View Poll Results: Have you read about the NPRM(s) that the FAA is hoping will become FAR part 107?
Yes 9 64.29%
No 0 0%
No because I can't read 2 14.29%
No cause my mommy dresses me funny, but I'm special 1 7.14%
Yes, but unlike #4 I'm not special 0 0%
Huh? Do you have my medication? 2 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Oct 26, 2015, 08:14 PM
---- --
Thread OP
Discussion

Poll plus Drone takes out power on Sunset Blvd

ABC News Channel 7 (LA) just reported around 1300hrs a drone took out a power line to 600 homes and businesses on Sunset Blvd and landed in the middle of the intersection, smoking. It just so happened that an ABC Editor/whatever was driving down the street and saw it all. He didn't have footage which is the unbelievable part. I feel my sphincter tightening.
Last edited by 9XTremist; Oct 31, 2015 at 09:48 PM. Reason: added poll
to remove ads between posts
Oct 26, 2015, 09:02 PM
One more flight...
Found this blurb on it. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...nocking-834751
Oct 26, 2015, 09:23 PM
Not the first time. An Inspire got hung up on some high tension power lines near Seattle earlier this year. The power company had to use a line basket to recover it since the lines were much too high and over water.

The threat to our hobby isn't the equipment, it's the people using them.
Oct 26, 2015, 09:33 PM
Free Sarcasm!
It's always the inspires and the phantoms. I kind of hate the ease of use. It takes all the fun out of flying, the autopilots and HHs new "wizard wand".
Oct 26, 2015, 09:35 PM
Pat, I agree. For a while now there have been a few guys here on RCG that have been preaching that the drone regulations are all about money and not safety. Maybe this will help them realize the reality. The obvious may be that there were live power lines on the ground but it goes further then that. What about any health care facilities in the area? What about special needs people whos health depend on power? Traffic lights not functioning? People stuck in elevators? All speculation on my part but all this and more is feasible. How could this not be about safety? How will the LA Mayor veiw the AMA petition when it hits his desk now?
Oct 26, 2015, 09:43 PM
Phantom 3P, Inspire 1, P4
Some pics. Looks like an Inspire 1.
http://abc7.com/news/drone-hits-west...utage/1052589/
Oct 26, 2015, 10:01 PM
Phantom 3P, Inspire 1, P4
This was posted by the Viper Room which is a club located on the same street where the drone went down.

"Never a dull moment in West Hollywood! The power went out for a minute so I went outside to see if the rest of the hood was out. Apparently a drone was following a car for a reality show and hit the power line crossing sunset at larrabee. The line snapped in half and landed on this Mini. It buzzed for a few minutes and poof! Smoke from under the hood."

So it looks like the News left out that it was being used to film a reality show.
https://instagram.com/p/9UG84NNgkM/?...y=theviperroom
Oct 26, 2015, 10:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Rich
So it looks like the News left out that it was being used to film a reality show.
So a registered, permitted, 333 exempt drone flown by a Real Pilot?
Oct 26, 2015, 10:40 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Some pics. Looks like an Inspire 1.
http://abc7.com/news/drone-hits-west...utage/1052589/
That's not an Inspire 1, that's an "Inspire none".
Oct 26, 2015, 10:47 PM
Brilliant move. Another dagger for the media to drive the stake even deeper. I can't EVER remember a fixed wing craft taking out a line on Sunset. Morons and there robotic toys, thank you.
Latest blog entry: Testing the blog page
Oct 26, 2015, 11:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by exf3bguy
How will the LA Mayor veiw the AMA petition when it hits his desk now?
Easy to answer that one, it will be an instant candidate for the circular file, unviewed.
Oct 26, 2015, 11:18 PM
Quote:
This was posted by the Viper Room which is a club located on the same street where the drone went down.

"Never a dull moment in West Hollywood! The power went out for a minute so I went outside to see if the rest of the hood was out. Apparently a drone was following a car for a reality show and hit the power line crossing sunset at larrabee. The line snapped in half and landed on this Mini. It buzzed for a few minutes and poof! Smoke from under the hood."

Really doesn't matter who was flying it, or under what authority or context. I wonder if the operator understands he's legally liable for all the damages incurred by businesses and people due to his failure to safely control his aircraft? I doubt there's much argument against this being a case of careless and reckless operation of an aircraft. The operator, and company if one was a hiring authority, is soooooo screwed.
Oct 26, 2015, 11:46 PM
Even more proof of the capability of these machines and their "operators" as opposed to "pilots", I as a long time RC pilot know how foolish and risky it is to fly in a congested area like Sunset, we would never dream of such a thing with a traditional model aircraft. This new breed? Hey, they are entitled to do anything they want, after all, they aren't "pilots", just "operators". Our narcissistic society on display.
Latest blog entry: Testing the blog page
Oct 27, 2015, 12:15 AM
Reminds me of the times that actual real people have died in power line related flight accidents that happened at the hands of FAA-licensed operators in regulated craft. Hot air balloons, for example. Long history of the registration and licensing in those situations not saving those lives.

Regardless, people operating all kinds of other equipment strike utility lines all the time. There are more power outages from squirrels and turkey vultures shorting lines and starting fires every week than there are aircraft (of any type) striking lines for years at a time.
Oct 27, 2015, 12:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageworks
Reminds me of the times that actual real people have died in power line related flight accidents that happened at the hands of FAA-licensed operators in regulated craft. Hot air balloons, for example. Long history of the registration and licensing in those situations not saving those lives.

Regardless, people operating all kinds of other equipment strike utility lines all the time. There are more power outages from squirrels and turkey vultures shorting lines and starting fires every week than there are aircraft (of any type) striking lines for years at a time.
Minimizing what happened on Sunset by giving examples of other occurrences does not make the situation any better. MAN UP and realize there is a legitimate issue here.

Quick Reply