Nov 01, 2015, 08:38 AM
Wanted for breaking Ohm's Law
Thread OP
Build Log

Scale Build Off 5: 1/6 scale Mooney Mite

In keeping with my affection for seldom modeled General Aviation types I drew up plans for a 1/6' scale Mooney Mite. My friend, Mike/TR6World actually planted the seeds during lunch at last Spring's Toledo Show.

I picked 1/6 scale as it gives a 54" wingspan and wing area of 409 sq in. This size works good for transportation and I've used the same Scorpion 3014/1040 motor in my Bellanca Cruisemaster as well as my LoPresti Fury.

The design has a large canopy / hatch to exchange the 3S4000 battery and will use E-Flite 15-25 retracts.

I enlarged the three view to 1/6 scale and used SmartSketch to draw my plans. I used Compufoil 3D for the wing design. The plans were finished the end of September and I had John Valentine from Top Notch Kits cut the ribs, formers, and cowl bits. I used Top Notch because they also produce a really nice 1/6 scale A65 Engine which I'll use. Construction will be traditional balsa and plywood.

I found the attached pictures of the Mooney Mite to model, I like the color scheme.

I haven't started gluing bits yet but will start posting pictures of my progress soon.

Denny
Last edited by Dennis Sumner; Jan 13, 2016 at 08:21 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 01, 2015, 11:16 AM
Great subject Dennis. The plan form of the Mite will look quite distinctive as it passes overhead.
Nice choice for color scheme. I will be following, yet another, of your outstanding builds.

Brad
Nov 01, 2015, 11:31 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbalgra
Great subject Dennis. The plan form of the Mite will look quite distinctive as it passes overhead.
Nice choice for color scheme. I will be following, yet another, of your outstanding builds.

Brad
Thanks Brad, Welcome aboard...

Did you finish your RV?

Denny
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Nov 01, 2015, 11:39 AM
Not yet, unfortunately. I got side tracked this summer with a scratchbuilt foam design I have been "fine tuning". Come to think about it, you may recognize the colors.

Here's a link to it over in the Foamies Scratchbuilt forum:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ghlight=beeker
Nov 01, 2015, 12:03 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
All of the Mooney's have such a distinctive planform. They are beautiful airplanes. I'm looking forward to this build, Dennis. Best wishes...

Tony
Nov 01, 2015, 01:01 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbalgra
Not yet, unfortunately. I got side tracked this summer with a scratchbuilt foam design I have been "fine tuning". Come to think about it, you may recognize the colors.

Here's a link to it over in the Foamies Scratchbuilt forum:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ghlight=beeker
...Just checked out your thread....love the VW look and classic color scheme. Looks cool flying in your videos. What video camera are you using? Looks like you have it mounted on a bill of a baseball cap? I need to get one as it's hard to get someone to use my camera to get video.....although a friend used my Canon SX50 to get video of my Cruisemaster
Nov 01, 2015, 01:03 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPfingston
All of the Mooney's have such a distinctive planform. They are beautiful airplanes. I'm looking forward to this build, Dennis. Best wishes...

Tony
Thanks for checking in Tony. I'm looking forward to building season although we've had a pretty nice fall here in SE Michigan.
Nov 01, 2015, 03:28 PM
Baboon McGoon
One of my favorites! Got the Top Notch 1/4 scale kit. This thread could quite possibly get me inspired to make it a winter project.
Nov 01, 2015, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Sumner
...Just checked out your thread....love the VW look and classic color scheme. Looks cool flying in your videos. What video camera are you using? Looks like you have it mounted on a bill of a baseball cap? I need to get one as it's hard to get someone to use my camera to get video.....although a friend used my Canon SX50 to get video of my Cruisemaster
Dennis,

I have been using a older GoPro Hero 2 with a different lens installed. I scratched the original lens after quite a bit of use, so I replaced it with a Rage Cams 130 deg FOV lens. I like it better than the original because it doesn't have the "fish eye" effect. It took a bit a time getting it focused correctly, and I still think it could use a little better focus sometimes. ( maybe it's just my eyes?)

Currently, I mount it to my mountain bike helmet, because it already had a Gopro mount, which makes it very easy to adjust. I also use an Edutige ETM 001 external microphone with a "dead cat" wind sock which is picks up incredible sound with absolutely no wind noise.

I know that a good quality, small camera mounted on the brim of a hat will also work well. Just make sure to have it aimed properly and remember to keep your head still and follow the airplane with your whole head, not just your eyes.

I've always enjoyed smooth, in frame videos, but found it is very hard to do with someone else filming your plane. Once I tried this set up, I have been very satisfied with the results.

Brad
Nov 01, 2015, 04:34 PM
Thread OP
Looks interesting...love the dead cat microphone cover! Does the Hero 2 also have image stabilization?
Nov 01, 2015, 04:40 PM
No. Would love to upgrade to a new one!
Dec 01, 2015, 11:18 PM
Mike Brinker
Well, Denny, I'm excited to watch your progress. I enjoyed your Bellanca build and I'm sure this one will go well. General Aviation buffs should appreciate this one. I'm subscribed!

Best of Luck Denny.

Mike
Dec 02, 2015, 06:52 AM
Thread OP
Thanks Mike.

I haven't made much progress yet, I came down with a bad cold/cough on November 9th and still not quite over it....I did cut the tail feathers out and have the fuse sides cut out and prepped and ready to join...Hopefully I'll be able to share progress pix soon. Also caught up in the Christmas Prep mode too...

Denny
Dec 02, 2015, 10:08 AM

Great Outines

Looking forward to the build and flying next season

Best,

-DG
Dec 02, 2015, 10:54 AM
Thread OP
[QUOTE=Dave Grife;33339834]Looking forward to the build and flying next season

Me too....