dle20ra compared with osgt22 - RC Groups
Nov 05, 2015, 11:22 AM
Discussion

dle20ra compared with osgt22

Thinking about these two options.

Weight difference is 870g(dle) and 1005g(os)
Power is 2.5hp(dle) and 2.6hp(os).
Prics is 300ish for the dle and 400ish for the os.

I would like to turn a 16x8 apc around 8000-8500 rpm.

The engine will be in an old 90 size aeroworks edge and will be replacing a ys120fz.

Opinions?

Thanks
Tony
to remove ads between posts
Nov 05, 2015, 04:13 PM
Not a big fan of the OS engines, finding it very difficult to justify that premium price. In addition to the RA engine, you could include the side exhaust DLE, the RCGF, and the Valley View 20's as well. They'll all come in closer to $200, and all will spin that 16x8 at something close to 8500.....

All are well proven with excellent reputations. -Al
Nov 05, 2015, 07:31 PM
I agree with ahicks. I have all three of these engines. Out of all of them, I think the dle20ra is the strongest. The vvrc 20 would be next in line with rcgf third. My rcgf is an early rear carb 20cc that had a lot of problems. Several of us had the same problem with turned out to be a miss adjusted fuel pressure regulator. That got mine running long enough to find a bad ignition module. Once that was fixed it ran fine. Mechanically, the rcgf seems like a fine engine.
Edwin
Nov 06, 2015, 06:47 AM
Does the dle you speak of have the stock ring or a bowman?
Nov 06, 2015, 08:12 AM
Completely stock engine. I have three of them I bought from valley view rc. The first one was perfect out of the box, just needed a few minor tweeks on the carb as it broke in. The second is early in the breakin process and is following the same routine. Valley view rc is no longer a dle dealer. Tower is the only dealer now for dle now. I did my break in with petroleum based oil at 32:1, after a gallon I switched to Stihl ultra synthetic. All my gassers spit out black goo in the beginning so I break in my engines on a stick beater plane. Then run synthetic till it's got a clean exhaust.. The first one ran on a fabric covered 1/4 scale cub. Absolutely clean. Flat and level flight gets me right around 10k rpm on a MA 16x8 composite prop based on telemetry in the beater.
Edwin
Nov 06, 2015, 08:14 AM
I forgot to mention that a buddy has the evo 20cc. In his opinion the dle is stronger.
Edwin
Nov 10, 2017, 07:01 AM
Any updates?

Tony
Nov 10, 2017, 09:13 AM
No, not really. DLE is still the lightest, and likely has the best support, while being price competitive. If considering the RA, it would add smallest footprint if considering engines with Pitt's type exhaust locations.

Still not a fan of the O.S. There's nothing there to support the extra money.
Nov 10, 2017, 11:43 AM
AMA 46133
I am not a loyal fan of anything. I just like them to work. I am sure both the DLE 20cc RA and the OS GT22 will work fine if purchased brand new and used properly.

However I have found something pretty interesting last night while surfing. I know from playing gasoline engines over the years that the carburetor will require servicing eventually. Yes I can buy a repair kit with all those gaskets and needles and such to do my own repair but I was never total confident in doing that. So I resort to buying a new carburetor if the old one gave me trouble.

Now looking at the carburetors for these two engines.

The one for the DLE:
https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDYTJ&P=Z

Well, that's reasonable. I don't mind spending $35 to get a new carb to save on rebuilding the old one.

Then I looked at this:
https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCUMD&P=Z

$170 for a Walbro carburetor!!! I wonder what makes it so special.

Then I looked at the one for my OS 33cc and the carburetor is $175. I better baby the carburetor and make sure nothing happens to it.

I wonder if some one knows if there is a direct substitute for these exorbitant priced carburetors? They are just another Walbro.

The GT22 is a WT 1054 and the GT33 is a WT 519.
Nov 10, 2017, 05:13 PM
OS and Satio have lost there edge they were the best at in the past. Since OS were sold to Futaba they have moved manufacturing from Japan, not sure where they are built now but somewhere cheaper then Japan.
I have 3 DLE engines no problems encluding the 20RA. Look at the cost of the ignition modules and then carbs just a rip off from OS.
Nov 10, 2017, 11:35 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave steffan
OS and Satio have lost there edge they were the best at in the past. Since OS were sold to Futaba they have moved manufacturing from Japan, not sure where they are built now but somewhere cheaper then Japan.
I have 3 DLE engines no problems encluding the 20RA. Look at the cost of the ignition modules and then carbs just a rip off from OS.
I can only speak from my experience with the 33cc gas OS. The engine still looks like it has good quality. It runs very well. It is worth the extra money if it keeps on running well. The only parts that bothers me is the cost of the replacement parts. They don't need to be that expensive.

Right now I am playing with other brands as well and they have not disappoint me yet.
Nov 11, 2017, 08:33 AM
Sorry to spoil the fun...
I have only one DLE engine, a DLE30 purchased before Tower Hobbies got the agency and prices rocketed, probably for no other reason than someone's back pocket.
I now have many other Chinese engines, EME, RCGF, SPE/MLD, etc...
I have around 10 OS gas engines from the GT55 to the GGT10 and many other converted OS engines (160FX, FS200, etc...) and many, many more OS nitro engines.
For $100 difference between an OS and same capacity DLE I would buy an OS anytime! the ignitions, carburettors and mufflers are merely ancillary systems and can be easily changed, in fact I never keep anything standard. The core of an engine are the moving parts, and there are still noticeable differences between the two.
And BTW, if I had to buy another gas engine (and I know my engines inside out) and OS was too pricey I would buy an EME even at the same price as a DLE!
OS and DLE are not the only choices, any quality engine (DA,3W, MVVS) would cost more than a DLE...
Nov 11, 2017, 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave
The one for the DLE:
https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDYTJ&P=Z

Well, that's reasonable. I don't mind spending $35 to get a new carb to save on rebuilding the old one.

Then I looked at this:
https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCUMD&P=Z

$170 for a Walbro carburetor!!! I wonder what makes it so special.
There is absolutely nothing wrong in using the DLE carb for your OS engine... .
You can even get a carb that will work as well as the above two carbs for 50% of the DLE's price...
Nov 11, 2017, 11:58 AM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClippedWings
There is absolutely nothing wrong in using the DLE carb for your OS engine... .
You can even get a carb that will work as well as the above two carbs for 50% of the DLE's price...
That's what I really want to know. I figured a Walbro carb is a Walbro carb. AS long as I can find the appropriate substitute I can use a much less expensive carb on the OS engine.

Do you have first hand experience with the OS GT33? Which DLE carb would work on it? I am tempted to just get a replacement carb for the DLE 35 and do some bench test myself. Just in case when my OS carb craps out in the future.

The DLE carb is $35 and the WT519 for my OS 33cc is $175. So that's more like 20 percent. I am going to get one.
Nov 11, 2017, 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave
Do you have first hand experience with the OS GT33? Which DLE carb would work on it? .
I have an NIB OS GT33, I will have a look at the carb and let you know.
Essentially any Walbro and/or compatible carb of the same Venturi should work, differences between carbs are mainly the position of the fuel inlet and throttle arm. Some carbs have an accelerator pump, but carbs without it should still be good.