Jul 17, 2004, 11:00 PM
Thread OP

Himax + Earl Stahl P-40 = WOW!!

I spent 4 months over the winter building this model. It is an Earl Stahl free flight plan enlarged to 36" ws. Since the beginning, I have seem to be snakebit. I originally powered it with GWS 300 and 8 cell 1000 mah nihm. It flew rather tame, and did not have the power to loop. On the 8th flight, it got snagged by a tree. After rebuilding, I switched to a GWS 350. Not much better. After a multitude of prop changes and various dings and dents, I was getting really dissappointed in it. Then I read about the fact that the JST connectors I was using were not allowing enough amps to get to the motor and I suspected the battery of being a little tired. So I changed out the connectors to Tamiya connectors and put in an 8 cell Kan 1050 pack. Big difference. I could tell it had more power just by running the motor up. On the first flight with this combo, the spinner came loose and burned out the motor. Thankfully she glides well and I was able to bring her in softly.

At about this time, I downloaded the motocalc introduction software and proceeded to play around with some motor combos. I settled on the Himax 2015-5400 and an APC 10x7 slofly with the Kan pack I had in there. I made a new spinner and had her all ready to remaiden again today. Motocalc predicted that with this combo at 17 onces she would have 1:1 static thrust and have enough thrust in flight for vertical climbout.

Handlaunching has always been a little difficult as she has to have some speed to keep from tip stalling. Some of the dings occured during hand launching. Anyhow, I ran up the throttle and prepared to launch it today. Could barely hold it still with all the thrust she now has. When I let go, she rolled a little to the left and started to lose a little altitude. I quickly reached for the tranny and gave her some up and right. Wow, she climbed out at a very steep angle. Before I knew it, she was way up there. By now I am really smiling. I leveled her out and tried a loop. Easily loops from level flight. I tried another loop and kept her going. She did 3 loops. tried some rolls. She rolls and rolls and rolls. Very quick. But not hard to control. The controls are very crisp and easy. I pulled her straight up and rolled her several times before she ran out of momentum.

At about 2 to 3 minutes in, I started to hear some rattling noise. I knew what that was because I had heard it before. I had lost another spinner. I quickly brought her in. When I went to pick her up, I discovered that I had also lost the cockpit hatch. The plane was so high up, I never knew when I lost it. I removed the remainder of the spinner and launched her without the cockpit. I just had a ball flying her for about another 5 minutes before I noticed any power drop off.

So now I have found the perfect set up for this plane and now she is in need of a makeover. I am so frustrated with her that I dont know if I want to try to maker her over of just move on to finish the Me 109 I have about half finished now. I can keep flying her just as she is if I want. But it bothers me to have a plane that just doesn't look right.

I would call this plane a complete success now. I have learned a lot about what works and what doesn't work that I can incorporate into future models in Mr. Stahls stable of plans. There are several more that I want to build. I can say that these designs can be built into some outstanding flying models. I would recommend them to anyone who wants a WW2 warbird and with the setup I used it will fly like a fighter should. Fast, manuverable, and stable enough to be forgiving to a novice pilot like myself.

Jim
to remove ads between posts
Jul 17, 2004, 11:29 PM
Big gov never Works
I knew you would like it. Now with the added power you will have to balance those props.

Steve
Jul 17, 2004, 11:41 PM
Love them P-40's!
There ain't nothin' like a good P-40!

Nice work. Looks great.
Jul 18, 2004, 12:53 AM
I would lose the Tamiya connectors. They are really unreliable, deans connectors or some other high quality connector would be a much better choice.
Jul 18, 2004, 03:21 AM
The blade numbers go up to 11
Nice one, Jim! I gave up on the EPS350 after I blew it up on 3S lipos. I replaced it with an AXI 2212-34 on 3S lipos and APCe 9x6 - absolutely brilliant! Apart from the nice sound, great performance and longer duration (it now draws 6A instaed of 9A static, but goes as well) I find the more linear power response of the brushless much better, possibly because I had a cheapo esc. The cool thing is, unless I ding it nose first into a rock the motor should last forever.

G'day Steve - when are you doing your next 200% Stahl plane? P40 perhaps?
Stu.
Jul 18, 2004, 03:47 AM
Big gov never Works
G'day Stu! May be the Kingfisher. But a lot on the table right now. I'm building a hush-hush project, at the moment, but will be doing a build thread soon. This will be a future kit.

Lata' matey'

Steve
Jul 18, 2004, 12:01 PM
Departing at 'O' dark 30
Hey Jima, i just recently switched off a bunch of JST for Deans Ultra. What a huge difference! im so sorry i waited so long. Im wanting to try my luck on a P-40 in the fall, outa foam though. Glad your enjoying the brushless!
Jul 18, 2004, 01:11 PM
Ay up it's warped
I agree to loose the Tamiya connectors, the gold plated bullet type are popular this side of the pond. Nice to see you are enjoying the model as much as we did
Jul 18, 2004, 01:55 PM
Thread OP
Thanks guys.

I wished she still looked as good as in the above picture. That was just after the rebuild. She is now absent one cockpit hatch and no spinner. Plus a lot of dings and patches from all the attempts to fly with not enough power. Right now I am faced with trying to do a makeover or just flying it as is and finishing up the 109 I already have started.

I think the 109.

Jim
Jul 18, 2004, 03:21 PM
EB-66C Team Member
I've switched all my BL to Deans Ultra plugs, no problems. And there is no substitute for BL power! Have a P-40 on the horizon myself.

J
Jul 18, 2004, 04:05 PM
Neophyte hacker
Jim,

Great plane! I too switched to the same Himaxx in another plane when I burned out yet another of thos dreaded GWS 300 series motors. It is agreat little motor. Our LHS now has the setup with the aluminum gearbox, three sets of gear ratios and prop adaptor, all for about $60. What a deal!

Please finish the P-40 so we can see it! I have downloaded a bunch of the Earl Stahl plans and will someday get around to building some. P-40 is definitely one of them!

Steve, how much longer are you going to keep us all in suspense!!!??? I understand skunk works, but, this teasing is too much

charlie
Jul 18, 2004, 04:20 PM
Big gov never Works
I'm afraid thats not up to me. After flying trials,I probably will be able to post the thread. So far I have 85 construction pics. And, am almost ready to start on cowling molds, etc.

Jim, I would refresh myself with the 109, then go back to making another P-40, using what you have learned from this one. The next ones will come out that much better.

Steve
Jul 18, 2004, 08:18 PM
Beautiful model! Looks even better than before the tree intercept!

I'm looking forward to seeing the Emil take flight.

Good luck,

Cameron Aach
Jul 18, 2004, 10:11 PM
Thread OP
Steve,

I am taking your advice. Worked a couple of hours today on the 109. Some of the first things I did was to remove the balsa motor mount, strengthen the wing mount, and make plans to build in a large upper hatch that will be held in at the front with dowel pins. That should keep it from being blown away from all the thrust from that Himax. It will also make it possible to have plenty of access to battery area if I decide to switch to Lipos later. Boy 3s lipos would really make it a rocket. I also started to infill the first 2 bays behind the cowl.

I have also been toying with the idea of joining the local RC club. A couple of the guys are getting into electric planes and I think it would be neat to be able to ROG off their asphalt runway. I brought my Strutter to one of their meetings and they were pretty impressed with it. I had it sitting a couple of feet behind one of the guys 4 stroke Chipmunks when he cranked it up. The prop wash almost blew it away before I could grab it. I have also been thinking of adding removable landing gear to the 109 if I do decide to join. Just thinking about it is getting my building juices churning again.

I will be reviving the thread on the 109.

Jim

Quick Reply