Nov 05, 2015, 12:05 AM
David,

Will heading lock be something that will be available in the futuer?

Hoping to get my A8 installed in a 93in extra this weekend.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 05, 2015, 08:59 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdzrtflyer
David,

Will heading lock be something that will be available in the futuer?

Hoping to get my A8 installed in a 93in extra this weekend.
Hi, I would say likely, even though I don't have a timeline for it. It is a method that can be useful in fixed wing, but it also requires more user knowledge on what it is good for, and what it is not.... and surely will take more effort by the user to configure and tune.

David
Nov 05, 2015, 09:29 AM
"Some do, some don't"
Mine was in the mail box yesterday....

The Aura 8 will replace the Guardian Eagle that I currently have installed in a 3DHS Extra 330SC (72") (Electric not "wet")...

Looking for any input as far as initial values go, but my thoughts are to use the same initial settings that David and QQ developed for the Ventique 60 and then go from there...

I had previously installed an Aura 8 in a PA Addiction using the same values as the QQ Extra with great results.

Right hand still in cast but was actually able to fly some late yesterday with my index finger taking over the right stick controls.... Was a little different and won't be practicing any hardcore 3D anytime soon, but all planes came home unscathed and I absolutely nailed some landings...

Mark R.

old_coastie
Latest blog entry: bringbacktheumxjug
Nov 05, 2015, 09:34 AM
Is the Aura 8 capable of RTH?
Nov 05, 2015, 09:42 AM
I can't fly
Not in its current form, to do that you would need gps and it doesn't have that in the unit. Now it could be an addon later, still there would need to be some software update.
Nov 05, 2015, 12:04 PM
(TechDad) Bob Templeton
I am interested in using this system for flight stabilization on my Freewing Su-35. I use a Taranis radio system and each control surface is assigned to its own channel. I need to be able to maintain the control surface independence or at least be able to have switch-actuated programs in the unit that can do things like flaps and air brakes. Please look at the attached picture.
  • Ailerons/Flapperons
  • Tailerons/Elevons
  • Switch actuated flaps
  • Switch actuated airbrakes (Full up both ailerons, full down both elevons, with rudders spread left and right)
Is this possible with this unit? Thanks in advance.
Latest blog entry: New T-One Mini Turbine...
Nov 05, 2015, 01:11 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3chDad
I am interested in using this system for flight stabilization on my Freewing Su-35. I use a Taranis radio system and each control surface is assigned to its own channel. I need to be able to maintain the control surface independence or at least be able to have switch-actuated programs in the unit that can do things like flaps and air brakes. Please look at the attached picture.
  • Ailerons/Flapperons
  • Tailerons/Elevons
  • Switch actuated flaps
  • Switch actuated airbrakes (Full up both ailerons, full down both elevons, with rudders spread left and right)
Is this possible with this unit? Thanks in advance.
Seems completely doable....
Your inputs to Aura (Tx Outputs) should be more like (it will know all with S.bus) (Default/standard wing types and tail types in Tx)
Aileron (use our bin file or define a custom Tx on Setup Tab)
Elevator
Rudder
Flight Mode (Ch5 default, or customize)
Flap (Ch6 default, or customize)
Speed Brake (you can assign Ch7 or any)

You will do all the 'mixing' in Aura so you have optimum stick priority settings on the '3 flight control axis'. This will allow you to have optimum gyro in the loop controls in the loop as you choose... Aura just wants to see the 'each axis input'

Probably start with the Config Tool New Model Wizard.... Flaperons, dual Elevator, dual Rudder, and customize from there.... (Rudder and Elevator Servo Outputs) Add your Ailerons into your elevators with the correct sign... add your speed break into your Rudders, etc....

Something like the below image... assume you want to leave all gyro in the loop....

For most of these, you can have the inputs 'always on', so you can set up permanent 'output configurations' with 'Custom controls' on the Servo Ports Tab. Just tell each servo port (output) where to look for inputs....

Not sure if I would start with the ELEVON part, but if you want to try, just start with Flaperon, then add in the elevator custom..... should be fine. I am sure the speed brake will take some time... maybe add (servo ports input) that in after the rest is working! Seems like you have that going into about everything!!

Just set your old transmitter program aside and start with a new one... the transmitter settings will be very basic... just raw inputs for Aura!

To trims (to setup) or Subtrims in the Tx.... Center all the control servos using the Aura Subtrim on the servo ports tab.

It may be less work if you 'match' our Aura (and wizard) standard on the Outputs to this order (S1-S6) AilL, AilR, ElevL, ElevR, RudL, RudR
(you'll have two ports over to do what you want with... maybe add a canard! )

Have Fun,
David
Last edited by dribbe; Nov 08, 2015 at 05:28 PM.
Nov 06, 2015, 07:20 AM
(TechDad) Bob Templeton
Thank you for the detailed explanation. I had downloaded the config tool and was playing around with it. Click-once installer...nice. You addressed the questions I had. It looks like a great device and I will be picking one up.

Very much appreciated and keep up the good work.
Latest blog entry: New T-One Mini Turbine...
Nov 06, 2015, 08:21 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3chDad
Thank you for the detailed explanation. I had downloaded the config tool and was playing around with it. Click-once installer...nice. You addressed the questions I had. It looks like a great device and I will be picking one up.

Very much appreciated and keep up the good work.
Your very welcome... Good example.

David
Nov 06, 2015, 09:38 AM
PA Enthusiast
I am interested in trying the Aura 8 in my PA Extra MX. It is often, as you know, windy here in Florida and for my taste light planes and wind do not mix well. The only experience I have is with the AS3X 635 from the Visionaire.
With the Aura 8:
1) Do you have to use a "Y" connector for the ailerons?
2) Can you use sub-trims or do you have to use mechanical adjustments for your control surfaces?
3)I use Spectrum. Should I use 1 or 2 satellites or a separate receiver in the 60" Extra?
Thank you in advance and I am sorry if I have missed this information and it has already been posted.
Tom
Nov 06, 2015, 10:22 AM
"Some do, some don't"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T
I am interested in trying the Aura 8 in my PA Extra MX. It is often, as you know, windy here in Florida and for my taste light planes and wind do not mix well. The only experience I have is with the AS3X 635 from the Visionaire.
With the Aura 8:
1) Do you have to use a "Y" connector for the ailerons?
2) Can you use sub-trims or do you have to use mechanical adjustments for your control surfaces?
3)I use Spectrum. Should I use 1 or 2 satellites or a separate receiver in the 60" Extra?
Thank you in advance and I am sorry if I have missed this information and it has already been posted.
Tom
Tom,

Been using the Aura 8 for awhile now so maybe I can offer some insight.

1) No, Do Not need a Y connector for ailerons, independent servo control outputs is the "preferred" setup... You could use Y but not necessary.. Note: Default TX setup only uses 1 Chan for Aileron input to the Aura 8...

2) Sub trims are, once again, preferably configured in the Aura 8 using the Config Tool or a very simple sub-trim Quick Setup procedure. The servo control tab in the Aura 8 config tool is very versatile allowing you to set not only sub-trim but direction, travel limits ect...

3) A single RX Sat might prove to be sufficient but with a plane like you mentioned I would go with two sats, remember 2 sats doesn't give you more range, just better reliability depending on orientation of the plane... As always, nothing substitutes for a full range check before the maiden...

Hope this answers some of your questions.

Mark R.

old_coastie
Latest blog entry: bringbacktheumxjug
Nov 06, 2015, 10:31 AM
PA Enthusiast
Mark,
Thank you so much. I am looking forward to making this purchase and delving into this aspect of our hobby.
Tom
Nov 06, 2015, 03:01 PM
Thread OP
Yes, Mark said it well....

On the trims, for excellent results:
Good:
-1 Use Aura Subtrim on the Servo Port tab in the Config Tool (to get desired/correct geometry and center)
-2 Mechanical adjustments (to get center with correct geometry)
-3 Use of Aura Quick Trim feature to fine tune (but cannot balance Independence servos on the same axis) Can be done before and after flight... and repeated... (Quick trim transfers the transmitters subtrim to the Aura's subtrim, so it is basically the same as Aura Subtrim with the limits mentioned above)
-Combinations of the above (ex. 2 & 3 together)

-Also good, make sure your radio is calibrated... monitor (or live input data in config tool) is 0 on flight controls.

Avoid
-Transmitter subtrim on a flight control (always)
-significant (non temporary) trim on a flight control.

(Review the published materials, videos, etc. )

Best Regards,
David
Nov 06, 2015, 03:45 PM
Hi Dave,

Your PM box is full

Quote:
Originally Posted by dribbe
Avoid
-Transmitter subtrim on a flight control (always)
If you are using a Spektrum AirWare-based transmitter, you can disable trims per channel using the Trim Setup screen.

Andy
Nov 06, 2015, 06:04 PM
PA Enthusiast
I'm in. Is there anything else I need to order?

Quick Reply