Oct 30, 2015, 07:19 PM
Thread OP
Question

Did COX / Sanwa really make this kit? Anyone know of the model?

Hi,

I was browsing ebay and came across this very interesting old wooden boat link.

The description says it is a vintage Cox / Sanwa Wood RC Model Boat.

Did Cox / Sanwa actually produce a wood boat kit back in the day OR do you think the description is simply in reference to the brand of gas engine and radio components used?

If not a kit produced by COX, does anyone whom may have produced the kit?

Regards,
Michael

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HUGE-38-Vint...EAAOSw9mFWM6iI
to remove ads between posts
Oct 30, 2015, 08:33 PM
The only Cox/Sanwa boat, that I remember, was the Tradewinds, sail boat. I grew up, about 5 miles from the factory. Which was great, for getting replacement parts.
Oct 30, 2015, 09:15 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Strikes me as an old Dumas Deep Vee 40/60.
Oct 30, 2015, 10:06 PM
Nickel Belter
Price is fair, but really more of a floating lemon than a 'restoration' project.
Oct 31, 2015, 12:55 AM
Thread OP
The search continues for the manufacturer.

Does not appear to be by Dumas, as the Dumas Deep V models did not feature the various front and rear nacelle scoops, as shown in the images.

If it's a rare model than may be worth picking it up as the refurbishment may only be a careful re-sanding, repair of any dings, and re-paint.

Regards,
Michael
Oct 31, 2015, 02:07 AM
Nickel Belter
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownRobin
The search continues for the manufacturer.

Does not appear to be by Dumas, as the Dumas Deep V models did not feature the various front and rear nacelle scoops, as shown in the images.

If it's a rare model than may be worth picking it up as the refurbishment may only be a careful re-sanding, repair of any dings, and re-paint.

Regards,
Michael
The driveline is a dinosaur, it has no vintage guts (the most valuable part, IF they are the right kind) and it requires a total re-finishing.

It has the same hatches as the Deep Vee, same motormount... the scoops could've been extras carved from wood. The driver and cockpit area seem to have been added as well.
Oct 31, 2015, 02:59 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ56

It has the same hatches as the Deep Vee, same motormount... the scoops could've been extras carved from wood. The driver and cockpit area seem to have been added as well.
That is what I was seeing also.
Oct 31, 2015, 09:57 AM
The boat to me sure looks to be a wooden Dumas model DEEP VEE 60 using the original Dumas running hardware. The top or hatch of the model looks as if the modeler who built the model might have made the scoops himself out of shaped block of balsa wood, not unlike Dumas would have supplied in the kits. Back in time of this kit, CIGARETTE DEEP VEE’s were the hot off shore power boats and it look like the modeler was trying to make a look-a-like model.

COX/ SANWA back in the day were noted for their radio systems and never did too much in the way of model boats, un like what they did with the COX cars and planes, both TETHER and control line, and later with the RADIO CONTROLED PACKAGE D deals. A lot of the power versions of the models were powered with, you guessed it, COX nitro motors.
Last edited by frankg; Oct 31, 2015 at 11:28 AM.
Oct 31, 2015, 10:18 AM
I would have to agree with Umi, it most likely is a Dumas. But, they were not the only ones that made wood, Deep Vee's. Running gear appears to be Octura Racing. Judging by the boat and running gear, late '70's to early '80's. Replacement running gear parts, might be an issue. As most of the running hardware from back then, is no longer made.
Oct 31, 2015, 11:32 AM
CaptCB- If the universal joints on the model are OCTRUA, they are still available. The underwater strut looks just like the strut Dumas used in their running hardware package.
Oct 31, 2015, 12:27 PM
Good to know, BUT, I already got rid of the 3, new, fiberglass Deep Vee's, that I had. It seemed impossible, to find the correct running gear. With Prather gone, and everyone else, scaled way back, basically just making parts for their current line of production. I didn't think it was worth it, and for me, it would of just been for occasional use anyway.
Oct 31, 2015, 12:50 PM
I don't think Octura has stopped making any of their castings. Ever!

Andy
Oct 31, 2015, 05:36 PM
Thread OP
Thank you everyone for the feedback and insight. Am always amazed at how hobby enthusiasts can identify various manufacturers of things and components from an old vintage wooden boat picture like this. Really appreciate that.

So, I guess my next question is.... does Dumas still make the Deep Vee 60?

If not, is the original wooden Dumas Deep Vee 60 model (New in Box) easy to come by in Classified sections such as this site or on ebay? Or, are they pretty rare these days?

Regards,
Michael
Last edited by BrownRobin; Oct 31, 2015 at 05:41 PM.
Oct 31, 2015, 06:50 PM
MICHAEL- The only wooden Deep Vees made by Dumas now are small 18 long models. The Deep Vee 20s, 40s and 60s were discontinued over 25 years ago or more, and very rarely come up on Ebay either built or as a kit. Dumas took the wooden Deep Vee kits and went to fiberglass model kits, but then stopped making the fiberglass versions over 15 years ago.

I do not think the model will bring much on the market in the condition that it is in and I would say fix it up and have some fun with it or put aside or trash it. I am not being harsh, I am just telling it like it is.

Oct 31, 2015, 07:30 PM
RC boat Rock Star
The only boat that I personally know about was a free-running .049 powered boat as I had one in my teen years. You set the rudder angle and let it go.
No, it's not a Cox/Sanwa. Some people will throw anything in an ad to get attention. Sanwa we in the states know better as Airtronics as far as radio systems go.

Quick Reply