Multiplex FunCub XL - RC Groups
Oct 28, 2015, 06:38 PM
Wada ya mean, over engineered?
New Product

Multiplex FunCub XL

Multiplex has just announced the release of the FunCub XL!

Here's what a search for FUNCUB XL turned up on a German site (translated with Google). http://www.rc-modell-rastatt.de/neu-...nfo-funcub-xl/

Better than fun - great fun!
The FunCub XL from MULTIPLEX was developed as a large multi-function high-wing aerobatic sluggish fun aviator. The XL has incredible STOL characteristics and is with her big, soft tundra tires on almost any terrain and can be used anywhere.
The kit will inspire you with its high degree of prefabrication. For operation you need a remote control from 7 channels, a matching receiver, 6 servos Hitec HS-225 BB, the MULTIPLEX power set "FunCub XL" and two 3S LiPo 3200 mAh.
The ELAPORŽ model has many fine details, such as the very elegant LED covers for the optional lighting with the POWER Multi Light (# 7 3030) - a real eye-catcher, a drag clutch included as standard, the big chute for a matching Parachutist (# 852 004) is available. If you want to use all the additional functions, you should have a remote control with at least 10 channels. Of course, is also a decent swimmer Set (# 733 098) in FunCub XL format available. The FunCub XL flies with extreme precision and grow up! We have her large control surfaces, plenty of power and very balanced handling characteristics missed, so that vertical climbs, aerobatic flights with knives, and even torque rolls are possible!
Features:
• kit with a high degree of prefabrication / cut premium vinyl decals
• incredibly big fun factor by many additional functions
• extremely precise and adult flight behavior
• Offset landing flaps for steep descents and short takeoffs
• off-road ability by huge, soft wheels
• High-strength hull by "M-Frame Technology"
• Strong and lightweight carbon tubes (CFK) in the wings
• Low minimum airspeed
• (in HERON-size eg) Suitable for aero-towing gliders • Two-part wing for ease of transport by ship: 48 KW
• Powerful drive kit (# 33 2610) available

Wingspan: 1700 mm Flying weight: from 2850 g Overall length: 1200mm
RC functions: Rudder, elevator, ailerons, flaps, engine, Optional Schleppkupplung, Optional chute, optional navigation lights and landing lights

# 21 4331 BK FunCub XL- 189,90 € - $207.49
# 26 4331 RR FunCub XL- 399,90 € - $436.95
# 33 2610 Antriebssatz FunCub XL bestehend aus Permax BL-O 4235-0480, Regler MULTIcont BL-60 SD, Mitnehmer + Prop 15×8″- 129,90 € - Motor $141.93
# 73 3098 Schwimmerset FunCub XL- 55,90 € - Float set $61.06

Might be tempted, the kit isn't too terribly expensive but we'll have to see what the price comes in at when they get here!

Additionally Hitec RCD has not confirmed whether they will be imported here or not yet. Now to start looking at paint schemes (just in case)!

UPDATE: The guy's on the original FunCub thread are pretty inventive and often times I thought it would be nice to have an index to 'find' some of those posts. What I'd like to do here as the thread progresses is post links to key posts and ideas that would be good for someone new to thread to easily find. If I miss something just PM me and I'll get it added to the list.

Thanks to faldomak who shared the release on the Multiplex FunCub thread - https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ostcount=25792
and Xpress.. for elaborating on it! - https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ostcount=25799
Chrizz for our first glimpse of the XL in action - https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...1&postcount=14
A profile for folks to try out paint scheme ideas. - https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...3&postcount=43
Last edited by cubcrafter60; Oct 07, 2017 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Added photo submitted by Xpress..
to remove ads between posts
Oct 28, 2015, 07:15 PM
Tree hopper
And the release/shipping date?
Oct 28, 2015, 07:26 PM
1st to the scene of the crash
Would love to see some flight video!
Latest blog entry: Building the sig astro-hog
Oct 28, 2015, 07:53 PM
Nothing yet Gabe. It's a definite maybe/wait and see! Looking way back in the FunCub thread it was two months from the time they announced it on RCG to the first ones arriving at hobby shops in Europe and 4 1/2 months before the first guy in the US (on RCG anyway) got his!

So I guess we'll have to hunker down for the wait.

Hi Lane! I think we'll have to wait and see for that as well, the image above is the only thing released so far. I've been told that Multiplex has several trade shows coming up in the next few weeks so hopefully some more info (and some videos) will emerge!

Did you guy's catch they'll have a lighting kit for it as well?
Latest blog entry: Seagull Gipsy Moth (back to it)
Oct 28, 2015, 09:17 PM
Tree hopper
Yep, lights, parachute guy, drop box, going to need 10 channels + .
So maybe next year this time we will see one first hand??
Looked at Multiplex site and got caught up on it with the translator..
Oct 29, 2015, 04:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabe221
There's a big model fair in Germany this weekend, Multiplex have changed their philosophy to keeping products under wrap until they are launched. Now some photos have leaked out, if it's officially shown at this show, I'd expect it to be shipping in Europe straight after this show. When it gets to the US will be down to Hitec USA.

The Multiplex lighting set has been available in Europe for a few years now.
Oct 29, 2015, 06:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubcrafter60
Did you guy's catch they'll have a lighting kit for it as well?
If I understand it right, the lighting kit itself is not included, but transparent covers for th optional "POWER-MULTIlight (# 7 3030)" are in the kit.

I use said POWER-MULTIlight in my Twinstar and would recommend it.
It includes nine 8mm LEDs with 0.5 watt each and a three mode switchable controller that's powered directly from the LiPo.
Plug and play for a reasonable price.

http://www.multiplex-rc.de/produkte/...98d19803ed700c

Don't know if it is/will be available in the US though.

Multiplex Tucan with Multiplex Power MultiLight (1 min 16 sec)

(not my video)
Oct 29, 2015, 06:45 AM
Thanks FrankS, hopefully we'll get lucky and get a better look at it after this weekend then!

Kinda curious about the "M-Frame Technology" High-strength hull. Also wondering why they decided to go just 11" bigger than the standard FunCub (should remain fairly easy to transport). Hard to tell from the pic but the landing gear looks a bit more robust and the tail wheel looks to be a definite improvement. Can't tell if the struts are rigid or elastic like on the HZ Super Cub so I'll have to wait until Multiplex reveals a little more before we can tell if they're a plus or not. I do like the shape of the new fuselage though. Like Evan said on the FunCub thread though, it might have been nice to see some of these improvements incorporated into a FunCub II.
Last edited by cubcrafter60; Oct 29, 2015 at 08:12 AM.
Oct 29, 2015, 06:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabe221
The above link mentiones "calendar week 48", that would be the last week of november.

As FrankS said, they learned from the past, so this date should be realistic.
Oct 29, 2015, 06:58 AM
Mac Smith,

Would be nice if they imported those as well, and realize your referring to a European release date of course!
Latest blog entry: Seagull Gipsy Moth (back to it)
Oct 29, 2015, 07:44 AM
I think this model will affect sales of the E-Flite Carbon Z Cub in Europe which is likely to be it's major rival. Also wonder whether Multiplex will continue with the Mentor which is more or less the same size.
Oct 29, 2015, 08:51 AM
It could very well Steve but from some of the comments on the FunCub thread it may be a different story over here. I love my FunCub and while I'm looking at this one with interest but the few who have chimed in on the FubCub thread so far don't seem to be quite as excited, not to say that this won't change or it wouldn't possibly attract a totally different group of modelers, I guess we'll see!

Just had my first look at a Mentor about a week ago and was surprised at how big it was!
Last edited by cubcrafter60; Oct 29, 2015 at 12:54 PM.
Oct 29, 2015, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix239
I think this model will affect sales of the E-Flite Carbon Z Cub in Europe which is likely to be it's major rival. Also wonder whether Multiplex will continue with the Mentor which is more or less the same size.
I personally do not know if we will begin importing the FunCub XL here in the States. With the Mentor being discontinued from our lineup I know we will need to fill a gap with something so the FunCub XL might take its place but again, I don't know for certain.

As soon as we have more details we will release them to the public.
Oct 29, 2015, 04:57 PM
MULTIPLEX FunCub XL [english] (2 min 47 sec)
Oct 29, 2015, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress..
I personally do not know if we will begin importing the FunCub XL here in the States. With the Mentor being discontinued from our lineup I know we will need to fill a gap with something so the FunCub XL might take its place but again, I don't know for certain...
Not bringing this to the US would be inexplicable.

This looks great.