This thread is privately moderated by PittSpecial, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 29, 2015, 04:38 AM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
Discussion

E-Flite J3 from Budkeywest!

Guys,

I am finally the proud owner and flyer of one slightly used E-Flite J3 Piper 25e size and power. The specifications are:

Specifications:
Wingspan: 62 in (1575mm)
Length: 35.5 in (900mm)
Wing Area: 552 sq in (35.5 sq dm)
Weight w/o Battery: 3.2 lb (1.45 kg); 4.5 lb w/Floats (2.0 kg)
Weight w/Battery: 4 lb (1.8 kg); 5.3 lb w/Floats (2.4 kg)

I say slightly since I traded with Budkeywest back in 2013!

Here is Bud's For Sale Ad:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2065604

Here is what I traded him for it:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2052619

================================================== ===

Flight Ready Summary:

The E-Flite J3 Piper was observed as repaired in the frontal wing saddle section and other minor scrapes and repairs on wing tips.

However, the J3 Piper is in very good shape and servos look new. Bud included some Piper Yellow trim sheet and with that I was able to hide many prior flight / landing issues. The windshield is still usable even though it has a missing side piece and trim Sheet was used used to secure to the FUSE and did a great job.

Over all spent was just 2 hours getting it flight ready and that's was taking my time.

1/4 Throttle:

1/2 Throttle:

Full Throttle was right at 26-AMPs and could not read the Watts as it was pretty scary!

My maiden flight with it will be this morning!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 29, 2015, 07:58 PM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
Flew her today and on the first take-off it stalled and I struggled to keep her in one piece and finally I was able to keep her level and allowed her to settled on the grass field adjacent to the hard runway.

Several factors played into this experience.

1. The freaking main landing gear had too much toe-out which is a dreaded disaster waiting to happen on any J3 Piper according to the elders in our RC Club.

2. Forgot to check the travel on Ailerons and this is why the model reacted with side-to-side wing down / wing up events as there was just too much travel.

3. Due to the Main Gear issue, as the model veered off course, I may have horsed the model UP before its time and causing a stall.

Well, the only thing that broke was the wooden Master Airscrew Propeller of which I carried a brand new spare! No damage to the model what-so-ever!

I brought it back to the RC Club table and replaced the propeller with a new MAS 11 X 6 wooden propeller and proceeded to adjust all control surfaces with reduced travel and EXPO.

On the 2nd take-off, it was still unmanageable due to the Main Gear toe-out but, I was able to keep her on the ground and applied the required power to have the wings gain lift and OFF it went into the beautiful Blue Sky. Many there really enjoyed the SLOW passes and they told me that this model really looks the part of the Full Scale with those slow passes.

At half throttle, this power system is pulling 14 AMPs max and it was an awesome site to see.

Quick Reply