Nov 04, 2015, 04:00 PM
Thread OP
Mini-Review

XK X250 "Alien" (Under construction)

WARNING 12/13/15

XK X250 can't bind other V2x2 models but you can fly the X250 with some other V2x2 radios

INTRODUCTION

After the two first excellent models, the XK X380 probably the most beginner friendly AP plateform, the XK X350 a real 3D beast, here with the X250, XK offers a new "Lattrax Alias" clone, i.e. an acrobatic brushed miniquadcopter.

BOX CONTENT

+ 1 x XK X250 (with a 1S 780 mAh LiPo with JST connector)
+ 1 x Transmitter (using 4xAA batteries not included)
+ 1 x Power charger
+ 4 x Spare props (2 CW, 2 CCW)
+ 1 x Screwdriver
+ 1 x Instruction manual (English/Chinese)

OVERVIEW

The XK X250 advertises on three main features: i) Futaba protocol, known to be one of the best 2.4G radio protocol; ii) Altitude hold when the throttle stick is locked to 50% and iii) auto-landing feature when the radio link is lost. We will see how good/efficient are these novelties

-Front view

Externally, the X250 offers the upper part of the famous cameron main caracter. On each arm, transparent plastic can be found to amplify the LED illumination

-Side view

-Rear view

-Upper view

-Bottom view

Yellow LEDs on front, red for rear... In practice, lights are not so visible in daylight and the yellow and red colors are to distingish

4 different ports are located beneath. The left one (4pins) can be used to plug the V686G FPV module (12g). So for 30 extra USD, you can transform the X250 into a cheap FPV plateform

-Weight

Only 112g with the 780mah lipo, the ratio weight/thurst is great.

Motors

Some 8.5mmx20mm coreless brushed motor are installed. Notice some 3mmx6mmx2mm ball-bearings are installed and help to reduce friction and increase the flight duration.

LiPo

A flat 1S 780 mAh LiPo annouced to have 20C as discharge rate

Disassembling

As you can see, the board is designed by LG, the same compagny who designed most of the WLtoys V2x2/V6x6 models.

The MCU is the HL004, a 100% clone of the mini54zan. The 6-axis stabilization is done by the 6050c ... and the RF chip is a Beken model ... Not a CC2500 RF chip as we could expect for the Futaba protocol. I means the X250 can't/don't use the Futaba protocol. In practice, it's using the classic "V2x2" one already used in a lot of WLtoys/JXD/JJRC models. Notice, the presence of a SWD port ... and probably the a serial link can be used too... It means, this board is also potentially Bradwii compatible

More, we can't see any specific "barometer" chip ... so if the altitude hold is implemented, it can be only by integrating the z-information of the INS...

Transmitter

The transmitter uses a different type of chassis versus former WLtoys models, a more compact one with only two shoulder buttons

The left shoulder buttons is related with the "one key return"/"headless" features. A brief action engages the pseudo-RTH while the longer one turn on/off the headless mode. While no compass is present in the FC, these two features are more and more innacurate versus time. A click on the left stick cycles between the two modes. No specific beep sequence can be heared to distinguish the two modes. In practice we can't really feel any difference between the beginner/expert mode. IMHO, it's buggy .... A click on the right stick will engage a flip as soon as you indicate the direction. As for all V2x2 protocol, to calibration gyros, you need to be in "expert" mode on push both stick in lower-left position.

The 2.4G is well foiled and will offer at least a good 100m of control range. You can expect, around 200m after some optimisation. A good point if you plan to use this model for a cheap FPV plateform for example with the V686G FPV camera combo

FIRST USAGE

XK X250 first demo flight feat "MiNou" (Courtesy Banggood) (13 min 35 sec)

As you can see, the X250 is a super stable flyer and can handle moderate winds very easily. To be honest, I didn't feel any difference between the two modes and I believe there are not in practice... IMHO, XK had to change their plan and reintroduce the V2x2 protocol instead of the Futaba one (licence cost ?). This downgrade limits the radio link to 200m maximum (which is already not bad). Not only the Futaba protocol dissapeared but also the altitude hold. There is absoluptly no altitude hold stabilization (we could guess that with the absence of the barometer). Finally, the auto-landing is also missing. Here after 2s of potential fly-away, the X250 falls like a stone. With the rate "bug", the X250 is not so acrobatic in practice... not so fast but stay very nice to fly with.

XK X250 flight demo controlled with DeviationTX (Courtesy Banggood) (7 min 47 sec)

As soon you take a real V2x2 radio, rates can be selected and the X250 is much more sporty/insteresting. As you can, funels are just super great .... and the X250 is now super fun to fly.

CONCLUSIONS

Out of the box, the X250 is not the alias killer we could expect ... more all new features advertised are not here. No Futaba, no alititude hold, no auto-landing.... For me, even if I don't have any clue, I feel XK had to change their plan in their own plans between their beta pre-production version and the final release...They had in catastroph to reintroduce some old technologies we could find already in the V636. It's a really pity. More, the TX is partially bugged since D/R is not really working. Anyway, if you own already a V2x2 compatible radio, the X250 is more interesting. The X250's flying caracteristics become much more sporty, a very pleasant model and wind resistant. In practice, the X250 is nothing else than a WLtoys V636 V2. Now the real question: Is the X250 more interesting than the NiHui U807. I am not very sure ...

UNBOXING

XK X250 Unboxing and quick analysis (Courtesy Banggood) (8 min 28 sec)

PROS

+ Stable quadcopter
+ 8-9min of flying duration
+ Ball-bearings
+ V2x2 protocol
+ DeviationTX compatible
+ V686G FPV module compatible
+ Improved rates with V2x2 compatible TX
+ Potentially Bradwii compatible

CONS

- Speed modes not
- Not really accrobatic out of the box
- No Futaba protocol
- No altitude hold
- No auto-landing
- LEDs not so bright

This quadcopter have been courtesy provided by Banggood in order to make a fair and not biased review. I would like to thanks them for this attitude.
You can find it actually for 46USD at http://www.banggood.com/XK-X250-2_4G-4CH-6-Axis-RC-Quadcopter-Compatible-With-Futaba-S-FHSS-p-974721.html
Last edited by SeByDocKy; Dec 13, 2015 at 04:26 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 04, 2015, 04:06 PM
Thread OP
Reserved
Nov 04, 2015, 06:32 PM
Fan of just about anything RC
Interesting features, like the many connection ports, and ball bearings, as well as good flight times. Odd to see the radio using a different protocol than the helicopters and the 350, but at least it has a good range chip. Is there any indication on the display that you are flying in high or low rates? I know the manuals of XK aren't always that good, so maybe they didn't give the proper instructions to switch between high and low rates?
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Nov 05, 2015, 12:51 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan
Interesting features, like the many connection ports, and ball bearings, as well as good flight times. Odd to see the radio using a different protocol than the helicopters and the 350, but at least it has a good range chip. Is there any indication on the display that you are flying in high or low rates? I know the manuals of XK aren't always that good, so maybe they didn't give the proper instructions to switch between high and low rates?
No indication on the LCD between the L/H rates .... Maybe they gave false instructions ...
Nov 05, 2015, 02:39 PM
In general terms this drone and better or worse than the NihUi U807?
Nov 05, 2015, 02:52 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeCabra
In general terms this drone and better or worse than the NihUi U807?
Good question ... but since I don't own the U807 I can't compare
Nov 05, 2015, 03:04 PM
Sorry. Wrong place to post, pls delete.
Nov 06, 2015, 12:11 PM
PALE OTAK KAU!!
Banggood and any other website selling the X250 should remove any reference to Futaba,alt.hold and auto land since it has been revealed none of those are in the final product.

Anyways,with a tarantula X6 transmitter it should get 300m range just like how an x5c(v3,v6 board) can get 400m just by using the X8C transmitter as tested by Q101.And it looks like the props from the V636 could fit as well judging by how they're designed.I'm also looking forward to the bradwiization of the quadcopter,interesting to see how much you could mess around with the flight characteristics.
Last edited by KCreep; Nov 06, 2015 at 12:23 PM.
Nov 11, 2015, 11:13 AM
John Kodolemos
with the stock charger i get 2.5 minutes of flight!

tried some 600 batteries and i get less than 2 minutes.(charged with some cheap 4way charger)

???

ill try some more with diffrent chargers...
Nov 11, 2015, 12:49 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by akyros

tried some 600 batteries and i get less than 2 minutes.(charged with some cheap 4way charger)

???

Definitively ... You should have at least 8min
Nov 11, 2015, 01:05 PM
Vox Furry Regem
Quote:
Originally Posted by akyros

???

I'm getting 8 minute plus using the WLToys Tx on 100% and flying it very aggressive. Try a different charger and if you have any that fit a different battery.
Nov 11, 2015, 01:18 PM
John Kodolemos
thnx,but im not sure its a battery problem
the quad struggles a lot to klimb,and the lights start blinking after a couple of (throttle)punches

ill check the batteries with a polymeter later..
Nov 25, 2015, 06:39 AM
Thread OP
Please find a way to add a cheap FPV kit for the XK X250:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2548611
Dec 01, 2015, 01:44 PM
Thread OP
Now seems most of the spare parts are available: http://www.banggood.com/search/x250.html
Dec 02, 2015, 10:17 PM
Vox Furry Regem
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeByDocKy
Please find a way to add a cheap FPV kit for the XK X250:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2548611
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeByDocKy
Now seems most of the spare parts are available: http://www.banggood.com/search/x250.html
Excellent on the parts.

I just ordered a v686G and am hoping that camera will work with this.

Quick Reply