Oct 29, 2015, 08:51 AM
Thread OP
Mini-HowTo

Using an R3/RSW to connect a non Jeti transmitter as a wireless buddy box.

Jeti recently released a special firmware version V3.06 specifically for the R3/RSW receiver to allow any non Jeti transmitter with a PPM trainer output to be used with a DS16 as a wireless student transmitter. I used a Spektrum DX6 to test this out. To connect the DX6's trainer interface to the R3/RSW I used a 3.5mm Mono (not stereo) audio cable and connected the shield to the negative pin of a JR style connector and the center conductor to the signal pin of the JR connector.

Assumptions:
1) You have a basic model memory on the DS16 that controls the aircraft and is bound to the DS16.
2) You have a basic setup on the student transmitter to allow it to control the aircraft.
3) The trainer cord has no power pin so you will need to connect receiver pack to a spare port on the R3/RSW. If used with a head tracker that has a cable that brings out power, the extra receiver pack won't be needed.

Step 1) Download and install V1.06 firmware on an R3/RSW.
(a) Connect the trainer cord to Port 1 (PPM Input) of the R3/RSW.
(b) Connect a bind plug to port 4 (EXT) of the R3/RSW

Step 2) On the DS16, go to Advanced Properties /Wireless modes/Trainer menu and select Teacher mode, a trainer switch and the channels to be controlled.
(a) Connect a receiver battery to a spare port of R3/RSW.
(b) Select "Pair secondary Tx module" and bind it to the R3/RSW.
NOTE: The R3/RSW MUST see a PPM input on port 1 or it WILL NOT BIND.
(c) Once R3/RSW binds to the DS16, remove it's bind plug.

With everything powered up, when the trainer switch is flipped, the Student transmitter should be able to control the aircraft.

Since to the best of my knowledge, FPV Head Trackers look like a PPM trainer interface, this setup should also allow you to control the camera gimbal via the head tracker with the proper Student/Teacher setup on the DS16.

You can download the V3.06 firmware from the Esprit website here: http://file.espritmodel.com/firmware...Tx306_R3HW.exe

Wayne
Last edited by wfield0455; Oct 29, 2015 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Corrected firmware version and added download link
to remove ads between posts
Oct 29, 2015, 10:29 AM
Can you post a link to the firmware download.
I tried a firmware from the jeti site about a month ago with a R3/RSW
"Duplex EX - R3L Tx V3.06 - Duplex R3L in Tx mode. Option for a wireless buddy box"
The firmware would not recognize it.
Last edited by cravenjw; Oct 29, 2015 at 10:52 AM.
Oct 29, 2015, 10:58 AM
Thx Wayne, that version you posted works.
Oct 29, 2015, 12:30 PM
Using the R3BuddyBox i did a fast bench top setup, for Fatshark Head Tracking to a PanTilt

First i spliced a JR connector (GND, PPM) onto a 4pin S-video connector which is what fatshark goggles.

not my diagram, but
Name: Connection_zps1a011e3c.jpg
Views: 200
Size: 50.9 KB
Description:

JR goes into port1 on the R3BB. I used a 2S lipo rx pack with a JR lead into anther port on the R3BB for power.
Not sure the Fatshark can supply power for the R3BB. Ill have to look into that later.

Then i bound an R9 using a new areo model setup.
Added pan and tilt functions assigned to CH5 and CH6. No switch or stick assignments.
Plugged in the Fatshark pantilt into the R9 on CH5 and CH6

Went to wireless modes, did teacher setup as Wayne has detailed below.
Enabled only CH5 and CH6 student control.
Enable student control on Sf switch.

Set Sf, Wow it works!

Sf off, pan tilt centers.
Kill power on R3BB pantilt centers.
Pull ppm cable from google, pan tilt centers.
Even failsafe in a logical manner with no other setup!!! Sweet!

Thx Wayne
Nov 07, 2015, 10:29 PM
It's like an addiction!
Great write-up!
With regards to Head-tracking (or Trainer), why can't the head-tracker cable be connected directly to the PPM connector on the Tx board?
Thanks Chris
Nov 08, 2015, 04:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downwind3Zero
Great write-up!
With regards to Head-tracking (or Trainer), why can't the head-tracker cable be connected directly to the PPM connector on the Tx board?
Thanks Chris
Yes.
You can't buy the Jeti made cable from esprit if your in USA/Can.
Cable from Europe is 15eur, with 30eur shipping! Lol
I bought a jack and also ordered a couple of the mobo connectors.
But this wireless thing can up before drilling any holes!
I will still add the ppm in and ppm out ports eventually.
Last edited by cravenjw; Oct 27, 2016 at 09:27 PM.
Nov 08, 2015, 05:26 AM
It's like an addiction!
Got it. thanks!
Nov 08, 2015, 07:38 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downwind3Zero
Great write-up!
Thanks Chris
I've been told by a couple of people that after wiring up a custom cable, etc, that they weren't able to get the wired training connection to accept PPM input, only PPM output for use with a simulator. Personally, I'm guessing it wasn't wired correctly but that is just speculation on my part.

Wayne
Nov 09, 2015, 04:55 AM
It's like an addiction!
I'll give it a shot Wayne.
Thanks Chris
Jan 02, 2016, 07:03 AM
It's like an addiction!

Headtracker and Jeti Mono Jack

Was able to get this working (with help from cravenjw) with both Fatshark and Skyzone 01 goggles.
Jeti mono cable: PPM in (yellow) needs to be repositioned to pin1, ground (black) can remain in pin3.
Fatshark stereo plug from headtracker: base must be ground and tip must be PPM in. Voltage measured 2.8V.
Jeti Tx: In function assignment, change input on CH5/6 (or your preference) to PPM in (headtracker needs to be plugged in to Jeti jack).

Chris

Quick Reply