The "Hornet" a high wing pylon racer!!! - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 25, 2015, 11:07 AM
Foam is my friend!!!
Build Log

The "Hornet" a high wing pylon racer!!!

Hi All,
I'm going to try something new (for me). I'll build a balsa design from foam and share my progress with all of you here!

The design I've chosen is the "Hornet" It is a high wing "Pylon Racer" I found the plans for this 1977 design on "Outerzone" . The designer is Noel Roselle.

The Hornet is small (37" Wingspan X 28.5" Length) and looks to be an easy balsa build construction, But I'll build it from 1/2" foam and an "Armin airfoil" made from DTFB. I'll use 1/8" balsa sheet for the vertical and horizontal stabilizers!

Here is the link to the plan
http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=5419

And two PDF's that I'll start with.

I'll post plenty of pictures, and a few videos. I hope you will follow along, and share your insights, suggestions, help, and comments!!!
Last edited by NewZee; Oct 25, 2015 at 12:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 25, 2015, 11:16 AM
Foam is my friend!!!
OK just to whet your interest! , here are a few pictures of the "Hornet" (in balsa) , i'll try and be as faithful to the original design as I can!
Oct 25, 2015, 11:19 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Gas motor ...
Oct 25, 2015, 11:24 AM
They fly well electric, I have converted my old 049 model.

L.
Oct 25, 2015, 11:38 AM
Laughs at un-boxing videos...
What size electric might be suitable? For the weight and power to be similar.
Oct 25, 2015, 12:04 PM
Foam is my friend!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
Gas motor ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee Flyer
They fly well electric, I have converted my old 049 model.

L.
Quote:
Originally Posted by basicguy
What size electric might be suitable? For the weight and power to be similar.
Hi Guys,

I'll definitely do electric power, and right now I'm thinking a 28mm frame size and a 1600 to 2200 kV. I'd like to power it with 3S (I'm thinking 1000-1300 mAh) the motor choice would be driven in part by the prop I choose (7" or 6") ,or visa versa. want it fast, but not too fast!

I'd like to hear your suggestions!
Oct 25, 2015, 12:06 PM
serial scratchbuilder
Comments on Outerzone claim an SK3 2836 1500kv + 7x6 prop gives 2:1. 2826 2200kv + 6x4APC would prolly perform well also.
Oct 25, 2015, 12:12 PM
Foam is my friend!!!

The "Build" begins!!

OK I've started, first step was to print out the tiled plans and get them together, so I can transfer a fuselage "template" to paper. Here are a few pics (I told you there would be pics!) of the process.
Oct 25, 2015, 12:57 PM
You can take that file to Kinko's and they will print it full size for less than $5.

L.
Oct 25, 2015, 01:00 PM
Foam is my friend!!!
Quote:
You can take that file to Kinko's and they will print it full size for less than $5.

L.
Yeah!, I've done that before, but I usually "cut up" my plans. but it'll be nice to have a full size clean copy to save!
Oct 25, 2015, 01:53 PM
Looks like a fun project!

My advice on the wing, IF you're going to build the wing parts out of foam, definitely use two spars out of balsa or hardwood dowel, (or a leading edge and a spar) as that the foam will "flex and twist" with any movement. I had built an experimental wing using foam and only a single hardwood leading edge, and it had a very undesirable amount of flex and twist. (Unfortunately, I have not saved those pics). But if I do find them, I'll share them here.
Oct 25, 2015, 02:08 PM
Foam is my friend!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granted
Comments on Outerzone claim an SK3 2836 1500kv + 7x6 prop gives 2:1. 2826 2200kv + 6x4APC would prolly perform well also.
Thanks!.... something tells me it'll be much tamer with the 1500 kV 7X6 prop!!!
Oct 25, 2015, 02:09 PM
Or build it like this:
Oct 25, 2015, 02:14 PM
Foam is my friend!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert4613
Looks like a fun project!

My advice on the wing, IF you're going to build the wing parts out of foam, definitely use two spars out of balsa or hardwood dowel, (or a leading edge and a spar) as that the foam will "flex and twist" with any movement. I had built an experimental wing using foam and only a single hardwood leading edge, and it had a very undesirable amount of flex and twist. (Unfortunately, I have not saved those pics). But if I do find them, I'll share them here.
Thanks,....... I'll use a hardwood or CF spar for sure! and the 6" cord should keep twist to a minimum!? The Armin wing construction (See "Experimental Airlines") is a tried and true method, and I'll follow that closely. I know the packing tape on the DTFB also adds a good bit of "stiffness".
Oct 25, 2015, 02:16 PM
Foam is my friend!!!
Quote:
Or build it like this:
Looks great!... but part of why I'm doing this is I wanted to build and test an "Armin Wing" and I thought the "Hornet" design lends itself to this simple airfoil design/construction.