This thread is privately moderated by DismayingObservation, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 30, 2015, 05:35 PM
Pronoun trouble...
Thread OP
Discussion

We're live, baby!

I can't adequately express how happy I am at how well these reviews turned out:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2326205

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2521685

Next on the schedule are an FPV unit for legions of JJRC Tarantula X6 quadcopter fans and the decidedly different HobbyKing Super-G autogyro.

The latter is something I have never flown, but I hope to give it a whirl - literally - on Sunday.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 30, 2015, 06:33 PM
Waste Nothing
D :

About the autogyro , make sure that the angle on the rotor mast is correct . Also watch the servo throws for the first couple of flights anyway . Not too aggressive for awhile as blades tend to bust . Gotta love the cavitation sound of the blades though . I love the gyros .
Oct 30, 2015, 07:49 PM
Pronoun trouble...
Thread OP
Thanks, Rick. I only need all the help I can get on this critter. A couple of guys on the authors' forum who have experience say the same things.

I spent the time today setting that fulcrum so that the head is at exactly seven degrees to the left. HobbyKing supplies a marvelous laser cut and laser engraved wooden alignment jig.

There are no suggestions for the main rotor "aileron" throw, but there isn't a lot of throw with the arms in their stock locations. Definitely going to do the tail surfaces on the low side and add lots of expo to everything.

Of all of the videos I've seen, the model looks like a blast to fly and not too much different than an airplane. Rudder is a must, as you know. I'll be linking to a YouTube video of a guy in Australia who flew it like a pro on the maiden flight and loved it. His looks box stock other than the decision to leave the wheel pants off because of the rough field. There's some vibration in the propeller and his example sounds like mine does. I might go to an APC 10x7E before I fly it. It's a standard rotation propeller facing forward at the rear.

Here it is:

Hobby King Super G Autogyro Maiden (5 min 54 sec)
Last edited by DismayingObservation; Oct 30, 2015 at 07:54 PM.
Oct 30, 2015, 10:22 PM
AA6JB
If you haven't already Ralph, balance the blades. And be aware that in-flight orientation can be a little tricky. Good luck on your maiden!
Latest blog entry: Updated FMS 1400mm J3 Cub
Oct 30, 2015, 11:05 PM
Pronoun trouble...
Thread OP
Thanks, Jon.

The blades are plastic coated foam with plastic LE reinforcements. The guys in the above video didn't balance theirs which is visible in the video as it spools up, but I'll check once more with my friend the sponsored heli pilot. I have to swing by the hobby shop anyway and he has the tools.

There's a fellow here on RCG who actually had a hand in its development and who posted on the comment thread. I sent him a PM regarding the balance and he said they simply flew the prototypes with no real prep other than the angle of the main rotor head.

Oddly enough, it's the stock prop which seems to be imbalanced. The rotor doesn't seem to have a heavy spot with all three blades in place.

Hoping that the fact it looks more or less like an airplane will aid in the orientation.

I'll keep y'all posted.

Quick Reply