This thread is privately moderated by Thunder50BMG, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 27, 2015, 12:22 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Boomprop + kk2.1.5 experiment

BOOMPROP TRI + KK2.1.5 PROJECT

This is not totally new to you guys,this system has been around for a while now.
Originally, the boomprop tri of IAN DAVIDSON (Inventor) was flying with APM and on this version of mine,I will be experimenting with the KK2.1.5 Fc.
Not sure of it will work perfectly but....until you try you will never know.

ANY SUGGESTIONS ARE APPRECIATED.
Last edited by Thunder50BMG; Oct 28, 2015 at 01:48 PM. Reason: XYZ
to remove ads between posts
Oct 27, 2015, 06:33 PM
Waste Nothing
CO :

Oh I love seeing this contraption . I would have never have thunk it .

How is the yaw rate with the boomprop running ? Where can I get one of these things ? Is it a purchased item or a 3D printed one of your own ? Bearings around the boom or is the boom the bearing ?

Please advise as this generates some ideas for this kid . Thanx : RickC
Oct 27, 2015, 08:09 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC_RCAV8R
CO :

How is the yaw rate with the boomprop running ? Where can I get one of these things ? Is it a purchased item or a 3D printed one of your own ? Bearings around the boom or is the boom the bearing ?

Rick
I have not done a full test flight yet for I have not completely finish the way it's supposed to be set up. I'm hitting a wall on some of the Taranis mixing. So far I am flying it with only the boom prop mixed to elevator and it kicks in on forward elevator stick input.
Honestly , I think the yaw rate will decrease when the boomprop is running.
I don't have a 3D printer myself and when Ian Davidson (Inventor)released the STL , I went ahead and have someone printed it.
Check his YT channel and you will find all the stuff that you need to build one.
Oct 27, 2015, 08:15 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
CO :

I will upload the link of the rest of the parts when I get home tonight, like the Belt , motor pulley and the bearings.
Oct 28, 2015, 01:40 AM
Waste Nothing
CO :

Thanx a bunch for all of this work that you ar doing with the boomprop . As I always tend to bend up the rules a bit for my builds of either trikes or quads , running into something like this is a Christmas present for me to generate further ideas .

My current experiment is with a MR with wings / tail and a variable wing incidence servo control . The mix for the incidence servo is to be the camera pitch gimbal signal as found in some of the FCs out there . Your idea does lead to a question regarding the motor's control and to which channel it is to be assigned to (and its mixing) . The mix for my experiment seems to be similar to yours in that it is only invoked in forward flight ONLY . Using the regular elevator channel would seem to be problematic especially in backward flight . Please continue ! RickC
Oct 28, 2015, 11:45 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
CO :

Thanx a bunch for all of this work that you ar doing with the boomprop . As I always tend to bend up the rules a bit for my builds of either trikes or quads , running into something like this is a Christmas present for me to generate further ideas .

My current experiment is with a MR with wings / tail and a variable wing incidence servo control . The mix for the incidence servo is to be the camera pitch gimbal signal as found in some of the FCs out there . Your idea does lead to a question regarding the motor's control and to which channel it is to be assigned to (and its mixing) . The mix for my experiment seems to be similar to yours in that it is only invoked in forward flight ONLY . Using the regular elevator channel would seem to be problematic especially in backward flight . Please continue ! RickC
Thanks Rick !
Sounds like you have a very interesting project going on. Wish I can see some pix.

This boomprop catches my eye a while back and have communicated with Ian Davidson but,sadly he is not selling the 3D printed parts and I decided to dump the idea and not until he releases the STL to 3D print the parts and got somebody to print it for me. The rest of the parts like the Belt , Alum. motor pulley and Bearings are a MUST and it took me sometime to hunt for them locally to avoid ordering overseas. Found the Alum. pulley and bearing here in the US , the belt is only in china thru Amazon.

I am using a Taranis OpenTX with the X8R rx for this is what's Ian recommended for the boomprop for all the mixes he did. Luckily,I have one already. The motor is connected to the RX Chan. 8 and it's bind to the Elev. chan and boomprop motor kicks in at 40% elev stick forward command BUT, as I mentioned last time ,I can't figure out the rest of the mixes and I'm slowing down to think think think.The Taranis open tx can do countless of tricks if we have the brain but,I am still learning more and more about it.

My Boomrop experiment is not perfectly program yet as Ian D but, I am getting there and learning more about my Taranis OpenTX as I go.
Oct 28, 2015, 11:52 AM
Thread OP

BOOMPROP Parts

@ Rick

Boomprop parts local seller,can also be purchase overseas.

THIN WALL Bearings,will need 2 each system.

https://www.vxb.com/SRCH.html?Store_...&Search=6703ZZ

BELT

http://www.amazon.com/Milling-Machin...th+timing+belt

ALUM PULLEY

http://www.amazon.com/Ametric%C2%AE-...ide%2C12+teeth

MOTOR
This is the one I have now as recommended .

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...dProduct=40676
Last edited by Thunder50BMG; Oct 28, 2015 at 12:03 PM. Reason: xyz
Oct 28, 2015, 06:39 PM
Waste Nothing
@CO :

I am going to get me a couple sets of these . Thanx for these linx . Just so that "I" don't blow it , what is the OD of the CF tubing as I have to get those too . Thanx my friend . RickC
Oct 28, 2015, 07:22 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
@CO :

I am going to get me a couple sets of these . Thanx for these linx . Just so that "I" don't blow it , what is the OD of the CF tubing as I have to get those too . Thanx my friend . RickC
CF tube is 14mm.
I am using the Talon V1 quad spare parts.
Oct 31, 2015, 04:58 PM
Thread OP

Test flight

Test flight...

BOOMPROP ONE + KK2.1.5. PROJECT (8 min 25 sec)
Nov 13, 2015, 06:14 PM
Thread OP

Boomprop one open space test

Getting bored of this project and larger area is harder to find to speed fly.
Well, here is a open space flight test....not fun and good on speed flying but, luckily,it's still on one piece.

BOOMPROP ONE * Open SPACE TEST (4 min 24 sec)
Last edited by Thunder50BMG; Nov 13, 2015 at 07:20 PM. Reason: xyz

Quick Reply