2015, 02:12 AM
Taking care of the pond.
Looks great.
Dec 16, 2015, 08:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILLERTIME
Looks great.
Agreed !!!

Dec 16, 2015, 10:22 AM
Thread OP

Al Done and Ready to Run

Got back in the shop last evening and got the radio hooked up and ready to go. Used the DX-7 Tx with an old (and proven completely unreliable in airplanes) 6100 Rx for control. Even the unreliable ones work good in boats, I guess because they never get far enough away to go out of range. However, on the rare occasion when they do they do act up, all you have to do is wait a second or two and they'll come right back.

Then it was on to ballast. There's a map of where, and how much ballast is required in the instruction book, so I got into the lead stash and set it up accordingly. The model requires approximately 55 ounces of lead placed throughout the hull. Will bring extra along to the pond when the weather breaks and do the final set-up there. Then once the final ballast and balance is established I'll secure all the bits and pieces in the hull.

So for now, she's done, and when the weather warms up we'll be off to the pond for the maiden voyage. Stay tuned, will drop a photo or two as soon as it's done.

PAT
Dec 16, 2015, 11:29 AM
boat butcher
Very nice .

Mark
Jan 16, 2016, 03:53 PM
Mmm, tugs...
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle
Pat, The model does give the impression of being top heavy for sure. However, during the design process the hull was both widened and deepened to compensate for that.

PAT
Yup:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...9#post32329053

Not chance to run it yet?
Jan 17, 2016, 09:46 AM
Thread OP
Pat, Your timing couldn't be better. We finally got back to the pond yesterday and got a short test hop on the C of B in spite of the cold north winds. In about a 15 minute window of opportunity the boat went into the water and proved to run very well.

The final ballast set-up was done exactly as called out in the instructions, and proved to be just right for running. In spite of its "top heavy" appearance, the model is extremely stable, turns beautifully, and even handled the breezes far better then I had anticipated.

Using a 2S Lipo with the white plastic prop, power is good and will cruise nicely at less then 1/3 throttle. The rudder was effective in dodging the icebergs, and she turns great without being twitchy. Overall, the model runs far better then I would have expected, and she's going to see a lot of time on the water when things finally do start warming up.

Hopefully the next time out I'll get a few photos and post them up. Truth is, the trip out was kind of a spur of the moment deal, and in the flurry of activity I just flat forgot to grab the camera.

PAT
Jan 17, 2016, 11:45 AM
Looking forward to some pictures. Are you going to add any passengers? She looks very stately. I like it.
Latest blog entry: Myrtle Corey
Jan 24, 2016, 04:12 PM
Thread OP

The City of Buffalo in Action

Got back to the pond yesterday for the second run. The weather was just about perfect so was able to get a couple of good water shots. We also got a bit of video as well.

PAT
Jan 24, 2016, 04:15 PM
Thread OP

Video

Video
Jan 24, 2016, 04:16 PM
Thread OP

Video

Video -- Ooops, doesn't look like I can load the video after all.

PAT
Feb 05, 2016, 02:03 AM
It's a fine fiddly business.
Pat,

Another fine looking build. I learn a lot by carefully reading your threads. Shaping planks to fit together is very therapeutic.

Your Songbird is purchased and in my building queue.

Robert

Quick Reply