Oct 29, 2015, 02:01 PM

Step 16: Fitting the Roof

On each roof underside draw a side alignment line. The line is 4.5 inches from the roof’s bottom edge, including the dowel. The line is centered on the roof panel and 3 inches from the leading edge and trailing edge. Test fit (no glue) the roof on the house body. It is important that the roof be centered and parallel to the floor. If necessary, adjust the alignment lines. Pin the roof in position and measure the house width from side to side (outer side of each panel) and the height from the bottom of the floor (outer side) to the top of the roof peak (the point). The height should be close to 29.5 inches and the width close to 24 5/8 inches. This is a good time to spray the underside of the roof red.
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Nov 02, 2015 at 08:48 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 29, 2015, 02:02 PM

Step 17: Laying Out the Quad Frame

Before you begin, review the steps of the quad frame build, 17 to 24. It will help you understand this step better. On a flat building surface layout the quad frame. It must be flat and large enough to hold the frame. Size the center square to the footprint of your KK controller board; 2 inches for the regular and 1.5 inches for the Mini. Next draw a line vertically through the center of the square, the length equal to the height you measured in Step 16 (around 29.5 inches) with the square’s center 16.5 inches from one end; the floor end. From the floor end measure and mark 9 inches and 24 inches, this will be the center locations for two of your motor mounts. Across the center square, at 90 degrees, draw a line on center 24 5/8 inches long or whatever you measured in Step 16. From the center, make two marks 7.5 inches on either side along this line. This will be the center of your other two motor mounts. Draw 1 inch squares around the 4 motor locations.

As a option, I do build the complete programmed electronics package Ready to Fly. Below are two pictures of the package prior to shipping. This is the most challenging part of the build. For more information see my website, flyguypromotions.com.
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Oct 18, 2016 at 10:16 AM.
Oct 29, 2015, 02:04 PM

Step 18: Square Carbon Fiber Tube Preparation

Cut the two 40 inch square CF tubes to the lengths measured in step 16 using a Dremel cutoff tool. Lay them on the build layout and mark the locations of the center square and motor mounts. Using 150 grit sandpaper rough up all four sides of the tubes where the center square and motor mounts will be placed. This will help the epoxy bind to the CF.
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Nov 02, 2015 at 08:51 AM.
Oct 29, 2015, 02:06 PM

Step 19: Cutting the Center Square Ply Parts

Study the sequence of photos below. They show the 1/16 inch ply top and bottom plates and the four 5mm ply rectangles required to build the center square. I use a scroll saw to cut these and sander to clean up the edges.
Oct 29, 2015, 02:07 PM

Step 20: Cutting the Motor Mount Ply Parts

Study the sequence of photos below. They show the 1/16 inch ply top and bottom plates and the two 5mm ply rectangles required to build each of the four motor mounts. You need to cut 8 top / bottoms and 8 rectangles. I use a scroll saw to cut these and sander to clean up the edges.
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Nov 02, 2015 at 08:52 AM.
Oct 29, 2015, 02:08 PM

Step 21: Preparing the Workspace for Frame Assembly

Lay a piece of clear plastic over the frame layout drawing on your building board/table. Walk through the steps of building the frame without glue. Have two scraps of 5mm ply handy to put under the two motor mounts on the horizontal cross piece. Place all the parts where you can get to them. Have your slow cure epoxy, mixing pad, mixing stick and rag handy. Have 5 weights available to hold everything in-place during the curing process.
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Nov 02, 2015 at 08:53 AM.
Oct 29, 2015, 02:09 PM

Step 22: The Vertical Frame Member

Lay the center square and 2 motor mount 1/16 ply plates in position with epoxy on the side facing up. Lay the vertical CF square tube in position on the plates. Note all pieces will shift as you assemble so realign as required. Glue the center square and motor mount rectangles into position.
Oct 29, 2015, 02:11 PM

Step 23: The Horizontal Frame Member

Epoxy the horizontal cross member onto the center square and on the two 1/16 ply motor mount plates. The motor mount plates need to sit on the 5mm scrap to keep everything level. You should cover the scrap with clear plastic. Now epoxy the remaining rectangles for the center square and motor mounts. Epoxy the top plates on the center square and on all four motor mounts.
Oct 29, 2015, 02:12 PM

Step 24: Check Alignment and Cure

Look to see that all is aligned and put weights on the center and 4 motor locations. You might want to put clear plastic under the weights. Check alignment a final time and let sit for 24 hours. After curing, mark an F on the center square side facing up. This is the front of the frame.
Oct 29, 2015, 02:14 PM

Step 25: Mount Motors

Before performing this step you will need to cut the shafts of each motor with a Dremel cutoff tool. Make sure to cover all motor vent holes when cutting the shaft. An option is to buy the quad version of this motor but you will have to purchase an X-mount for each motor.

Using one of the X-mounts supplied with the motors, mark the hole locations on all 4 frame mounts. Drill 3mm holes in the positions marked. Attach each motor to a motor mount on the mounts back side. I faced the motor wires out to use up some of the excess length by coming around the motor to the ESC mount location.
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Nov 02, 2015 at 08:56 AM.
Oct 29, 2015, 02:15 PM

Step 26: Frame Stiffeners

From 1/8 Carbon Fiber rod, cut four lengths of 11.5 inches (check measurement first). Rough the ends with 150 grit and epoxy with slow cure in the positions shown. Let the frame sit for 24 hours.
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Nov 02, 2015 at 08:56 AM.
Oct 29, 2015, 02:16 PM

Step 27: ESC/BEC Mounts

Cut four 1.5 by 1.25 inch rectangles from 1/16 ply. These will be epoxied to each spoke of the frame, 1.5 inches from the frame center, as shown in the photo. Rough the frame first and use slow cure epoxy.
Oct 29, 2015, 02:17 PM

Step 28: Upper Rudder Servo

Take one of your HS-85MG servos and cut off the mounting lans with a razor saw. Sand the lan area flush and sand the side of the servo that will mount on the back of the center square. Mount a control arm to the servo with the servo centered. With CA, glue the servo to the back side of the center square with the servo’s top and side flush with the upper right corner of the center square.
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Nov 02, 2015 at 08:58 AM.
Oct 29, 2015, 02:18 PM

Step 29: Receiver Mounting Plate

Cut from 1/8 ply scrap a rectangle 2.25 by 0.75 inches. Glue to the side of the center square and servo as shown in the photo with 5 minute epoxy.
Oct 29, 2015, 02:19 PM

Step 30: Control Horn Mounting

This is information only for steps 31 to 33. For each control surface you will install a control horn. I use a 4 inch length of flat CF 1/8 inch wide to help stiffen the surface. From the horns location on the control surface, I make a shallow slit in the surface of the Depron 4 inches long. I run the end of the CF flat down the slit to deepen it to the width of the CF. I glue the CF stiffener in-place with CA. On both sides of the horn mounting location I glue, with CA, a inch square from 1/32 ply. I then drill mounting holes and mount the horn.

Quick Reply