Oct 29, 2015, 02:50 PM

Step 46: Finishing Snoopy

I used green paint for the helmet that attacked the foam. Get a can of Michael’s Design Master Paint in the desired green color. I used water based acrylic paint for the brown goggles and black fur spot. I cut the goggle lens from black vinyl.

My two Snoopys are different but both look like Snoopy. The eye is very forgiving.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 29, 2015, 02:54 PM

Step 47: Roof and Snoopy Mounting

The first thing to address is the wiring to Snoopy’s head servo. The run is from the receiver Aux 1 channel to Snoopy’s butt.

First locate Snoopy on the roof. On mine Snoopy’s butt is 7 inches from the rear peak of the roof. If I did it again I would make this 8 inches. From this measurement you can locate where the hole needs to be for the servo wire. Now set the roof on the house and align to your marks. You will need to cut a quarter inch square hole for the top CF arm of the quad. Measure the distance from the Snoopy servo hole to the top quad frame arm and from the roof down the top frame arm to the receiver. Use these measurements to extend Snoopy’s servo wire.

Mount the roof on the house using Gorilla Glue. Wet the roof area where contact will be made and apply glue to the top of the upper stabilizer and the top of the sides. Mount the roof and pin in position. Monitor the expansion of the glue and wipe away any excess.

Cut some 1/8 inch ply gussets to tie the CF upper quad arm to the roof leading edges and the carbon roof stiffeners.

Spray the outside of the Doghouse so all is red.

Mount Snoopy to the roof using Gorilla Glue. Rough up the roof where Snoopy will attach. Wet the area and apply glue to Snoopy’s bottom. Pass the servo wire through the roof hole and tape Snoopy in-place.

Run the servo wire to the receiver and zip tie it to the quad frame and spot glue with CA to the roof.
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Nov 02, 2015 at 09:25 AM.
Oct 29, 2015, 02:56 PM

Step 48: Battery and Balance

There are two CG locations that you need to be concerned with. The first is the balance in the vertical mode of flight with Snoopy facing the sky. The balance must be in the center of the Center Square. I tried some off center balance points and they are not helpful. Keep it in the center. Use your battery locations to get the balance in the center. Try to keep your batteries as far forward as possible. Since these pictures, I have moved the batteries to the outside, up under the roof overhang but attached to the side.

The second concern is the horizontal flight CG. This should be 8 inches when measured back from the roof’s leading edge at the roof’s bottom edge. If you need to add weight, imbed lead in the roof. Add the same amount to both the left and right roof panels behind the leading edge dowel at the same level as the quads horizontal arms. This will keep the vertical mode balance the same. I added 4 ounces.

The ballast requirement has been significantly reduced by the new battery and servo locations. Note photos of new locations with painted Doghouse.
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Oct 18, 2016 at 10:56 AM.
Oct 29, 2015, 03:12 PM

Step 49: KK Programing/Setup

Download the Steveis Manual from Post #1 of the rcgroups.com thread “THE NEW KK2.1 & KK2.1.5 FC Owners Thread”. Please consider donating to the MS charity for Steveis’s long hours of work at merlinmscentre.org.uk.

Read the manual.

Print the Word file attached and follow the steps to setup the board. If you have questions, ask them on the KK Thread. There are many knowledgeable people ready to help, including me.

Once this procedure is complete, return to Step 34. Remember to mount the board on the quad frame with the buttons to the top of the frame.
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Oct 27, 2016 at 08:38 PM.
Oct 29, 2015, 03:15 PM

Step 50: Doghouse Setup for Flight

You are almost done. Your Doghouse is painted and Snoopy sits on top the roof. You still have no propellers.

The CG balance both vertically and horizontally is correct.

If you will be flying the Doghouse as a plane, on your transmitter reverse the aileron channel. This will make the Rudder in the Receiver Test move backwards. It will also change the Arming procedure. Full Left Aileron will arm and Full Right Aileron will disarm.

If you use the ZTW Spider ESCs, no calibration is required but insure that after arming and with a little throttle all the motors spin up at the same time.

Plug in a battery and arm the Doghouse. Slightly move the throttle stick and confirm all motors spin and in the correct directions. Check to see that all flying surfaces are at zero deflection. If not, adjust the respective clevis at the control horn.

Check that all the flying surfaces move in the correct directions when you move the sticks. If not, you need to change the sign on that one value in the mixing editor. This shouldn’t happen unless you are using different servos or different linkages.

Now check that the Controller is stabilizing. Hold the Doghouse and rotate it around all 3 axes. In pitch, the elevators should move to correct against the rotation in both directions. In yaw, the rudders should move to correct against the direction of rotation. In roll, all four surfaces will correct against rotation.

Unplug the battery.

Balance your four propellers and mount them on the motors. Make sure you have the cambered side of the prop facing forward and the pusher props (EP) on the top and bottom motors.

Make sure everything is clear and Arm the Doghouse. Lightly run up the motors and confirm they are all blowing the correct way; to the rear. Unplug the battery.

On your transmitter you may want to use your throttle curve, if you have one. My Doghouse lifts off at 60 percent thrust so I set this as my center. I set my 25% stick to 45 and my 75% stick to 75. This makes hover a little easier.

Don’t forget to check Snoopy, if you have his head animated. On my transmitter I mapped my Aux channel to my three position flight mode switch. Use the servo sub trim to center his head and limit his motion to 30 degrees both ways. Moving his head will cause some slight roll action which the controller counteracts in flight and stops after about 10 degrees of roll. It creates the effect that Snoopy is rolling the Doghouse to get a better look down at the ground.

You are ready to fly. Charge your batteries.
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Nov 02, 2015 at 09:31 AM.
Oct 29, 2015, 03:17 PM

Step 51: Hovering and then Flying

I have about 80 Doghouse flights to date. I find that the House rugged, is relatively easy to hover and fly. Remember, you are always flying in aerobatic mode and have no self level. Self level will not work with an aerodynamic structure on a quad frame unless you are always in a no wind situation.

Range check your receiver.

Have a friend hold the House and confirm that it lifts off at around 60 percent throttle and at 50% stick position if using the throttle curve. Have your friend hold it off the ground and at this throttle setting confirm it reacts to the controls properly around all 3 axis.

Find a nice soft grassy area with some space. Still air, no wind, is best to start. Set the house on the ground in the rocked forward position. If you are by yourself, I find that it is best to swallow hard and pop it off the ground to around 5 feet or a better first approach is to have somebody hold and release at hover throttle and eye level. Trying to ease it off the ground does not work due to ground thrust reflection issues. If everything is setup properly (please double and triple check this) the House will stay in the attitude it is pointed. Wind will cause you to make minor corrections. Let the controller do most of the work.

Get 4-5 hover only flights first before moving to horizontal flight. Get comfortable moving left/right, forward/back, up/down and rotating.
Rotating to forward flight is easy. I slightly increase the throttle and pitch the House forward. After about 3-5 seconds I come off the throttle to about 30% which should be a good cruise setting. Fly the house at about 10-15 degrees nose up and control altitude with throttle. Turns are executed with the rudders and some minor leveling using the ailerons. Keep your speed up in the turns or it will want to fall into a hover attitude. If you have it setup as a Quad, the controlling sticks will be different. Fly it as a Quad on its side. Gradually increase your horizontal flight time with each flight. For the first session do a couple circles and then think about landing.

Transitioning to hover is not that hard but takes some throttle coordination. I slowly approach the landing area and at about 50 feet out and 15 feet high begin rotating backwards into the hover attitude.

Initially you will have some forward speed that aerodynamically will keep the House aloft. As it gets to the hover attitude bring the throttle to hover throttle. Initially, I always climbed about 25 to 50 feet which just makes it longer to get down. Now that you are in hover, hover down to landing. As you get to 5-7 feet, the House will need a little more power. Gently set it down. It took me about 20 times to get good consistent landings.

In winds, you will want a spotter/catcher to keep the house from turning over on takeoff and touchdown. Above 15 mph winds, the hover will have the house at 45 degrees nose up attitude. Hover at 3-4 feet altitude and have your spotter carefully grab it as high on the sides as they feel comfortable (props are the issue). If they grab the bottom, it will swing down when you remove power and possibly break Snoopy.

I usually fly for 4 minutes per charge. This uses about 50 % of the battery charge. Hover can use some energy, so it is best to play it cautious. During hover training see how much battery you use in 2 and 3 minute hovers to set your transmitter flight timer.

Anytime I fly Snoopy, people want a picture and kids want to touch. Just be aware of this. It helps to have a spotter to keep control. And remember, all the gals have to kiss Snoopy.

You are now a WWI Flying Ace fighting for the Allies. Now go out and find the Red Barron!!!
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Oct 29, 2015 at 03:40 PM.
Oct 29, 2015, 06:38 PM
Retired CAD guy
I am impressed with a comprehensive 4 page build thread.

Meanwhile I am standing by with 5 of these in stock.

Be the first kid in your neighborhood with a flying Dog House :-)

Best

Bob
Hoosier Cutout Service
Last edited by birdofplay; Oct 29, 2015 at 08:27 PM.
Oct 30, 2015, 03:40 PM
Great! Another project for this winter. :-)
Awesome looking build. Subscribed.
Nov 01, 2015, 05:18 PM
This build is awesome in every conceivable way!
Nov 02, 2015, 09:55 AM
Otto is really a genius: he can turn a simple piece of depron in awesome creation!
Anyway is it possible to convert this plan in single motor? I was thinking at your flyguy who have a single motor right in the middle. Do you think it could be too instable?
Nov 02, 2015, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Comet
Otto is really a genius: he can turn a simple piece of depron in awesome creation!
Anyway is it possible to convert this plan in single motor? I was thinking at your flyguy who have a single motor right in the middle. Do you think it could be too instable?
Don't do this!!!!!!! I speak from experience. The torque of one motor creates yaw that with the negative dihedral creates a very unstable platform. There are some single motor Doghouses out there that are said to fly well. They are not as true in appearance.
Nov 07, 2015, 01:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Dieffenbach
Don't do this!!!!!!! I speak from experience. The torque of one motor creates yaw that with the negative dihedral creates a very unstable platform. There are some single motor Doghouses out there that are said to fly well. They are not as true in appearance.
ok!
Nov 27, 2015, 06:29 PM

Night Flying Snoopy

Lights now adorn Snoopy's house.

Peanuts Movie Flying Snoopy Flies Cover for Thanksgiving by Otto (1 min 6 sec)
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Nov 27, 2015 at 07:35 PM.
Dec 06, 2015, 01:31 AM
Hillary Lied, 4 Americans Died
Looks like a great flyer Otto, awesome in the night sky. Thanks for sharing. I'll have to add this to the winter build list. Downloaded the plans, pictures and put all the instructions into a word document. I didn't see any markings on the plans or dimensions in the instructions for stabilizer locations. Are they aligned with the motor center lines? I have some FFF, so I'll build with that.
Dec 07, 2015, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Barrow
Looks like a great flyer Otto, awesome in the night sky. Thanks for sharing. I'll have to add this to the winter build list. Downloaded the plans, pictures and put all the instructions into a word document. I didn't see any markings on the plans or dimensions in the instructions for stabilizer locations. Are they aligned with the motor center lines? I have some FFF, so I'll build with that.
Yes they are aligned with the motors. Have fun.

Quick Reply