Oct 28, 2015, 05:03 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Thread OP
Build Log

Earl Stahl Interstate Cadet for YOBBO (1941) - FLYING PHOTOS ADDED!

Well, as the current build of the 2 x Frog Widgeon is pretty much at the covering stage it is high time to decide what to build for the YOBBO. Lots of plans listed for 1941 in Outerzone, 72 in fact, but my shortlist boiled down to the Cloudcraft Mercury, Interstate Cadet, Request (Ehling), Simplex, Scientific Varsity and Englehardt's So Long. I was torn between a twice size Mercury and a 1.5 x size Interstate Cadet, finally deciding on the latter, although I may also do the Mercury if time permits.

The aim is to stick to the structure as closely as possible (with appropriate increases in material size of course) except for inevitable "improvements" like laminated tips and tail outlines in place of sheet sections to produce a light park flyer with a "rubber scale model" look. Electric power and RET radio of course.
Last edited by Sundancer; Apr 27, 2016 at 09:56 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 28, 2015, 07:20 PM
RFJ
RFJ
It probably doesn't add much to the sum of human knowledge but I always enjoy reading the original construction article for a model

Ray
Last edited by RFJ; Oct 29, 2015 at 04:58 AM.
Oct 29, 2015, 02:22 AM
Thread OP
Thanks a lot Ray.
Oct 29, 2015, 02:34 AM
Good luck.
Oct 29, 2015, 07:57 AM
I'd rather be flying.....
The Cadet will be a majestic flyer.....

best regards,

jeff
Dec 01, 2015, 04:54 PM
Yahoo!
Jan 09, 2016, 07:15 AM
RFJ
RFJ
Any progress on the Cadet George. Here's a little scale detail you can add

Ray
Jan 10, 2016, 03:19 AM
Thread OP
Thanks Ray, I might try that! No progress yet due to reasons I won't discuss here at the moment.
Jan 30, 2016, 05:32 PM
Thread OP

Finally got started....

I'm finally underway on the Cadet. There has been a bit of a building - indeed modelling hiatus since completing the Widgeon as, a couple of weeks before Christmas Ali's routine blood test threw up a worrying result and she was booked in for scans for mid January. Now I am naturally an optimistic person, but some of the possible causes of the blood result were not good news, and so for four weeks the last thing on my mind was aeromodelling, However, the scans were clear and the blood problem is routine which can be treated by diet. Sighs of relief all round and I am able once again to enjoy the workshop.

So....pencil drawings at 1.5 times the size of th original have been prepared (see photo 1 below), I spent an hour or two on one of my favourite jobs, cutting out the wing ribs and also cutting formers from 6 mm depron for laminating the wing tips and tail surfaces (photo 2 below), which will be done tomorrow. Hopefully the next week will see quite a lot of the structure built.
Jan 30, 2016, 07:52 PM
So glad to hear all is well, your last post had me worried.

Looking forward to another superb YOBBO.
Jan 30, 2016, 07:58 PM
Best wishes to Mrs Sundancer.
Jan 31, 2016, 03:04 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Good news re Ali, George! Now all you've got to do is get used to her new diet!!! I should know - having had Milady turn vegetarian about six months ago, half my meals are now meat free too!!
Jan 31, 2016, 04:46 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for the good wishes guys, it was a stressful few weeks, as you get older these things crop up with greater frequency.

Only HALF your meals Colonel? Could be worse (and probably will be!), the wife of a friend of ours went "veggie" a few years ago and he is reduced to sneaking out to McDonalds or Burger King for a meat fix these days! After 74 plus years as a dedicated carnivore I'm afraid Quorn and nut roasts just don't cut it for me, but fortunately Ali's new dietary requirements don't involve vegetarianism.

Anyway, back to the build, the weather is foul here today, wall-to-wall wind and rain following on a couple of days of sun and temperatures in the high teens - still, it means that there is nothing to distract me from the workshop and a laminating fest - one of my favourite bits of building.
Jan 31, 2016, 05:34 AM
I'd rather be flying.....
Hi George -

Very glad to hear Your Ali is OK !

Looking forward to the Cadet ,

best regards,

jeff
Jan 31, 2016, 06:00 AM
Hi there, glad Ali 's ok

Happy laminating

Quick Reply