Envelope and Gas Bag Questions - RC Groups
Oct 25, 2015, 05:25 PM
Question

Envelope and Gas Bag Questions

Hello,

I am apart of a team at Rowan University in southern New Jersey. We are creating an autonomous blimp that will advertise our college of engineering. We are well into our design phase and have made much progress. My main question is about the envelope and gas bag though. Currently we are looking into using ripstop nylon or polyurethane for our envelope, and maybe using aluminized nlyon for our gas bag.

First of all I was wondering what people think about using these materials, and their opinions or suggestions on using one material over another. The primary reason that I am posting is to find someone to construct our envelope and gas bag for us. Our adviser does not want us to make these ourselves, so we need to look for outside help. We plan to start building the blimp spring of 2016. Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated! Thank you all for your time!

Sincerely,

The Rowan University Blimp Team
to remove ads between posts
Oct 25, 2015, 07:16 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Hi Guys,

making a bag is a pretty tricky job, but depending on the size of your blimp you should be able to buy one 'off the shelf'? (In fact in a thread below someone is trying to sell one!).

Finding someone to build you a custom envelope though is probably going to be a bit tricky, I don't think there are very many folks making them to spec. Using an outer sheath and an inner gas bag is a good idea for a larger airship, but the extra weight means it only works for larger airships; it's a big piece of work.

However there are a bunch of folks selling small advertising blimps for sports events 'n stuff; you should be able to pick up a second hand one or something...? If you want to buy a new one, people like blimpguys.com sell them (I should say I have no experience of commercial sellers, so no idea who to recommend).

- Chris
Nov 08, 2015, 04:28 PM
Hello,

Thank you for getting back to us. I understand that it will be difficult to have someone make our envelope to specification. We are unable to buy an entire blimp though. We already have our gondola and propulsion systems designed, which we intend to use when we build our blimp. The Dean of our College of engineering also wants us to use this as a learning opportunity and do a lot of the work ourselves. As per your advice we are currently looking into buying an envelope that has similar specifications to what we need for our blimp. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to buy this. Thanks again!

Sincerely,

The Rowan University Blimp Team
Nov 09, 2015, 08:22 AM
call us 519-756-1110
Aug 17, 2017, 02:50 PM
To who it may concern.
I know I'm late to this post but was wondering would your people be interested in a blimp , large with everything 55ft . Have this in storage for a few years . Will give it away for small euros to offload it.
Comeback to me if you have any interest. Have video content of it flying etc. Could be reduced in size.
My email is johnwhyte3333@gmail.com