Oct 28, 2015, 01:40 PM
emergencymonkey
Thread OP
Discussion

Do I just need a better antenna?

Hey everyone, I have the fatshark predator V2's that came with the 25mw transmitter (image 1). Upgraded to the 600 (image 2) and am only getting about 100 yards before I lose visual/ get's too fuzzy to fly. Is it simply an antenna thing at this point? Do I need to upgrade to the spironet set (image 3)?

Currently the transmitter is on the back bottom of the 450 QX2 with the straight black antenna pointing straight down and almost touching the group before take off so I feel like it should have a pretty good delivery of the signal in all directions.

Thanks in advance!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 28, 2015, 02:01 PM
Yes these stock antenna whips are a waste of time, the spironets should make a big difference..
Oct 28, 2015, 02:02 PM
emergencymonkey
Thread OP
Are these the ones I should get then?
Oct 28, 2015, 02:11 PM
Yes,. If buying the entennas as a pair they should share the same polarisation direction and connector type, you'd just have to make sure both the vtx and vtr have the same connector type as the antennas, ie; either SMA or RP-SMA.
Oct 28, 2015, 02:13 PM
emergencymonkey
Thread OP
great sounds good. Thanks! Are the RP-SMA ones any more superior than the others?
Oct 28, 2015, 02:23 PM
please delete..
Last edited by Ari33; Oct 28, 2015 at 02:50 PM.
Oct 28, 2015, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoltarDO
great sounds good. Thanks! Are the RP-SMA ones any more superior than the others?

No, they both perform the same. they are just slightly different in that the female has a centre pin with one of the types and the male has the centre pin with the other type and therefore are not compatible with each other as can be seen here-https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...og/sma(82).jpg

I've read elsewhere that all Fatshark gear is SMA but what vtx are you using? If its an Immersion RC 600mw Vtx that should be SMA also in which case you'd want a pair of Spironets with the SMA connectors like these.. https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...a_V2_SMA_.html
Last edited by Ari33; Oct 28, 2015 at 02:53 PM.
Oct 28, 2015, 03:30 PM
emergencymonkey
Thread OP
Yeah all fatshark equipment. Thanks for your help!
Oct 28, 2015, 03:45 PM
UNPLUG!
Keep in mind, even the stock antenna's should get you MUCH further than 100 yards if maintaining line of site.

Just don't want to see you get led into buying new antenna's and that not be your problem. Those antenna's are far better and a requirement, IMO, but it doesn't mean the old ones were the source of the problem.

The linear whips should actually net more range (than a circular, marginally more gain) if the orientation is kept the same and you maintain line of site.
Oct 28, 2015, 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by criccio
Keep in mind, even the stock antenna's should get you MUCH further than 100 yards if maintaining line of site.

Just don't want to see you get led into buying new antenna's and that not be your problem. Those antenna's are far better and a requirement, IMO, but it doesn't mean the old ones were the source of the problem.

The linear whips should actually net more range (than a circular, marginally more gain) if the orientation is kept the same and you maintain line of site.
That is often true but a lot depends on how busy the RF environment is in a given flying area.

Very informative thread on the subject here http://www.djiguys.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2581

...it also contains a link to see how many RF towers/antennas there are within your own geographical flying area.
Oct 28, 2015, 05:17 PM
emergencymonkey
Thread OP
Awesome information everyone. Thanks!

Quick Reply