Oct 29, 2015, 12:10 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Covering Built-Up Wing With Brown Paper

I am thinking about a project and am wondering if this covering will work. I am building a built up wing out of foamboard ribs (because I want to cheaply test a prototype and I like trying new build methods). I am planning on putting glue on the wing ribs, placing some basic brown paper on them, then painting it with thinned glue or Minwax WBPU.

Will the paper coated with the glue or minwax act the same as tissue and dope and have slight shrinkage?

I want a little shrinkage but not much - Will this work?

I ask because I have only found examples of this on foam core wings. Thanks for any help.
Last edited by Mr.Runster; Oct 29, 2015 at 12:31 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 29, 2015, 08:54 AM
I have used the brown paper method of covering on a solid foam, or skinned foam built up wing, but would not consider using it on a built up open wing.

The shrinkage power of 'wet' brown paper is quite considerable, and I think will easily distort an open rib built up wing. (Unless you are talking about a very BIG built up wing.

Many 'prototype' model can be flight tested with simple all sheet profile glider. That's how I determine the approximate CG location for something that is 'different', I build a small scale all sheet model for glide testing.

Why not just use one of the many heat-shrink modeling films ?.

Ray.
Oct 29, 2015, 11:13 AM
Thread OP
I was thinking that those heat shrink films would shrink too much! And I thought that the paper wouldn't shrink that much. As I thought more about it last night, I decided the best method might be to use some laminate. But a little thicker, maybe 5 to 7 mil from aloft or laminator warehouse. I don't want it to be sooo thin like the 1.5 mil lam. This is going to be a 63" wing.
Oct 29, 2015, 11:24 AM
Frequent Flyer
The 3 mil Doculam would have more than enough strength and be much lighter than brown paper.
Oct 30, 2015, 07:22 AM
Foam is my friend!!!
I've never tried this.....but some people are talking about the clear (Transparent) wrapping paper that you can get from Dollar Tree!!?? usually comes in yellow, green, red!! it has a slight shrinkage when heated and can be affixed to the foam ribs with a spray adhesive (like 3M77), other thoughts... Doculam, or window/door heat shrink covering used for winter sealing of drafts, this shrinks when heated with a blow dryer!??

Quick Reply