Nov 05, 2015, 11:26 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Anyone dealt with damage or injury to others from flying RC fliers?

Not sure if it's already covered but I was wondering what happens if a quad/plane you are flying crashes into a home and breaks window, damages cars etc... or worse, hits someone and knocks teeth out or chops their ear off or pokes their eyes out.

Does the owner (if found) has to pay all out of pocket or home insurance can help in part or something else needs to be in place for that?
Anyone dealt with that kind of incidents even if it's smaller scale?
I just wanted to know the consequences.
Yes, first thing is to be extra careful but sometimes I see they just have their own mind.
Thanks for comments.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 08, 2015, 08:49 AM
First, if you are flying a plane, etc. in a place that puts a home, window, car or other person in harms way, then you shouldn't be flying it there in the first place. The AMA guidelines are very clear about safety and flying environments.

Second, "they just have their own mind" is a cop out. The only mind our aircraft have is the one between the owner's ears. Dumb moves by aircraft are almost always the result of bad decisions by the pilot.

Third, yes, we had a major incident at our field where someone reversed a throttle "servo" on his electric plane without unplugging the battery. It immediately went to full throttle, made a bee-line for someone at a flight station, and then tore most of his lower leg to shreds. Over 100 stitches and months of wound care later, he is scarred for life and has limited movement of his ankle. The pilot at fault is AMA insured, but I am not sure if that insurance is covering any of the victim's expenses.
Nov 09, 2015, 12:22 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for chiming in.
I only fly in parks when there's no one or minimum people.

Well the only way to avoid is not to fly but that's not the question.
Even after being careful, there are many posts here where propeller breaks in the middle of flight, firmware gets corrupted, goes out of range etc... and crashes happen.

Question is not how crash happens, question is about liability.
Nov 15, 2015, 06:12 PM
deleted
Nov 16, 2015, 12:15 PM
Traranisaurus TX
Homeowners insurance may or may not cover damages incurred from a model aircraft, especially if an incident occurs off of your property. You would need to consult with your insurance carrier, or read your contract, to determine if you have coverage. Even if you are covered, the insurance company can always deny the claim, if they feel they can get away with it.

AMA insurance is an excellent idea. However, it's supplemental insurance, and will therefore only pay for damages if your homeowners insurance does not pay for the damages. I am pretty sure that AMA insurance would cover damages that did not take place on your property.

Fly safely, but remember what that bumper sticker says. You need to be prepared when "stuff happens." :-)
Nov 17, 2015, 10:28 AM
1. Make sure you have enough personal liability insurance, $2M is not very expensive.

2. Make sure your insurance provider WILL NOT use the vehicle exclusion to exclude coverage for model vehicles.

3. Do not rely on AMA insurance.

4. Even if you did everything right insurance companies, including AMA, will settle for the least cost to them regardless of who is at fault.
Nov 17, 2015, 12:21 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh P View Post
1. Make sure you have enough personal liability insurance, $2M is not very expensive.

2. Make sure your insurance provider WILL NOT use the vehicle exclusion to exclude coverage for model vehicles.

3. Do not rely on AMA insurance.

4. Even if you did everything right insurance companies, including AMA, will settle for the least cost to them regardless of who is at fault.
Is the personal liability insurance part of other insurance like home/auto or it's separate?
thanks
Nov 26, 2015, 07:58 PM
-insert witty saying here-
My homeowner's policy has personal liability -and- an umbrella. AMA coverage is secondary to any insurance you already have and then it kicks in.

FWIW, insurance related questions are best handled by YOUR agent or provider. Every state, provider and policy is different.
Nov 27, 2015, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny_1 View Post
Is the personal liability insurance part of other insurance like home/auto or it's separate?
thanks
For us it is part of a standard homeowners policy. We just have our agent up the personnel liability to $2M from $1M. Added cost is / was $15 - 20 for double the liability.

Vehicles are on a separate policy.

Our insurance agents are local RC flyers.
Oct 31, 2016, 02:19 AM
Mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny_1 View Post

Question is not how crash happens, question is about liability.
You are liable for your own actions. Insurance companies in each case have their own coverage parameters, so you need to check with your insurance company to make sure your covered for any such accidents, no matter where or how you fly.

Quick Reply