Oct 28, 2015, 05:26 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Cheerson CX-20 Auto Pathfinder questions while it's on the way...

While the CX-20 is on it's way, I'm researching and watching videos.
I noticed none of them have blade guards.
Should I buy a set? Is the frame not made for guards or they just don't include it?

What about extra battery?
I watched video of replacing blades with DJI 9443 9" blades. Is that significantly better?

Do I need to replace existing camera mount or should it be okay for small action cameras like Git1, Firefly etc...?

Are there any issues that I should be aware of?

I have not read mods and other things like open source programming on it yet as I'd like to get familiar with it as is it stock.

Are all CX-20 open source versions?

Looks like it'll be a handful with computer mission programming and other stuffs.

Thanks for any comment.
I'll continue my research and add more questions.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 04, 2015, 12:49 PM
Thread OP
My CX-20 arrived safely.
One screw of the transmitter stick was loose on the box but otherwise in great condition.
Here's unboxing video:

Unboxing CHEERSON CX 20 Quadcopter with GPS from Gearbest (3 min 47 sec)

Yippee!

I'm reading that humongous thread to get some familiarity with it before assembling/flying.

Few pictures:

Growing collection:
Nov 05, 2015, 08:45 PM
Suspended Account
I wish you luck with that beast. I have a Nova (same thing really) & I wish I had never laid eyes on it ! Quality is very poor, longevity? Measured in minutes!
I note you have a X5C, they are the best low powered quad around. Flown mine to death & was cheap as chips!:-)
Sep 09, 2017, 09:58 AM
Hello
Sep 10, 2017, 06:03 AM
Fear only fear in life
Don't listen to RC Adventurer. There are many happy tinkerers that own Nova's and Cheerson CX 20's. I have had mine for over 3 years now
Jan 04, 2018, 04:53 PM
sunny-1. Glad to see that collection is growing. Mine too. One is the Nova
Jan 04, 2018, 08:40 PM
Yeah mine came today also and was gonna post pictures but the video you posted is exactly like mine so no need to duplicate as it would have been a carbon copy of yours. Got mine from Storm Store. Don't know a thing about the CX20 as have been reading the entire thread on the XK X380 as that's the bird I was really after before this CX20 came along so got a ton of reading and catching up to do before I consider any flights with it. Got two bug 2's both the C and W models plus the Q696A and a JJRC H31. So if there is any advice one wants to share on the CX20 I would be very interested in hearing before I start reading the entire thread.
Jan 04, 2018, 09:52 PM
Mine flies fine. Doesn't get much air time. Too many so little time. . Follow the instructions. They say u only have to do compass cal once. Unless you move to a different field 15 or more miles away . I don't believe it for a min. Only problem I had was getting use to the non centering stick. Another reason it gets fewer flights. When taking off be aggressive. It has to go up rather quickly. ( 8feet ) then let it hover. Find your sweet spot on the throttle . Fly your first battery or even 2 within range 40 to 50 feet distance 20 / 30 feet altitude. Get use to it. Most flyaway hapoen in the first few flights. . Your gona love it . This is your first GPS.
Jan 04, 2018, 10:34 PM
For the price, cx-20 is a good deal for mid-size GPS quad. When you take time to tune it, it is a wonderful quad. I still have three Cx-20 sitting in my workshop.
Jan 04, 2018, 11:10 PM
You do only have to do a compass calibration once unless you change the hardware on the craft. The compass calibration has nothing to do with the location, you are confusing that with declination. And that by default is set to Auto and accounted for by GPS position. So if you don't believe it for a minute it's because you don't understand what compass calibration does and how declination works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Luciano
Mine flies fine. Doesn't get much air time. Too many so little time. . Follow the instructions. They say u only have to do compass cal once. Unless you move to a different field 15 or more miles away . I don't believe it for a min. Only problem I had was getting use to the non centering stick. Another reason it gets fewer flights. When taking off be aggressive. It has to go up rather quickly. ( 8feet ) then let it hover. Find your sweet spot on the throttle . Fly your first battery or even 2 within range 40 to 50 feet distance 20 / 30 feet altitude. Get use to it. Most flyaway hapoen in the first few flights. . Your gona love it . This is your first GPS.
Jan 04, 2018, 11:43 PM
So your saying if I pack up my quad. And drive to a vacation spot say Maine 400 miles from here I can put it in the ground and it will be ok not to re do compasss . Also there is also a chance it may come in contact with and magnetic field. I do a compass calibration if it sits for a long time, ( 3 or 4 months like all winter. ) rather be safe than sorry. To me it gives me peace of mind. And it takes 3 min .
Jan 05, 2018, 08:51 AM
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. The compass calibration generates error offsets from local (on the craft) magnetic interference not global (location). The magnetic field you are talking about is present everywhere and is what causes the error between true north and magnetic north or Declination. This varies widely around the world but it's known and mapped and corrected for in firmware. As I said this is not the same as what's generated during compass calibration and it's automatic unless you choose other than default config. You are wasting 3 minutes of battery in a futile effort to correct something that is not there. As I said, the only time you need to do a compass calibration is initially and after a hardware change on the craft that would effect the magnetic error (motors, batteries, power module, other electronics or wiring). There have been some occasions when a major Arducopter firmware update has required a compass calibration but that's because ALL mandatory calibration have to be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Luciano
So your saying if I pack up my quad. And drive to a vacation spot say Maine 400 miles from here I can put it in the ground and it will be ok not to re do compasss . Also there is also a chance it may come in contact with and magnetic field. I do a compass calibration if it sits for a long time, ( 3 or 4 months like all winter. ) rather be safe than sorry. To me it gives me peace of mind. And it takes 3 min .
Jan 05, 2018, 09:31 AM
DRONELANDER Boss
I'm one happy Cheerson CX-20 open-source owner but actually, I mean today; I will never suggest someone to buy it due to it's old electronic stuff installed on it.

An old fashionable APM 2.52 that allow only up to 3.2.1 firmware upgrade. It was a very big school for me and thank to it I could start publishing upgrade tutorials and mods.

for the price and parts it doesn't worth the price
Jan 05, 2018, 09:46 AM
Well it may be old school but then again I'm a old school kind of guy so hopefully this ole quad will serve me well not only now but in the future as well. Don't require all the new fangled bells and whistles to make me happy. Just a good flying gps camera quad and I'm a happy camper.
Jan 05, 2018, 10:02 AM
DRONELANDER Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man flying
Well it may be old school but then again I'm a old school kind of guy so hopefully this ole quad will serve me well not only now but in the future as well. Don't require all the new fangled bells and whistles to make me happy. Just a good flying gps camera quad and I'm a happy camper.
I dint't meant it's old school but a big school for learning quadcopter parts: first thing you should do is replacing the factory propellers with genuine DJI 9450 plastic propellers.

Quick Reply