Aug 20, 2019, 08:11 AM
Parkcityflier
Bart, you're making the plane too pretty to fly! Only kidding of course but it really is a beauty. I wish you all the success in your sea trials. I think that with what we have learned about the model in the last five years the only result can be a really great flying airplane too.

Jim
to remove ads between posts
Aug 20, 2019, 08:40 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Paint job looks awesome Bart!

J
Aug 22, 2019, 03:31 PM
71% of the world is runway . .
Thread OP
Thanks all !

Today i made a battery tray and put the dead weight in the nose. Also set up the controls and other radio stuff. The model is now ready to go. Weather is looking nice no maybe sea trails this sunday. This weekend i'm going to an airshow that is being held in honor of the 75th Market Garden 75th commemoration.

https://www.vliegshowede.nl/en

Cheers,

Bart
Aug 22, 2019, 03:44 PM
homo ludens modellisticus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart83
... and put the dead weight in the nose. ...
Install bigger/heavier packs instead?

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
Aug 22, 2019, 03:59 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron van Sommeren
Install bigger/heavier packs instead?

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
That would be the best option off course. But would require me to measure the weight needed to achieve CG before i'm buying battery packs

Bart
Aug 22, 2019, 05:33 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Just curious Bart.. What kind of Laser cutter do you own?

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
Aug 23, 2019, 03:37 AM
Thread OP
@ Steve : I don't own a Laser Cutting machine (sadly)myself. The laser cutting is done by RC-Europe. For my earlier designs the cutting was done by Morganmill. I'm not sure what machines they both own.

Cheers,

Bart
Last edited by Bart83; Aug 23, 2019 at 03:46 AM.
Aug 25, 2019, 08:02 AM
Thread OP
Hi All,

Finally we have some nice weather to take some outdoor pictures of the Dornier. I figured why not do it at the lake
So yesterday my son Lucas and i headed to the nearby lake. Conditions were perfect at sunset, Lucas made some nice pictures and the model went in the water for the first time. It is has been many years since the project started so you can probably imagine that seeing the model on the mirror flat water gave me a big smile on the face After a few pictures were made i checked the hull for any water leaks and gladly there wasn't a single drop inside. Taxied around for a few minutes to get used on the model, it really handles like a big airplane. Then it was time for some high speed runs increasing the speed at each run, at one point the model lifted of the water ! gladly no unwanted nose up jump but just a gentle separation from skimming the water to flight. Jim's experience with the other prototype played a big part in this, the cg is much further forward as calculation show.
Did this a few more times and after about 35mins of playing on the water the lipo's were down to 30% so we went home.
Lucas made the pictures posted below and the video is shot with the mobius action cam mounted on my cap.

Next up is the actual maiden , if i can manage my nerves. No other excuses now , everything works fine, the CG of 125mm seems to be OK.
When the wind is in the right direction 'll go for it . . . . . .

Cheers,

Bart

Dornier Do24, Sea trials (2 min 2 sec)
Last edited by Bart83; Aug 25, 2019 at 08:39 AM.
Aug 25, 2019, 10:45 AM
96RC/3178W
Congrats Bart! Fantastic looking model, as usual!
Aug 25, 2019, 10:46 AM
GLM
GLM
AMA 209854
This gave me shivers down my spine!!!

Congratulations my friend - this is a magnificent achievement.

The lift off was exquisite. How much throttle did you have left at separation? Looks like it wanted sky.

A heart felt Cheers!

Gary
Aug 25, 2019, 11:29 AM
Thread OP
Thanks ! @ Gary , at lift off throttle was a little over 1/2.

Cheers,

Bart
Aug 25, 2019, 11:38 AM
EB-66C Team Member
But don't tell me that you were not tempted!
My, what a well behaved aircraft on the water. She looks like she was born for it. Silky smooth.
Fantastic work my friend. Looks like the real thing fresh out of the factory. OK, I've run out of superlatives.

J
Aug 25, 2019, 11:39 AM
It's a fine fiddly business.
Bart,
The water handling is magnificent and the crow hops look very promising for good flights to come. Congratulations!
Robert
Aug 25, 2019, 11:43 AM
Father by day, hacker by night
Absolutely beautiful!
Aug 25, 2019, 12:26 PM
Wow Bart! Truly stunning aircraft.

That video reminds me of another aviator, just doing "taxi tests".......

Quick Reply