Nov 02, 2015, 09:04 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Next step up from a V912?

Hi guys, looking for some suggestions.

I have a WL Toys V912, which I really like. But I'd like to progress onto a CP heli.

Not too fussed about 3D flying, but would like something that is more friendly to flying outside more often.

What I'd really like is something V912 sized. Does anything exist?

I know there are smaller CP heli's. But I'd like something bigger than a V911, but no bigger than the V912 ideally.

Price wise, well I would prefer a more budget orientated offering. But I'd be open to suggestions.

If possible I'd like to use my Spektrum Tx with whatever I get, but it's not essentially, so long as I don't have to spend out on another expensive Tx.

Experience wise. I fly mainly fixed wing, but have various. I've also had a V911 FP heli for a good number of years and the V912. And a quad.

I've not flown CP's before, but feel as though I'm up for the challenge.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 02, 2015, 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenDrumstick
Hi guys, looking for some suggestions.

I have a WL Toys V912, which I really like. But I'd like to progress onto a CP heli.

Not too fussed about 3D flying, but would like something that is more friendly to flying outside more often.

What I'd really like is something V912 sized. Does anything exist?

I know there are smaller CP heli's. But I'd like something bigger than a V911, but no bigger than the V912 ideally.

Price wise, well I would prefer a more budget orientated offering. But I'd be open to suggestions.

If possible I'd like to use my Spektrum Tx with whatever I get, but it's not essentially, so long as I don't have to spend out on another expensive Tx.

Experience wise. I fly mainly fixed wing, but have various. I've also had a V911 FP heli for a good number of years and the V912. And a quad.

I've not flown CP's before, but feel as though I'm up for the challenge.
If you haven't flown cp's before, believe me, it will be a challenge! I'm sure others will chime in but I think that you'd be much better off going with the Blade 200 SRX as an interim helicopter. It's about the same size as your V912 and I believe that it will work with your present TX.
Nov 02, 2015, 02:44 PM
Nice FBL F/P helis will be dandy. BL even better like Blade 200 SR-X.
FWIW clone birds are fine, but if you like Helis as hobby. Computer TX's and brands you can go to smallest to biggest. I know I don't need that now you may say but good TX is good for planks/ quads/ helis etc.
Nov 02, 2015, 04:21 PM
XK K110 (V977) is bigger than a V911 and cheaper than 200SR-X, while you get a CP instead of a FP.

K110 and V977 are the same mechanically but K110 may have better control if you are willing to pay a bit more.

http://www.banggood.com/XK-K110-Blas...-p-974729.html

There was a 10% off coupon, if it has not expired.
Nov 03, 2015, 05:16 AM
The Walkera v120d02s is a little larger than a v977 and has a nice 6axis fbl RX but won't be as durable in crashes and I guess you are bound to crash as you transition to cp so a v977 or k110 might be a good cp trainer .
Last edited by dadio; Nov 03, 2015 at 06:02 AM.
Nov 03, 2015, 05:44 AM
Thread OP
Thanks. The V977 looks ok, although I was hoping for something larger. I admit I have been looking at the Assault 100 from Hobbyking, which I believe is actually a HiSKy HCP100S. Guess that might be a good step up. And a similar size to the V977.

And I think it will work with my DX6i Spektrum Tx, which will be nice.

I do understand a flybarless FP might be a good middle step. But I'm not sure how much better one would be outside.

Sadly where I fly there always seems to be a breeze. I tend to fly a lot of ultra micro fixed wings. They all fly great there.

The V912 I like because it's a similar size, so you can fly it about like the micro's, covering a similar sort of distance and circuits. Any smaller and you have to keep them so close to you just so you can see them.

The trouble with the V192 is, it flies lovely in completely still conditions. And if it was like that all the time, then I probably wouldn't want more. But you only need a bit of a breeze and I find you end up constantly fighting to keep it flying where you want it. I was hoping the higher head speed of a CP heli would solve this. While I'm not sure if a flybarless FP will.
Nov 03, 2015, 06:15 AM
The hcp100s is NOT a good CP trainer , its a great high performance 3d 100 size micro but it's way too powerful to learn on ,I'd recommend something with switchable 6axis stabilization and 1 cell brushless only .the reason is that you will crash ,lots and the hcp100s will take damage in one crash in three ,where as the v977 probably has a ratio of damage one crash in 15 or 20 so you'll be flying more and fixing less ,flightles bird's don't help you learn to fly nearly as quickly as ones you can fly .
Nov 03, 2015, 09:41 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp09
XK K110 (V977) is bigger than a V911 and cheaper than 200SR-X, while you get a CP instead of a FP.

K110 and V977 are the same mechanically but K110 may have better control if you are willing to pay a bit more.

http://www.banggood.com/XK-K110-Blas...-p-974729.html

There was a 10% off coupon, if it has not expired.
Curious, but what would make the XK-K110 have better control? Thanks.
Nov 03, 2015, 09:48 AM
Just want to add that the HCP100S (or Assault 100) only works with Spektrum after adding a compatible satellite. We have to add that to the equation. If we worry about the stock TX, spend a bit more to get a K110 RTF.

BTW my new HCP100S is still grounded as I broken the wires at the tail motor trying to add a screw to secure it. Then the HCP100S main gear is known to be a weak point once I can get it airborne. In comparison, the V977/K110 is a much better trainer.

We want a CP if we fly in the wind. Don't spend too much on a FP.
Nov 03, 2015, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenDrumstick
Curious, but what would make the XK-K110 have better control? Thanks.
The V977 has curves built into the RX, we cannot alter them easily. Gyro gains are all fixed.

The K110 is more like a regular CP with curves (I guess tail gain too) programmable on the TX. That would give us better control by design. The only thing not configurable is cyclic gyro gain.

I don't have the stock XK or WL TX, but from reviews, most suggested that the stock XK TX is better than the stock WL TX quality-wise.
Last edited by Wasp09; Nov 03, 2015 at 10:02 AM.
Nov 03, 2015, 10:19 AM
DrumStick,

If you really want something bigger, you may consider this:

http://www.ehirobo.com/rc-helicopter...tf-2-4ghz.html

The X3V is a good 250 size CP. It is affordable and flies well in wind but it is not as crash-able as smaller micro's and nano's. I like its gyro, X303V. I use it on my 450's. It makes anything fly. 250 is a bit bigger than V912, but I use V912 LG and fins on my 250's.

XV3 may still come with an upside down middle bearing that we have to correct on our own.

Cheers.
Nov 03, 2015, 11:18 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
The V977 has curves built into the RX, we cannot alter them easily. Gyro gains are all fixed.

The K110 is more like a regular CP with curves (I guess tail gain too) programmable on the TX. That would give us better control by design. The only thing not configurable is cyclic gyro gain.

I don't have the stock XK or WL TX, but from reviews, most suggested that the stock XK TX is better than the stock WL TX quality-wise.
Thanks, that's really helpful. On a heli like this I think I'd stick with the stock Tx, as the RTF versions are so cheap to buy. And I don't really want to layout big for another quality Tx to only use with one model. If I didn't have my DX6i, then I'd look at other Tx's.

Thanks for the info about the Assault 100 too. I agree, I think that would be a step too far.
Nov 03, 2015, 11:21 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
DrumStick,

If you really want something bigger, you may consider this:

http://www.ehirobo.com/rc-helicopter...tf-2-4ghz.html

The X3V is a good 250 size CP. It is affordable and flies well in wind but it is not as crash-able as smaller micro's and nano's. I like its gyro, X303V. I use it on my 450's. It makes anything fly. 250 is a bit bigger than V912, but I use V912 LG and fins on my 250's.

XV3 may still come with an upside down middle bearing that we have to correct on our own.

Cheers.
Thanks, that's not one I knew about. Sadly shipping seems to be $70-120 on top. Have to see if I can source one more locally or with free shipping to consider it.
Nov 03, 2015, 12:13 PM
Used to be free shipping for orders over $50 to $100 from MM. That is the cheapest X3V shipped, but it is currently out of stock:

http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/in...oducts_id=8906

And it is $206 shipped on aliexpress:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-...rchweb201560_9

Distributor list on manufacturer website:

http://skyartec.com/guowai.html

Please make sure that you get the X3V with X303V not the old stock with X302V RX.
Nov 04, 2015, 07:41 AM
Thread OP
Having a bit more of a look about, it seems the new Blade 230S is actually the sort of thing I'm after.

It's a little more pricey, but not as much as I thought. And would work with my DX6i, although not ideal. Maybe I should look at upgrading to the newer DX6 Tx first and 230S. That would at least allow me to fly all of my fixed wings and this heli off of a single Tx.

Quick Reply