Oct 31, 2015, 11:19 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Electric Hollow-Body or Solid-Body

I know, I know everyone should have both, but……

I really like the sound of big hollow-bodies and they can rock with the best of them.
Last edited by Buran; Oct 31, 2015 at 01:22 PM.
Oct 31, 2015, 11:20 AM
It's gonna be YUGE!!!
I've been told more than once that I have a hollow head..... does that count for anything?
Oct 31, 2015, 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buran

I really like the sound of big hollow-bodies and they can rock with the best of them.
Same here. Big hollow bodies are more conducive to the sounds I prefer a guitar to be making. I also don't care for the metallic sounding notes on the 1-3 strings, so prefer the classical guitar to mellow the sounds out (think Willie Nelson's guitar).

D'ddario Light Tension EJ43 strings also produce the more mellower and deeper, richer sounds that I prefer.
Oct 31, 2015, 12:54 PM
GTH NFL
Hollow points have their uses, but for general purpose use solid FMJs are the way to go.
Oct 31, 2015, 02:42 PM
Really?
Lots of voodoo to what kind of ax works for you. It's all valid.
Oct 31, 2015, 02:54 PM
The whole point that Gibson was making with his solid body was to remove any natural resonance from the hollow body with his electric guitar!

Now it's a question of personal likes but if you want purity of sound - solids have that and sustain too!
Oct 31, 2015, 03:01 PM
Quote:

Now you've got me confused. Did you change the thread title to reflect electrics only?
Oct 31, 2015, 03:04 PM
Libertas in Infinitum
one good thing that I like about hollow bodies, is that unplugged they can sound pretty close to an acoustic ... so to me, it's pleasant to practice with a hollow body unplugged.
Oct 31, 2015, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5
one good thing that I like about hollow bodies, is that unplugged they can sound pretty close to an acoustic ... so to me, it's pleasant to practice with a hollow body unplugged.
I have an Ovation for that - it's horrid really though - worst of both worlds
Oct 31, 2015, 03:11 PM
Libertas in Infinitum
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENGINETORQUE
I have an Ovation for that - it's horrid really though - worst of both worlds
your mistake was getting an Ovation.
Oct 31, 2015, 03:12 PM
Sloping off....
Quote:

You talking Brian Setzer or BB King?

I've never played a semi-acoustic hollow body electric, but have always fancied a Gibson 335.
Oct 31, 2015, 03:18 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer
You talking Brian Setzer or BB King?

I've never played a semi-acoustic hollow body electric, but have always fancied a Gibson 335.
335’s are nice, I got my son one.

I think many equate hollow-bodies with R&B and the like. I remember when Ted Nugent first left the Amboy Dukes and went solo. I must have seen him opening for others 6 times over the course of a year. Nugent had mad skills and was sporting a big Gibson Hollow-body and it was magnificent.
Oct 31, 2015, 03:19 PM
Figure Nine Champ
Carvin AC275. Carbon reinforced neck, 24 frets

Oct 31, 2015, 03:22 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci_guy
Carvin AC275. Carbon reinforced neck, 24 frets

I think I would consider this chambered.
Oct 31, 2015, 03:24 PM
Figure Nine Champ
That would make it hollow, then.

Quick Reply