Oct 31, 2015, 03:19 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

Super Sonic Transport (1964) for YOBBO

Talk of the YOBBO inspired a search of OZ using the year 1964 which revealed 87 designs. Several of these sparked some interest as potential candidates including Stu Babcock’s DQA 704, Ken Willard’s Double Feature, Owen Kampen’s O.K. 2.02, and John Marquett’s Wasp. Another design that appeared was the Super Sonic Transport (SST) by Competition Models.

This surprised me a bit, as I was the one who sent the scan of the SST to OZ after seeing a request on OZ’s “wanted” list back in 2014, and I had never noticed a date on the plan before. A closer look did indeed reveal the date as 29/12/1964.

The SST as its name would suggest is a delta wing canard design with a layout similar to the Boeing SST or the Concorde. The SST was kitted by Competition Models in the mid 1960’s and has the following specifications:

Span: 35.25"
Length: 44.5"
Motor: .020 -.049 FF .049 - .099 RC

It is all sheet construction and is designed for Free Flight or a single channel R/C setup with the motor (tractor) mounted half way up the fin. The plans show the rudder driven by a rubber escapement and the quick blip throttle driven by a second rubber escapement through a rather torturous arrangement of torque rods, bell cranks and pushrods. The motor shown is a Cox 049 medallion with the combined intake/exhaust baffle throttle.

Competition Models appears to have kitted mainly FF designs including the “Starduster” series as well as another canard design, the B-70 Valkyrie. The B-70 was designed by Bob Linn and was originally published in Aeromodeller in April 1961.

My intention is to build this model for electric power using rudder and throttle control, but I may make the canard moveable to provide pitch trim.

As those who know me can attest, progress is likely to be slow, so don’t expect much construction in the near future – although I will endeavour to finish by March 2016.
Last edited by ozrs; Oct 31, 2015 at 03:27 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 31, 2015, 03:20 AM
Thread OP
One of the first tasks will be to clear the workbench - actually its not too bad - has been a lot worst!
Oct 31, 2015, 04:51 AM
Thread OP
I usually use the Hobby King NTM 2826 brushless motor for .049 to .09 size planes.

The NTM 2826 motor is about the same weight as Cox 049 and can be propped to get the desired performance whilst not being pushed at all hard - usually a 7x4 to 8x4 is about right (depending on the kv).

However for the SST, the prop diameter is limited to 6". A recommended weight is not given on the plans, but the SST is a reasonable size, and could, I guess, potentially weigh up to 24 oz (1.5 lb). Thus I would like to have up to 150 watts available.

The NTM 2826 is available in several winds, the hottest having a kv of 1350. However on a Graupner grey 6x4 this NTM only draws around 6 Amps (65 watts). So I ordered a couple more motors with higher kv's which arrived last week.

I decided to test the motors out this afternoon (to avoid the chore of clearing the building board). Here are the results:

Graupner grey 6x4 on 3S Lipo. (Weights include the radial mount and prop adapter).

Turnigy 2725 (1600kv) 46.3 g - 8.0 A (90 watts) - 14100 rpm
Turnigy L2210A (1650kv) 59.4 g - 12.2 A (135 watts) - 16400 rpm
Funfighter 2825 (1950kv) 62.4 g - 11.8 A (130 watts) - 16300 rpm

It looks like the L2210A is the winner - I think a 6x3 will be about right, but can play with props in the 5x3 to 6x6 range to get the desired performance.
Last edited by ozrs; Oct 31, 2015 at 05:12 AM.
Oct 31, 2015, 06:29 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
I'll be following! And your bench looks much more orderly than mine, even after I've had a tidy up!!!
Oct 31, 2015, 07:03 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
This'll be interesting!
Oct 31, 2015, 09:25 AM
I'd rather be flying.....
I wanted to build one of these forever so great to see you are doing it for me

I'll be watching this one.....

best regards,

jeff
Oct 31, 2015, 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozrs View Post
One of the first tasks will be to clear the workbench - actually its not too bad - has been a lot worst!
I love a sticky beak at other peoples benches.

A row of OK Super 60's , a Powerhpouse tail, and is that a Micron sitting in front of the Quad?
Looks like there is someone else with a weakness for engines!
Nov 01, 2015, 01:40 AM
Thread OP
Hi Warren

Yes - Super 60's ready to be assembled, plan is to set up one for "38 Antique" and one for "Texaco" (venturi sleeved down a bit), both for a Power House (tail on bench).

Good spot - the motor is a Micron 0.8cc (I posted pics on the Model Diesel Engines thread in post #9620). Broken English advised it should have a metal tank, and I managed to find an electrolytic capacitor with a aluminium case the right diameter.

Its a hex rather than a quad, so 3 out of 4.
Nov 01, 2015, 02:55 AM
You can tell where my interests lie!
Quad/hex all the same to me.
But a Micron... I have a little 0.9 red head Micron which looks to use the same lower case as yours.
Planning to build a Pinocchio II one day for it, but strictly speaking it should have your Micron in it, not my slightly later one.

I also have a Super 60 which seems to run well on the bench.
I've a Powerhouse too.
Feb 28, 2016, 02:04 AM
Thread OP
Time to get cracking!

OK Super 60's assembled, and bench cleaned
Feb 28, 2016, 02:09 AM
Thread OP
OK, fin pieces glued together and rough sanded, only change from plan is that I had to make up and fit a 'box' out of 1/64th ply (skinned in 1/32 balsa) to run the 3 motor cables through.
Feb 28, 2016, 03:29 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Should be OK oz, you've got a whole month!
Feb 29, 2016, 04:18 AM
Thread OP
Each fuselage side comes as two pieces which need to be joined and reinforced with 1/8 balsa.
Feb 29, 2016, 02:22 PM
Intermediate Multi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozrs View Post
Time to get cracking!

OK Super 60's assembled, and bench cleaned
May I ask what the mechanism in the middle picture is? Is that a fuel shut off?
Mar 01, 2016, 01:52 AM
Thread OP
Its an old "Atlantic R/C" Mixture Valve.

I was using it as a fuel shut-off when the Powerhouse had an open rocker OS60 FS glow (not needed with the sparky since that has an ignition cut-off).

Quick Reply