Nov 04, 2015, 03:29 PM
ledge-team.com
Thread OP
New Product

ZEALOT mini FPV quadcopter by Ledge Team (Build Log)

Hello guys,
Introducing a new FPV frame from Ledge Team
Currently available as (almost) ready to fly unit and frame kit. Complete DIY kit planned.

We are a small team of bulgarian drone enthusiasts. Multirotors became leading part of our life for the last two+ years. We try to learn from our past experience and mistakes as well from other winning concepts. You may ask why another mini FPV frame when there are plenty of choices and proved concepts. Well, even excellent frames has their pros and cons. The idea was to combine the pros we like, take out weaknesses (as much as possible of course) and combine that with our own experience, views and experience.
It sounds easier said than done, but after almost an year of development, I'm glad to present the finished product of this concept. It is called ZEALOT!

It comes in 2 prop versions. The classic 5" version is 250mm size symmetrical design (like a normal X quad). There is also a 6" version for those who like to utilize the extra power and effectiveness of 6" propellers.

Here are several optimizations that make ZEALOT different from most designs:
1) Square Arms (available in carbon fiber or aluminum, 5" or 6" version).
- Definitely more rigid than flat arms thanks to the box profile. Result is less vibration, tougher construction and very direct feel. Tuning with less frame vibration is also easier.
- Arms create 10mm space between the main plates. Helps cable management and makes the build look nice and tidy.
- Motors are lifted up. That brings the center of weight tighter. Thing we learned in our tests is that compressing weight (opposite of spreading it) makes control better. General flight characteristic gets better.
- 10mm vertical "ground" available where we conveniently mount LEDs

2) Tool-less change of camera angle.

3) Excellent quality carbon fiber plates with beautiful mat finish. 2mm for the main plates against most commonly 1,5mm used. Once assembled you can try to bend it, then say R I G I D I T Y

4) Access to all fasteners without the need to take apart some other part. That allows fast repairs even on the field. Less curses to be said there

5) Light weight.
My ready to fly build ended at 350grams (with all fpv gear, just without a battery)

Pictures:

to remove ads between posts
Nov 04, 2015, 03:30 PM
ledge-team.com
Thread OP
Build log:

Parts list:
Motors: Micro Titan 2204 2300KV
ESCs - BearHug 18A
FC - Flip32 Acro
Fpv cam - Sony Super HAD II
FPV transmitter - 5.8ghz 200mw FT952
Recevier: FrSky D4R (currently changed to X4R)

Preparation:

getting wire harness soldered together. All esc, fpv gear and voltage monitoring are soldered together. FC is powered by a micro step down reg .

Next is ESC prep and soldering to the wire harness.

All cables are located on the bottom side of the plate as well as the step down regulator.

And the upper side after routing the cables:

Next step is mounting motors and putting plates together with the arms.

Wire harness gets between the plates and we have our first win! All cables fit nicely, even we have left some free space

Using 3M VHB double sided tape for the ESCs.

Cleaning surfaces with isopropyl alcohol before sticking the tape.

And bam.

Cutting motors wires to length and soldering to the ESCs.

Heat shrinking to complete the job

ESC cables come usually longer for our needs so we need to cut them down as well.

That's much better

I personally like Flight controller motor pins soldered on the bottom side. This way cables left hidden beneath.

Only thing left is to add the camera and video TX and..... that's all!

Side battery lead. I like that
Last edited by Rust; Nov 04, 2015 at 04:01 PM.
Nov 04, 2015, 03:30 PM
ledge-team.com
Thread OP
Flight Videos:

Zealot FPV - Thassos (4 min 29 sec)

Two Zealots - A minute of raw sht (1 min 44 sec)

Sunday Blog 06 - Happy Three Quads (Friends) (3 min 31 sec)

Zealot - Betaflight / Luxfloat 2 (Part 1 - before tuning) (4 min 16 sec)
Last edited by Rust; Nov 04, 2015 at 04:03 PM.
Nov 17, 2015, 02:43 AM
ledge-team.com
Thread OP
5 Zealots on the weekly rc meeting. Mafia

Quick Reply