Jan 24, 2019, 10:38 PM
Going back to balsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuscraig1
The issue i got is do i program a mix on my dx18 for the rudder when i apply aileron and if so in what direction ect. I have never done this before and heard on big planes it is needed.
I program a little aileron to rudder mix on a few of my airplanes. And while it is far from necessary it does make flying a bit more relaxing.

Some transmitters have aileron to rudder mix as one of the standard mixes available, so what does that tell ya?

Right aileron command = right rudder(and vice versa) is what you want. For inverted flying you will want to be able to turn that function off via a switch, otherwise the mix is working opposite of what you want.

Give a try and see if you like it, if not then no harm done.
Last edited by S.Davy; Jan 25, 2019 at 02:57 AM. Reason: typo
to remove ads between posts
Jan 25, 2019, 12:22 PM
geek from Cow Pie AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress..
Anyone who claims any kind of mix is required for flight is incorrect, there is no mix needed. I fly mine without mixes of any kind (except flap to elevator) and it tracks straight as an arrow.

That is actually correct. In a full scale plane, it is frequently necessary to apply rudder with aileron to initiate a coordinated turn, HOWEVER, once well into the turn, you ease off rudder and even apply opposite rudder in some instances.

Therefore, it doesn't make sense to have aileron to rudder mix applied automatically all the time.
Jan 25, 2019, 12:36 PM
Fully Sending It
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerts
Therefore, it doesn't make sense to have aileron to rudder mix applied automatically all the time.
This is what I was referring to. Any required mixing or coordination between control surfaces can easily be accomplished by wiggling the transmitter sticks in the correct directions
Latest blog entry: My relationship with Hitec
Jan 25, 2019, 01:28 PM
AMA# SIMAGES

@ Xpress.... and others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress..
This is what I was referring to. Any required mixing or coordination between control surfaces can easily be accomplished by wiggling the transmitter sticks in the correct directions
I like your advise you gave a newbie back in Oct 26, 2017 for a Q: Does this need co-ordinated aileron and rudder for turns?

A: All conventional aircraft generally require this. Is it absolutely necessary? No, but it does help the airplane fly cleaner if you feed in a little rudder in the turns. You can crank the throttle up and feed in more elevator and rudder for some really sharp banked turns too.
Latest blog entry: For Sale
Jan 25, 2019, 01:58 PM
AMA# SIMAGES

Coordinated Aileron-Rudder “if" needed of wanted…..

And further more.... like Xpress said; you really don't need a mix on the XL.

The solution to counter adverse “yaw” is to use the surface that controls yaw, the rudder. Coordinated rudder deflections along with and in the “same direction” as the ailerons, prevent the plane from skidding in the opposite direction while banking into and out of turns.

I’ve been taught that the function of the rudder deflection here is not to turn the plane, but rather to prevent “adverse yaw” in order to achieve a precise axial bank and roll response. That being said;

An RC Flat-Bottom wing airplane should adjust the A/R mix 1-to-1 (equal degree deflection)
An RC Semi-Symmetrical wing airplane should adjust the A/R 2-to-1 (rudder deflects half as far as the ailerons)
An RC Fully-Symmetrical wing Airplane should be minimal aileron-rudder mix no more than a degree or 2 (pretty much optional)

I know if you ask 10 folks we’ll all get 10 different answers…..

Hope this helps someone as the XL is an Awesome Plane!!!
Jan 25, 2019, 02:16 PM
geek from Cow Pie AZ
That's a bit techie. High wing planes tend to go into a turn with nose high attitude, that's the adverse yaw (only because the fuselage is rotated to appear the nose is high). The turn is very awkward and slow, plane tends to lose speed. Just apply rudder in same direction as aileron, the fuselage will go level when you got it right, the turn will progress rapidly at that point and airspeed picks up as it should (stall speed is lower in turn due to higher wing loading as the plane is banked and turning)
Last edited by Zerts; Jan 25, 2019 at 05:43 PM.
Jan 25, 2019, 02:42 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
True and well said Zerts... or just wiggle the sticks as Xpress said.
Jan 25, 2019, 02:52 PM
Going back to balsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerts
Just apply rudder in same direction as aileron, the fuselage will go level when you got it right, the turn will progress...
Indeed. That is precisely what the aileron to rudder mix does.
Jan 26, 2019, 12:18 PM
On some planes, the turn is neater if you start the turn with rudder, then co-ordinate the aileron and bring the wings level after the turn with aileron. Coupled aileron/rudder is one option if your rudder thumb is lazy/untrained.

Worth putting the mix on a switch so you can try both and practice using rudder, then you can try an autogyro where you must use rudder to turn and use the ailerons to control the roll (sometimes holding in opposite aileron )
May 22, 2019, 08:25 AM
You down with EPP?

Funcub XL

Looking into getting one of these.....

I'm wondering what battery sizes folks are using as well as what servos come with the RxR version?

Thanks
May 22, 2019, 09:20 AM
AMA# SIMAGES
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123
Looking into getting one of these.....
I'm wondering what battery sizes folks are using as well as what servos come with the RxR version?
Thanks
I ran Revolectrix GO>>PACKS 5000 mAh 6s 70c and the RR version comes with Six Hitec HS-225BB servos

Hope this helps.....
May 22, 2019, 09:29 AM
You down with EPP?
Quote:
Originally Posted by simages
I ran Revolectrix GO>>PACKS 5000 mAh 6s 70c and the RR version comes with Six Hitec HS-225BB servos

Hope this helps.....
Thanks!! big help. Didn't know how it would handle the bigger batts.

About the servos, how do they hold up? for 3D? Those are some cheap servos. EEk

Also, are the rudder and elevator servos easy to remove? or are they glued and or tunneled through the fuse like the gliders?
May 22, 2019, 10:37 AM
AMA# SIMAGES
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123
Thanks!! big help. Didn't know how it would handle the bigger batts.
About the servos, how do they hold up? for 3D? Those are some cheap servos. EEk
Also, are the rudder and elevator servos easy to remove? or are they glued and or tunneled through the fuse like the gliders?
Well, not easy to remove because they are glued and the extentions were glued as well. Before my maiden I had a constant fluttering rudder servo which I had to replace. I did replace both tail servos with HS-225MG servos. Then used the removed elevator servo for the cargo door.
May 22, 2019, 01:58 PM
Fully Sending It
Anything from 5s 5000 to 6s 5000 will work, I've had the best luck with 6s 3300. It's not a 3D airplane in any regard, the 225's work sufficiently.
Latest blog entry: My relationship with Hitec

Quick Reply