Nov 03, 2015, 04:50 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Potenza Aura 8 AFCS - Flex Innovations - Official Thread

Starting a thread to discuss the open stock (retail) version of the Aura 8 Advanced Flight Control System that started shipping this week. Aura is intended for all Fixed Wing Aircraft.

Name: Aura_8_Advanced_Logo_500.png
Views: 522
Size: 41.2 KB
Description:
Name: Aura_8_8381_900.jpg
Views: 558
Size: 59.3 KB
Description:

Product information is here:
http://www.flexinnovations.com/product-p/fpzaura08.htm

User Information(Main Support and many links to the User Guide, FAQ, and other detailed information is found here:
http://wiki.flexinnovations.com/wiki/Aura
Aura Config Tool
http://store.flexinnovations.com/aura-config-tool/
Direct to Manuals and Documents
http://www.flexinnovations.com/articles.asp?ID=254

Here is a link to there Flex Innovations YouTube channel where you can find several playlists containing Video information. Also, in the regular videos section you can find a few clips of it in testing in a few different Model Types.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtU...2bWkbGMnxhz05A

FWIW, some of the other models of various types flying on Aura are posted on our FaceBook Page.... you may have to scroll down quite a bit!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Flex-...52109155004592

Current price is $99.99 but feel free to compare it to much more expensive products!

Best Regards,
David
Flex Innovations Inc
Last edited by dribbe; Feb 17, 2016 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Update Links for new web site...
to remove ads between posts
Nov 03, 2015, 04:54 PM
Thread OP
The Aura 8 is the an advanced flight control system for fixed wing aircraft. It Is very lightweight and compatible with all major radio brands. You no longer need to spend a fortune, nor be restricted to specific radio types to experience state of the art control.

The Aura 8 is designed to enhance the pilots experience, while not interfering with the pilots control. Your aircraft will fly as if it were bigger, and in less wind, even though it is as agile as you want it to be.

The powerful 32-bit processor makes it virtually future proof. The micro USB port makes updates easy, not complex. The firmware can even be updated as new features become available. Today, the Aura 8 offers various three axis gyro stabilization modes (and yes, you can turn it off from the transmitter if you choose), but it's new generation six axis sensor means it is ready for the future

Features:
  • Enhanced Stability and Control for all types of Fixed Wing Aircraft
  • 24 Channel internal architecture makes Aura powerful and allows the user to setup an incredible variety of control solutions
  • PC Application includes a NEW Model Wizard that quickly and easily guides the user through the setup process
  • Connects easily to receivers or satellites from all major radio brands
  • Micro USB Port allows loading model configurations, user programming, and firmware updates. It uses a standard Micro USB Cable with NO 'special adapters' needed
  • Custom tuning through intuitive PC Application
  • 3+ Flight Modes allow precise or aggressive settings to be selected in the same flight
  • Any flight mode can be setup as controls "OFF"
  • Unlike many other systems, ALL flight modes can include control loops such as Gyros
  • 3 Axis Gyro modes for optimum Precision and 3D Aerobatics
  • 6 Axis Sensor and powerful 32-bit processor allows for continuous expansion and feature updates
  • Lightweight and well thought out design allows flexible and clean installations without expensive add-ons required
  • Includes Aura 8, Micro USB Cable, 4 male-male 'Servo' Interconnect Leads, 'bind plug', and Mounting Tape
Specifications:
Dimensions: 38.2mm x 36.5mm x 14.5mm (1.5" x 1.4" x 0.6")
Weight: 13 grams (0.5 oz)
Servo Port: FUT/JR/Universal
Voltage: 4 - 10V DC
Ports:
  • Eight Servo Ports can be individually configured as (PWM) Inputs or Outputs
  • Two dedicated mini-ports for DSM® Satellites in single or diversity configurations
  • Dedicated input 'Port B' for single wire digital connection via S.Bus® (Futaba®) or SRXL (SPM) or JR® XBus (mode B) or Graupner (SUMD of 8) or analog PPM stream (Fr Sky)
  • Supports traditional receivers via male to male 'Servo' Interconnect Leads
  • Micro USB Port for loading model programs, user programming, and firmware updates
  • Telemetry port for future expansion
Nov 03, 2015, 04:54 PM
Thread OP
Primary support path is http://wiki.flexinnovations.com/wiki/Aura

Due to the Flexible nature of the Aura, when seeking support, it will likely go faster and smoother if you advise:
-Aura Type: Extra or Open Stock
-Brand and Model of Transmitter in use
-Brand and Model of Receiver(s) in use
-Type of Reciever connection and port (PWM, Xbus, Sbus, Remote, SRXL, SumD, PPM, etc)
-Configuration method in use? Quick Set? New Model Wizard in Config Tool?
-Description of issue, etc
-For many questions we will want to know the LED states of the various devices around the issue.

It is good to review the Troubleshooting Guide, FAQ, and various resources on the Aura User Home... as well as the Youtube videos... and, oh yeah, the User Guide/Manual!!
------------------------------------------------------------------
We can try to help out on the forums with general topics and so forth, but for official support, contact us directly please.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a partial list of some of the aircraft our team has extensively tested the Aura in:
-(hundreds) QQ Extra 300 (by our team and hundreds of Customers
(4 PWM, JR Mode B, Fut S.bus, SPM Remote Rx, Gr SumD)
-(6) Ventiqe 60e (S.Bus, 2 SPM Remote Rx)
-Mamba Model 12 Bipe (70cc 2 cyl) (S.bus)
-Several Electric Prototypes (JR Mode B, SPM Sat, S.bus, Gr SumD)
-Model 12 (200cc 4 cyl) (S.bus)
-H9 Extra 300 (60cc 1 cyl) (2 SPM Remote Rx !!)
-PAU Edge (120cc 2 cyl) (SPM12120 SRXL)
-Habu Foamie EDF (1 SPM Remote Rx)
-BVM Bandit EDF
-Premier F-16 3D Thrust Vectoring 180 Turbine (Fut S.bus)
-Top Gun 2014-5 winning Mig 15 scale 140 Turbine (SPM12120 SRXL)
-(2) Yak 130 prototype 160 Turbine (SPM12120 SRXL)
-Euro Sport 3D Thrust Vectoring 180 Turbine
-Euro Sport 160 Turbine (PWM Inputs)
-JL ViperJet 120 Turbine (PWM Inputs)
-PA Addiction (Mark)
Last edited by dribbe; Jan 17, 2016 at 11:03 AM.
Nov 03, 2015, 08:32 PM
Great to see this thread starting! It flies so great in the extra i cant wait to receive mine thats in the mail now!
Nov 03, 2015, 10:44 PM
Guys,

Great job on the videos. Ya'll have been busy!!
Nov 03, 2015, 11:31 PM
Official Boat Bum
Wow. I own two iGyro 3e's and a Cortex. This thing looks like it is as good or better than those on paper. Any thoughts on how it "feels" compared to the expensive cousins?

Also, how does the "open stock" Aura compare to the one you guys include with the QQ300?

I have to admit, I'm super interested!
Nov 04, 2015, 08:27 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakeboxer
Guys,

Great job on the videos. Ya'll have been busy!!
Thanks.... maybe not a pro, but should help out... A lot more work than most would think! David
Nov 04, 2015, 08:36 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie P
Wow. I own two iGyro 3e's and a Cortex. This thing looks like it is as good or better than those on paper. Any thoughts on how it "feels" compared to the expensive cousins?

Also, how does the "open stock" Aura compare to the one you guys include with the QQ300?

I have to admit, I'm super interested!
Hi Eddie,
Thanks for the interest.
The 'feel' question is tricky to answer as the company, and I find it is usually best to let the customers address this topic, but, since it is so new, here goes:

We believe we have the power and capability to go up against anyone. As of today, we don't have 'heading lock' features in it, so if that is someones core interest, it is not there at present. We do have 'rate command', but it is not the same.

Our goal was to make it be able to be very powerful if desired. Compared to some, we have the advantage of being a very new platform with the latest sensors and (32 bit) processors available.
We also wanted to make it as 'unobtrusive' to the pilot as possible... so it feels natural, and largely out of the way.... just a bigger, more solid aircraft.
Based on our own extensive experience, feedback from many many Extra pilots, feedback from a good size Beta test pool, and feed back from the many pilots we have let try it at shows, we feel we have been very successful toward the goals.

The Open Stock Aura is identical hardware to the Extra. They are currently running the same Firmware (1.2) and control loops. They are convertible by the Config Tool.
The Extra has the advantage of having PWM (4 servo leads) available as Auto-detect without a PC, and having a settings that are simple, and highly tuned to the extra.
The OS auto-detects 'digital' radio formats, and has a 'Quick Setup' no PC capability, and has a broader array of adjustments available.

Our platform is friendly, yet has many capabilities that I am unaware of others matching.... the Aura has 8 customize-able Gyro Enabled ports available. It can have say 6 Control Modes (think gyro settings) and 2 can be assigned for each Flight Mode.
One example... a 3D F-16 may have Aura Ports similar to:
LAil, RAil, LElev,Relev,Rudder,NWheel,ThrVectPitch, ThrVectYaw, X+7
Each of the 3 flight modes can have 2 sets of control modes, so you can have different gyro settings for flight controls and thrust vectoring in each FM.
This is just one example, it can also be used to customize gyro in the loop features like:
trimmable steerable nose wheel steering, flaperons or speed brake/crow with optimized gyro on 'center' (ex. 4 Aile Crow in Pitts model 12), Elevons mixed and canard, etc.

Hope this helps,
David
Last edited by dribbe; Nov 04, 2015 at 08:56 AM.
Nov 04, 2015, 09:17 AM
"Some do, some don't"
Subscribed.....

Thanks Flex Team for opening a thread where the Aura 8 can be discussed in detail.

Looking forward to the give and take...

Mark R.

old_coastie
Latest blog entry: bringbacktheumxjug
Nov 04, 2015, 09:19 AM
"Some do, some don't"
Quote:
Originally Posted by dribbe
Primary support path is aurasupport@flexinnovations.com

We can try to help out on the forums with general topics and so forth, but for official support, contact us directly please.

Here is a partial list of some of the aircraft our team has extensively tested the Aura in:
-(hundreds) QQ Extra 300 (by our team and hundreds of Customers
-(6) Ventiqe 60e
-Mamba Model 12 Bipe (70cc 2 cyl)
-Several Electric Prototypes
-Model 12 (200cc 4 cyl)
-H9 Extra 300 (60cc 1 cyl)
-PAU Edge (120cc 2 cyl)
-Habu Foamie EDF
-BVM Bandit EDF
-Premier F-16 3D Thrust Vectoring 180 Turbine
-Top Gun 2014-5 winning Mig 15 scale 140 Turbine
-(2) Yak 130 prototype 160 Turbine
-Euro Sport 3D Thrust Vectoring 180 Turbine
-Euro Sport 160 Turbine
-JL ViperJet 120 Turbine (PWM Inputs)

--- reserved for later Updates, sample install, etc. ---
Add PA Addiction to the list, Don't ask me how I know....

And DANG I want access to David and QQ's Hangar.... That's quite a list of toys....

Mark R.

old_coastie
Last edited by old_coastie; Nov 04, 2015 at 12:15 PM.
Nov 04, 2015, 03:22 PM
I can't fly
Mine arrives today will try and get it in a plane this weekend and do some test flights. Will definitely be using a plane i have the cortex in already to do some direct comparisons
Nov 04, 2015, 04:06 PM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
I look forward to the direct comparison to the cortex.
Nov 04, 2015, 08:13 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_coastie
Add PA Addiction to the list, Don't ask me how I know....

And DANG I want access to David and QQ's Hangar.... That's quite a list of toys....

Mark R.

old_coastie
List updated, and they are not ALL our toys.... (but a good chunk of them )

David
Nov 04, 2015, 09:38 PM
I can't fly
Initial looks of the unit are good. Build of the unit has a solid feel, very nice packaging.

Weather does look good so far for the weekend so I maybe able to report my findings soon.
Last edited by camoy; Nov 04, 2015 at 11:49 PM.

Quick Reply