Oct 31, 2015, 07:28 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

JETI and Flex Innovations Aura 8 AFCS compatibility?

Need an expert opinion here guys. The Aura 8 uses serial bus communications with JR, Spektrum and Futaba receivers and I'm curious. Is our EX bus a serial bus as in the previously mentioned? That allows single plug in connection and data transfer versus multi-servo wires plugged in /through. Thoughts? Anyone know?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 01, 2015, 07:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDill
Need an expert opinion here guys. The Aura 8 uses serial bus communications with JR, Spektrum and Futaba receivers and I'm curious. Is our EX bus a serial bus as in the previously mentioned? That allows single plug in connection and data transfer versus multi-servo wires plugged in /through. Thoughts? Anyone know?
Yes, EX Bus is a serial bus but I'm about 99.99999% certain that the Aura 8 won't talk EX Bus. Like all serial buses EX Bus is proprietary and not common enough for them to have taken the time to implement it.

Still, there won't be any problems using an Aura 8 with Jeti. since it can be installed in a number of different configurations. Also Jeti supports PPM which I believe the Aura 8 will support. Jeti also has a receiver firmware version allowing it to talk S.Bus which the Aura 8 definitely supports.

I've had a pre-order in for an Aura 8 for quite a while and I'll be using it with Jeti so I'll be able to say more once I get it in my hands, which should be fairly soon.

Wayne
Nov 01, 2015, 07:26 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfield0455
Yes, EX Bus is a serial bus but I'm about 99.99999% certain that the Aura 8 won't talk EX Bus. Like all serial buses EX Bus is proprietary and not common enough for them to have taken the time to implement it.

Still, there won't be any problems using an Aura 8 with Jeti. since it can be installed in a number of different configurations. Also Jeti supports PPM which I believe the Aura 8 will support. Jeti also has a receiver firmware version allowing it to talk S.Bus which the Aura 8 definitely supports.

I've had a pre-order in for an Aura 8 for quite a while and I'll be using it with Jeti so I'll be able to say more once I get it in my hands, which should be fairly soon.

Wayne
Thanks so much Wayne! I've got a QQ300 with the Aura8 but am interested in trying one out on one of my 120cc biplanes which are all CB200 equipped. I expect a science project but I think run via serial bus would simplify matters dramatically.
Nov 02, 2015, 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDill
Thanks so much Wayne! I've got a QQ300 with the Aura8 but am interested in trying one out on one of my 120cc biplanes which are all CB200 equipped. I expect a science project but I think run via serial bus would simplify matters dramatically.

There aren't any serial outputs from the CB200 that the Aura 8 could use so I think you are out of luck with that configuration.

Off the top of my head, your best bet would be to replace the CB200 with a regular receiver configured for Clone or Dual Path and a PPM Negative output to the Aura 8. You'll need to use the PC Config software to configure the Aura 8 for 4 Aileron, 2 Elevators and 1 Rudder. Since your servos will be connected to the Aura 8 you may want to make additional power connections.

At least that is the direction I would be going if I was installing an Aura 8 in that type of airplane.

Wayne
Nov 02, 2015, 05:19 PM
You could install a SlinkE converter which would take the EX Bus output from the CB200 and convert it to SBus for the Aura 8
Nov 04, 2015, 09:25 PM
Hi,
Yes, PPM seems very viable. The latest version of the config tool and Firmware 1.2 add tools in the Aura side to customize the transmitter inputs there (order, direction).

If there is an S.bus option working, that also should work very well. I looked up the SlinkE Converter and from what I see, seems pretty interesting for this application...

In Either of these Options, you will have up to 8 customize-able/unique gyro in the loop capable servo output ports. (and you can utilize many of the input channels seamlessly for mixes, controls, gains, trims, etc)

Look forward to seeing what the Jeti guys report on this.

David
Nov 06, 2015, 07:51 AM
Mine showed up yesterday.
I'll be using a Jeti DS16, R7 EX receiver, configured for PPM output.

Used New Model menu to create a model memory named Aura8;
Wing: 0 Flaps, 1 Aileron
Tail: 1 Horizontal, 1 Vertical
Engine: 1
Gyro 1: Yes

In Servo Assignment set channels;
1) Throttle
2) Aileron
3) Elevator
4) Rudder
5) FM (Aura 8 Flight mode control, created with Functions Assignment and assigned to a 3 position switch)
6)
7)
8)Gyro Sens (Aura 8 Master Gain)

In FIne Tuning, Gyro settings menu;
Low Range value: 0%
Tuning: P8
Range: 100%
This will allow the Master Gain on channel 8 to be adjusted using knob P8.

NOTE:
Jeti uses a wider pulse width range than most transmitters. Since the Aura 8 instructions recommend setting end points to +/-125% for JR, Spektrum and Futaba systems, setting end points to 100% on Jeti duplicates this amount of travel.

Use Device Explorer menu to select your receiver and set;
Serial Link: PPM Negative
General Settings:
Output period: 22ms
No of channels: 8
Mode: Direct

I connected the 2 battery cables from Castle Pro BEC to 2, R7 battery inputs, while R7's 3rd, battery connection is cabled over to a spare servo port on Aura 8. Connect the R7's Sat port (PPM link) to port B of Aura 8. All servos and ESC throttle control are connected to Aura 8.

Testing showed that with the Jeti transmitter, Elevator compensation from the gyro is reversed and if you pitch the air craft nose down, Aura 8 gives down elevator). After verifying that the gyro orientation was set properly in the Aura Config Tool, I needed to reverse the elevator channel in the transmitter and also reverse both elevator servos in the Aura Config Tool. All controls apply the correct compensation now.

The airplane was test flown today and this thing works FANTASTIC. There were 25MPH winds today and the airplane felt perfectly locked in yet the controls felt perfectly responsive without the slightest feel of the gyro fighting me. So far I really like it and I suspect that as I continue to fine tune things it will only get better.

Wayne
Last edited by wfield0455; Mar 23, 2016 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Updated information based on conversations with Flex.
Nov 10, 2015, 08:02 PM
Thread OP
Great help guys! Thanks. Starting some experimentation now.
Nov 22, 2015, 06:51 AM
Thanks wfield. Your post really helped me.
Nov 30, 2015, 07:47 PM
Team JetiUSA and TailDraggerRC
Couple of things:
Output needs to be set to PPM Negative
Output needs to be set to 8MS

Here is a quickie on my new SegevDesigns Articulate. I am running an R3, lots of tellemetry, and PPM to the Aura8. If anyone needs help or config files let me know.

Aura 8 quickie (2 min 31 sec)
Dec 01, 2015, 06:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowgto
Couple of things:

Here is a quickie on my new SegevDesigns Articulate. I am running an R3, lots of tellemetry, and PPM to the Aura8. If anyone needs help or config files let me know.

https://youtu.be/AOGzI5uCqr4
Same question / comment as on FG, shouldn't the output be set to PPM Negative, 8 channel PPM, output period = 20ms.
The calculation for output perion, taken directly from Jeti Cz is (2ms x number of channels) + 4ms for sync.

Wayne
Dec 01, 2015, 04:20 PM
[QUOTE=slowgto;33326563]Couple of things:

Questions:

1) In the stabilization "off" mode, does all the good stuff done in the transmitter like mixes, servo balancing etc., go straight through? In other words, is it just like it wasn't in the loop?

2) Does it have an S-Bus output?

3) How does it compare to the iGyro 3 and the Cortex performance wise?

Jim O
Dec 02, 2015, 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOddino

Questions:

1) In the stabilization "off" mode, does all the good stuff done in the transmitter like mixes, servo balancing etc., go straight through? In other words, is it just like it wasn't in the loop?

2) Does it have an S-Bus output?

3) How does it compare to the iGyro 3 and the Cortex performance wise?

Jim O
1) Basically, the simplest and probably the best way is to always do everything in the Aura. If you have dual Ailerons, setup your Jeti for 1 Aileron, 1 Elevator, 1 Rudder and then select your wing and tail type in the Aura.. If you still want to add mixes in the transmitter you can but generally, dual rates, servo setting, etc are best done in the Aura.

To be honest, once I had the stabilized flight modes setup, I haven't seen the need to ever fly it with stabilization off.

2) No, SBus output only SBus input..

3) Not tried the iGyro, have used the Cortext a lot. I like the Aura MUCH better than the Cortex. That statements is based on how completely non intrusive it is.. My Cortex setups always did a great job of stabilizing the airplane and were very easy to setup, probably more so than the Aura. Still no matter what I did with the PC interface, I ALWAYS felt like the Cortex was fighting me during extreme maneuvers. In contract, the Aura stabilizes the aircraft beautifully but when you nail the controls, you can't even tell it's there, other than all bad tendencies of the aircraft are gone.

The Aura 8 is a vast improvement over anything I've tried so far but I haven't flown the iGyro..

Wayne
Last edited by wfield0455; Dec 02, 2015 at 08:59 AM.
Dec 03, 2015, 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfield0455
1) Basically, the simplest and probably the best way is to always do everything in the Aura. If you have dual Ailerons, setup your Jeti for 1 Aileron, 1 Elevator, 1 Rudder and then select your wing and tail type in the Aura.. If you still want to add mixes in the transmitter you can but generally, dual rates, servo setting, etc are best done in the Aura.

To be honest, once I had the stabilized flight modes setup, I haven't seen the need to ever fly it with stabilization off.

2) No, SBus output only SBus input..

3) Not tried the iGyro, have used the Cortext a lot. I like the Aura MUCH better than the Cortex. That statements is based on how completely non intrusive it is.. My Cortex setups always did a great job of stabilizing the airplane and were very easy to setup, probably more so than the Aura. Still no matter what I did with the PC interface, I ALWAYS felt like the Cortex was fighting me during extreme maneuvers. In contract, the Aura stabilizes the aircraft beautifully but when you nail the controls, you can't even tell it's there, other than all bad tendencies of the aircraft are gone.

The Aura 8 is a vast improvement over anything I've tried so far but I haven't flown the iGyro..

Wayne
Thanks for the rundown. Surprised that you like the Aura much better than the Cortex. The Cortex does make one use the rudder just to make a decent banked turn but other than that it is pretty good. I just started flying the iGyro and it is looking good also. Too soon to say how it stacks up against the Cortex. Now I'll have to try the Aura too.

Wish Jeti would get their Assist finished, especially with a serial bus output with adjustments on all axes.
Jim O
Dec 04, 2015, 07:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOddino
Thanks for the rundown. Surprised that you like the Aura much better than the Cortex. The Cortex does make one use the rudder just to make a decent banked turn but other than that it is pretty good. I just started flying the iGyro and it is looking good also. Too soon to say how it stacks up against the Cortex. Now I'll have to try the Aura too.

Wish Jeti would get their Assist finished, especially with a serial bus output with adjustments on all axes.
Jim O
Don't get me wrong, I still like the Cortex and for ease of setup in a jet or something like that it's hard to beat. Still, for violent 3D type maneuvers that require full stick deflection with +/-45 degree throws, I could never get it to feel like it wasn't fighting me no matter how it was setup with the PC. It just always feels like, at least initially that I don't have much control surface throw and the plane feels REALLY sluggish through these maneuvers..

The Aura 8 on the other hand, while not nearly as easy to drop into an existing aircraft, cost $99, stabilizes the plane at least as well as the Cortex, isn't affected buy vibration nearly as much as the Cortex (I've got one in a DLE120 powered Extra) and is incredibly responsive.. This is something that the helicopter flybarless units always did well. When flying straight and level, the helicopter always felt incredibly locked but corner the sticks and it will jump out of it's skin like there is no stabilization at all. The Aura 8 make a good aerobatics plane fly like a flybarless helicopter with a REALLY good flybarless unit.. I was never able to come remotely close to that feel with the Cortex and I spent a lot of time trying...

Wayne

Quick Reply