Nov 05, 2015, 06:50 AM
https://youtu.be/PYsWs2uWu4s
Thread OP
Build Log

Speedy Bee 125%

Hi to all SpeedyB fans !

Having built my first E- SpeedyB this year ,and equipped wit floats, I foud it beeing a great holiday flyer.

My last flights on water Ive made a week ago.

See the picture

But I would be more fun if the plane is a bit bigger. Plans are enlarged already by 25% ( its true it will not bee that large , but a first step)

In order to keep its lively attitude I intend to make a new wing , not like it was drawn by A.Clancy. And will use my experience I got meanwhile and make some chances in the construction .

I will report from time to time how building goes .

Meanwhile enjoy a short clip from flying the SpeedyBee on floats.

Speedy Bee goes waterflying - Traunsee (2 min 15 sec)

regards Anton
to remove ads between posts
Nov 05, 2015, 12:34 PM
FWIW, when I built my Speedy Bee from plans, I added one rib/one wing bay to each wing half. It was in the early days of electric power and my thought was more wing area/less wing loading could only be good. Other than that, built more or less like the plans (I don't do rubber bands). Flies great. The added wing area was/is nice to have (I still have it in a flyable condition after 35 years--but no longer a brushed motor/NiCad model)...
Nov 06, 2015, 03:47 AM
https://youtu.be/PYsWs2uWu4s
Thread OP
When I talk about enlarging by 1/4 , later more, than I mean the whole plane.
There are many XL bees described and built. All of them fly perfectly fine . There is only one problem, to my mind at least : all of those bees fly tooooooooo stable.

You see this also with the Speedy Bee. Ailerons are to big , and the profil gets too thick . So keeping a certain ability for doing aerobatics ( maybe a little 3D) there is no way around of constructing a new wing keeping the original outline.

Just enlarging the wing is for me not the solution and it should be something new. Keeping the simple construction of the fuselage + floats...

Quick Reply