Nov 04, 2015, 06:19 PM
Clancy
Thread OP
Build Log

Peter Rake's BE2e

Soon I will be starting prototype build of Peter's 49" Be2e. I am lucky that Pat Lynch did an excellent build of Pete's BE12a that I can pillage as much as possible. The BE12a was a single seat fighter version of the BE2e and are almost the same plane. The BE2e was a two seat recon, light bomber,trainer, and general purpose plane for the RAF.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 04, 2015, 06:58 PM
That plane ooozes character. One of my all time 82 favorites.
Nov 04, 2015, 07:55 PM
Senile Member
Lucky guy, I would love to build that one myself. An iconic WWI aeroplane with lots of character. If you want to see a bunch of Be2 flying check out the outstanding BBC television series from the 1970s called Wings. The flight scenes are a mixture of real aircraft and Bodington RC aircraft. It was a great feat to make scale RC planes look and fly realistically in those days.

Wings - The Volunteer s1e1 - Tim Woodward (50 min 51 sec)

Larry
Nov 04, 2015, 08:49 PM
Clancy
Thread OP
One of the top 82 you can't beat that.
Larry, they are making some beautiful replicas of WW1 airplanes in New Zealand I would love to see them make a movie with.
Nov 04, 2015, 08:50 PM
I know it's not WWI but this is my favorite..
Piece of Cake - September 1939 e1 - Tim Woodward, Tom Burlinson, Neil Dudgeon, George Anton (52 min 44 sec)
Nov 05, 2015, 04:02 PM
Viceless no longer :)
[http://www.wiltshiretouristguide.com...TIMES_1244.asp

above should have a pic of the be2b full size replica at Old Sarum. The museum website has a few pictures of it at various stages of construction.
Nov 06, 2015, 07:23 AM
Brighto?
Thanks for that link fairweather, it will be handy for my upcoming UK visit.
Nov 06, 2015, 07:39 AM
I love my Be12a. Pat's build log was very helpful, and the airplane went together very nicely and flies great. Good luck with the Be2e. I will be watching with interest!
Nov 08, 2015, 10:51 AM
Clancy
Thread OP
Lovely BE12 dion. Nice job on all that rigging something to look forward to.
Vickie there are a few BE2 replicas out there and a few of them are in this documentary
First Air War (NOVA Documentary) (1 hr 27 min 57 sec)
Last edited by Clancy; Jan 16, 2017 at 03:34 PM.
Nov 27, 2015, 10:59 PM
Clancy
Thread OP
The kit from charlie has been here awhile. I have been busy and slow to start. Now that I have been revitalized with turkey I will start.
I will start with the tail feathers. The elevator is quite simple just built up from 3/16 balsa
Nov 28, 2015, 01:29 PM
Clancy
Thread OP
The elevator is coming along. Pat sanded his elevator into an airfoil shape so I will try to do the same. Added bonus it reduced the weight from 11 gm to 9 gm. The rudder is interesting. I have built Peter's BE2c. It was one of my favorite flyers and why I wanted to build his BE2e. There is a difference in rudder shape.
Nov 28, 2015, 01:42 PM
Clancy
Thread OP
Want to see something embarrassing, i feel like a hoarder. All to get PR plans
Last edited by Clancy; Nov 29, 2015 at 01:23 PM.
Nov 28, 2015, 02:05 PM
Clancy,
I'm pretty sure Pat didn't change the tailplane to a lifting section. That changes the dynamics of the whole model.
Checking his thread, all he seems to have done is put a slight symetrical shape on them by bevelling about 1" all round on both upper and lower surfaces. More streamlining than aerofoil section and not lifting.

Pete
Nov 28, 2015, 02:16 PM
Clancy
Thread OP
OK the picture with that shows the extent of the sanding is that to much.
Nov 28, 2015, 02:17 PM
Clancy
Thread OP
I guess it should be more elliptical

Quick Reply