http://www.theworldmodels.com/para/products/search.php

Plane Name : Piper J-3 Cub-EP
Code No. E139
Wing Span : 48.5 in / 1230 mm
Wing Area : 330 sq in / 21.3 sq dm
Flying Weight : 1.5 lbs / 700 g
Fuselage Length : 30.0 in / 760 mm
Engine Required :

Radio Required : 4 channel radio w/ 4 micro servos,15A speed controller, 7 ~ 8 cells,1000 mAh battery & charger

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Okay, enough of the advertisement ad...it comes with a 7.2Volt Speed 400 (Mabuchi 380) and a gearbox with 2.5:1 ratio. Comes with a spinner with an integrated eye holes for a foldable prop. which my buddy Gerry (a.k.a., SIMANO) will not use.

It has a battery hatch at the bottom, very nice clear plastic and molded wind screen and side windows and the neatest landing gear, wheels and tail wheel all molded with the same plastic yellow color of the Piper! Oh, yes, the tail wheel is fully stearable! Oh, don't forget, this model has Ailerons and no dihedral! It comes with dual wing struts as one assembly and one attachment to FUSE. The struts are fully covered and the attachments are ALU. with eye hole!

I held the model in my hands and it is super light with very light and good balsa quality (Much better than some WATTAGE models in this category) and the covering is first rate!

Here's some pic's!
Last edited by guapoman2000; Jul 17, 2004 at 05:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 17, 2004, 05:22 PM
Account closed
Thread OP
I am very impressed with the ARF from WORLD MODELS, the cowling instead of vacum formed plastic, it is Fiberglass molded cowling! The paint job is perfect!

All for $99.US !
Jul 17, 2004, 05:26 PM
Account closed
Thread OP
Here's my sky brother and his fantastic WORLD MODELS J3 Piper Cub!

I hope he gets it finished soon! We are are waiting to see how well she flys!

Gerry will fly her with Thunder power 2100mAH, 3S1P, Lii-POLYs to keep her even lighter!

Carlos
Jul 17, 2004, 07:15 PM
Hooked On Flying!!!
Carlos,
I also picked up this kit about a week ago and have done allot of modifications to it to accomadate a MP25/35 MK2 as well as installing a servo tray inside the cockpit and I ran carbon fiber tubes with .47 music wire out holes I drilled into the tail section. Did not like having the servos mounted at the rear and on the outside of the plane. It gives it a much cleaner look. I will be considerably lighter up front with the motor/gearbox I'm using so did not want all this weight on the tail. Have a few more minor mods to go and she will be complete. Its looking pretty nice and has a huge wingspan and pretty scale look. I'm still waiting for the motor/gearbox combo to become available as I upgrade my Alfa Corsair to a MP Red outrunner and move the 25/35 MK2 to this plane. The wing loading and Statc thrust #'s look good and she should float pretty well for a big model. The only knock I have so far is that it is relatively easy to break and was built with very light balsa. Will post when finished with the plane.
HAPPY FLYING!!!
Last edited by tahoecrest; Jul 17, 2004 at 07:34 PM.
Jul 17, 2004, 07:28 PM
know it all
Carlos, how much does it all weigh?, wing area etc?.. without the batteries but including lg and all the bits..

no dihedral will make it very aerobatic.. I prefer a bit of dihedral..

Herm
Jul 17, 2004, 07:38 PM
Hooked On Flying!!!
Mine with the mods AUW should be about 24oz. That is using a TP2100 3s pack which weighs 4.7oz. Thier is no dihideral but a very large wing surface and what look to be efficient sized ailerons as well. If built to stock specs and using a Nimh 8 cell it would have an AUW of about 25.7oz. The wing loading according to my calc program comes in at 10.8 oz per sq ft. and using a 9x6 prop i should get about 17+ oz of thrust. With 80% throttle I should get 20 minutes or more of air time. At WOT it should pull about 11 amps which can easily be handled by the TP G2 packs.
HAPPY FLYING!!!
Last edited by tahoecrest; Jul 17, 2004 at 07:42 PM.
Jul 17, 2004, 09:21 PM
some what irregular
where did you get it?
Jul 17, 2004, 11:47 PM
Hooked On Flying!!!
The company that distributes for World Models is based in livermore, CA. which is about a 3 hour drive from here and 2 days UPS. Here is the link to the page that I oredered mine from.http://www.ecsvr.com/abm/shopexd.asp?id=1110
HAPPY FLYING!!!
Jul 18, 2004, 12:29 AM
Damn! That looks so good! Probably goin to be a plane I want in the next few months. Except I would change the wheels and go for bigger ones. Not really good looking small.

None the less, awesome!

Speed
Jul 18, 2004, 04:33 AM
Account closed
Thread OP
Guys...

Thanks for all of your replies!

Tahoecrest,

Yes, I agree about the servo locations and I have recommended to Gerry to install them inside and not outisde like the instructions. The model is going to be light enough and with so much wing area that I feel a Speed 400 will take her up with no problem.

The fact that the model is built light with light balsa does not necessarily mean that it will break easily since it all depends on the design, brace lattice built up. I have plans drawings of a Rubber Powered 54 inch wing span, 33 inch FUSE length "TAYLORCRAFT" by Comet Model Hobbycraft Corp., Chicago, IL. If you take a close look at the way they design and lay out the FUSE and wings of this model you will see that the FUSE is extremly strong and can withstand the compression of a large rubber bang and associated pressure of unloading of it during flight. Recall that these model are free flight and they withstand controlled landings but they are unassisted. This is my point of using high grade balsa (close to competition balsa) on those ARF's that WATTAGE, GREAT PLANES and others are professing to have and in fact those models have been built with the heaviest (yet strong no doubt) balsa woods because it's cheaper and easier to work with.

Here's a model that finally almost comes close to light yet strong balsa on a ARF and I feel that people will finally realize what I have been trying to point out all along with the other ARF's.

I have mentioned to Gerry about installing a brushless but, he perfers the Speed 400 that came with it for now.

Thanks again for all of your replys and tips!
Carlos
Last edited by guapoman2000; Jul 18, 2004 at 04:46 AM.
Jul 18, 2004, 05:08 AM
Account closed
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoecrest
The company that distributes for World Models is based in livermore, CA. which is about a 3 hour drive from here and 2 days UPS. Here is the link to the page that I oredered mine from.http://www.ecsvr.com/abm/shopexd.asp?id=1110
HAPPY FLYING!!!
Okay, the company name is Airborne Models in Livermore, CA. and they have yet another website...

http://www.airborne-models.com
Jul 18, 2004, 05:19 AM
Account closed
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermperez
Carlos, how much does it all weigh?, wing area etc?.. without the batteries but including lg and all the bits..

no dihedral will make it very aerobatic.. I prefer a bit of dihedral..

Herm
The instructions say 1.5 lbs. or 24 oz. and this is assuming you use the recommended battery pack of....

7 ~ 8 cells,1000 mAh battery

which are round heavy cells and most of us are planning to use Li-POLYs which makes the model even lighter. Yes, the lighter it is the better for aerobatic using the stock Speed 400 and better with a mild (Kv) brushless. The fact that you prefer a bit of dihedral would be assuming that the model perhaps didn't have any ailerons but, it does.

Okay...here's the spec's again:
Wing Span : 48.5 in / 1230 mm
Wing Area : 330 sq in / 21.3 sq dm
Flying Weight : 1.5 lbs / 700 g

There are several flyers here that built the HOBBY-LOBBY mini-Telemaster and one didn't put any dihedral and it turned just fine with just rudder and elevator. Later he added ailerons by building another wing assembly and it turned somewhat better but, not significantly, it all depends on wing design, model type and perhaps weight (wing loading) and speed.

Carlos
Last edited by guapoman2000; Jul 18, 2004 at 05:36 AM.
Jul 18, 2004, 05:12 PM
Account closed
Thread OP
Final Setup:
MEGA 16/15/7
CC PHX-25 Brushless ESC
APC "E" 8 X 6 Prop.
Thunder Power 2100 (3S1P) Li-POLYs
Total Flight Weight: TBD

I could not beleive how well this little model performed in windy/gusty conditions that we had today!

Also, Gerry's grin became a BIG SMILE after five or so flights on one charge and he still had a little over 10 Volts (measured) on those Li-POLYs!

Here's some maiden pictures of today's adventures at the field!

SUMARRY:
Notice in one of the pictures you will notice a wing strut attachment that is not secured. Well, during it's first flight take off from the ground (I was not there to witness) Gerry didn't know that his rudder servo had a missing tooth and the servo jumps or skips a tooth or two and this caused over controlling and the model turned unexpectly and at full power (MEGA Powered) it flipped on it's wing and tumbled Wing tip to Wing tip

The only damage is a cracked rear FUSE stringer on top of the FUSE and the left hand bulk head former near the leading edge of where the wing attaches. According to Gerry the tumble was several cycles and hard so, he have proven that this is indeed a tuff and rugged model even though it is light weight.

He subsequently flew this model with the loose strunt wing attachment since Gerry told me that it's just for looks and the model has a very robust wing brace/joiner that is very strong.

He made all turns using the ailerons and didn't use rudder so, he hand launched the model for the next five flights.
Jul 18, 2004, 05:18 PM
Account closed
Thread OP
Here's the battery compartment and the Thunder Power 2100mAH 3S1P Li-POLYs! After the second flight Gerry came to me and ask me to touch the battery pack and it was COLD This MEGA 16/15/7 and the APC "E" 8 X 6 is a very good combination. Again, he had 5 flights of an average of 10 minutes each!
Jul 18, 2004, 05:21 PM
Account closed
Thread OP
More ACTION shots!
Last edited by guapoman2000; Jul 18, 2004 at 05:27 PM.

Quick Reply