Oct 26, 2015, 09:21 AM
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
Thread OP
Contest

F3K Fun-Fly at El Dorado Park in Long Beach - Dec 5, 2015

F3K Fun-Fly at El Dorado Park in Long Beach - Dec 5, 2015

F3K is coming back to El Dorado Park (a.k.a. ElDo)!

Once upon a time, El Dorado Park in Long Beach was the place for DLG contests in the So Cal area. Those monthly events faded away, and the Torrey Pines Gulls picked up the slack by hosting excellent F3K contests down at Poway. Unfortunately, itís a bit of a haul for those who live further North.

We have noticed that there are a lot of new DLG checkers in the LA / Orange County area, so itís about time to put on another DLG contest in Long Beach. The are two goals for this event:
  • Keep it fun and low-pressure to let newer DLG pilots dip their toes into the F3K contest waters.
  • Get to know each other! It looks like there are quite a few of us up here, so lets get together!

Who should come:
If you have a DLG, you should come. All levels of experience are welcome. If you arenít sure if the ďcontest thingĒ is for you, think of it as a fun-fly with friends with a little more structure. There will be experienced F3K pilots there to help out the guys who are new to it, so itís a great opportunity to learn from the best.

Note: a current AMA membership is required to fly at El Do - so go get one at www.modelaircraft.org if you arenít a member.

What are the rules?
This event is officially being called a ďF3K Fun-FlyĒ, but it will follow the official FAI rules for F3K. If you arenít familiar with the F3K tasks, please download the rules here

Pilotís meeting is at 8:30am and the first round of flying starts at 9:00am. We should wrap up by early afternoon.

We will be flying 6 tasks:
1:† Task G (Five longest flights), 2 minutes max
2:† Task B (Next to last and last flight), 4 minutes max
3:† Task F (3 out of 6): 3 best flights, 3 minutes max
4:† Task H (One, two, three and four minute target flight times, any order)
5:† Task A (Last flight), 5 minutes max in a 7 minute window
6:† Task C (All up, last down, 3 launches)††

There will be a break between rounds 4 and 5. No food or beverages will be provided, so bring your own.

Chime in on this thread if youíre in (or on the fence).
I will be working to set up an event on f3xvault.com for ďofficialĒ registration - Iíll announce when thatís readyÖ

Update: registration is open. register on the vault!

Where is El Dorado?
El Dorado East Regional Park is in Long Beach at 7550 E. Spring St. The Long Beach web site has a map of the park. Donít be fooled by the map - there is no entrance on Wardlow Road; you must enter through the Spring Street entrance. The flying field is in the northern most part of the park in Area III. Note: There is a $7 entrance fee (unless you have an annual pass).

See you there!

- Matt (your n00b CD)
Last edited by MattN; Oct 26, 2015 at 11:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 26, 2015, 11:27 AM
Tom Knudtson
I'm in.

I've attached another map because you need to use different 605 freeway exits if you are driving either north (Katella exit) or south (Spring exit).

And if you haven't flown a DLG contest before, reading the contest task rules might be a good way of talking yourself out of giving this a try. The descriptions sometimes seem like they were written by lawyers. I don't think you have to know or even read the task list. Most of the time the "launch and look for a thermal and" strategy will work fine. (And listen to your timer.)

El Dorado is a great DLG field; mostly grass and lots of thermals. If you have never flown in a contest before I think it may be SoCals best place to start.
Oct 26, 2015, 11:54 AM
Team Crunch Brothers
I'll be there! Sounds like a lot of fun!

-l
Oct 26, 2015, 01:13 PM
usaf3kteam
Hope arm is good by then
Oct 26, 2015, 01:15 PM
Paul Anderson
Looking forward to flying this field again. See you guys there

Paul
Oct 26, 2015, 01:19 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
Can't wait. I miss Eldo.

Jun
Oct 26, 2015, 08:02 PM
In!

I'm sure I'll have a few others by then too!

Matt, can we use F3K master as the event timer? Works great with minimal effort.
Oct 26, 2015, 08:31 PM
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jachipman
In!

I'm sure I'll have a few others by then too!

Matt, can we use F3K master as the event timer? Works great with minimal effort.
My usual go-to plan is to use F3KMaster to run the audio - if you want to use an Android device for on-field timing, lemme know and I'll set up a WiFi router.
Oct 26, 2015, 09:59 PM
I am so in!

Thank you Matt.

Now paying for AMA, buying ElDo yearly pass and dusting off my 4.5 Vandals. It is looking like 2008 all over again, when I first visited ElDo and learnt about DLG. By that time, these Vandals belonged to Jun, Clay and TomK
Tai
Oct 26, 2015, 10:05 PM
F3K master for event timing is good enough

Jeff
Last edited by jachipman; Oct 27, 2015 at 12:09 AM.
Oct 26, 2015, 11:01 PM
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tai626
I am so in!
That's great, Tai! Glad you haven't forgotten about us...
Oct 26, 2015, 11:16 PM
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
Thread OP

Registration is open (I think...)

I did my best to set up an entry in f3xvault.com. Let's see if it works

Please take a whack at registering...
Oct 26, 2015, 11:33 PM
Worked for me.... Hope Long Beach has easier to find thermals than Poway.
Oct 27, 2015, 12:05 AM
M Seid
Nice Matt!
Oct 27, 2015, 04:10 AM
This puts a smile on my face

Quick Reply