This thread is privately moderated by ScottFlys, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 25, 2015, 10:05 AM
Thread OP
Mini-HowTo

ScottFlys Telemetry for OpenTx 2.1

Please see the following for documentation and support

ScottFlys MavLink to FrSky for OpenTx 2.1
Documentation
http://openbrainiacs.com/tiki-index....emetry+Project
Support
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...2#post33028428 <=============== YOU ARE HERE ******************************

ScottFlys Telemetry LED extension
Documentation
http://openbrainiacs.com/tiki-index....ED%20Extension
Support
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2538011

ScottFlys Telemetry Sound extension
Documentation
http://openbrainiacs.com/tiki-index....nd%20Extension
Support
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...9#post33462313

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by ScottFlys; Jun 24, 2016 at 01:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 26, 2015, 05:59 AM
IMP Concepts 3D Printing
Thanks Scott...... Please keep up the good work. I am waiting to update to 2.1 when you say it is a go........ Appreciate the preliminary version.
Oct 26, 2015, 07:21 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider
Thanks Scott...... Please keep up the good work. I am waiting to update to 2.1 when you say it is a go........ Appreciate the preliminary version.
Hey ShokWave,
It's out of beta now. The files are in the zip at the top of the thread.
Last edited by ScottFlys; Oct 26, 2015 at 02:05 PM.
Oct 30, 2015, 06:49 AM
Hi Scott
I`m testing your software and it works on a crappy Quanum Nova controller with a 3.2.1 mod firmware.
thank you for your great work!!!
Last edited by kowe90; Oct 30, 2015 at 10:44 AM.
Oct 31, 2015, 10:22 AM
Thread OP
*** IMPORTANT *** I have noticed lately that I have had trouble writing the SR0_ values consistently. I think it's related so some flawed code that is trying to preset the SR0_ values in Mission Planner or Arducopter with APM which muxes the USB with Telemetry. The way I have consistently been able to set the SR0_ parameters correctly is:
1) Connect to the APM in Mission Planner
2) Click Config/Tuning->Full Parameter List
3) Click Find and enter SR0_
4) Change each value to 9 (value box turns green) and Write Params
5) Change the values as shown above (value box turns green) and Write Params
6) Reboot the APM and the correct values will be used by Arducopter
Last edited by ScottFlys; Oct 31, 2015 at 01:48 PM.
Nov 05, 2015, 02:29 PM
KD2PBU - Fly No Evil
I just wired up my Teensy LC two nights ago for my Pixhawk. Which Telemetry port shall I use? I currently have my 3dr radio on Telem1, MinimOSD on Telem2 and my Storm32 gimbal on Serial4. Should I put this on Serial5 or tee off of the Telem1 port? Thanks!
Nov 05, 2015, 02:50 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbitton
I just wired up my Teensy LC two nights ago for my Pixhawk. Which Telemetry port shall I use? I currently have my 3dr radio on Telem1, MinimOSD on Telem2 and my Storm32 gimbal on Serial4. Should I put this on Serial5 or tee off of the Telem1 port? Thanks!
I'd consider teeing off the minimosd telemetry since that's probably just three wire (power, ground and TX from processor). All the settings to dump MAVLINK data (SR1_....) will be exactly the same as what minim needs so in the future you have trouble with your osd not getting data, you'll be able to confirm that it there with the transmitter. Alternatively if you are having trouble with the Teensy getting data, you can hook up the OSD to see if it's coming out of the pixhawk. Sometimes simple (solder) is good
Nov 05, 2015, 02:53 PM
KD2PBU - Fly No Evil
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFlys
Sometimes simple (solder) is good
No doubt. Can I setup a pass-thru on TX3/RX3 for the Mavlink data? That way I'm not teeing off? Thanks!
Nov 05, 2015, 03:00 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
No doubt. Can I setup a pass-thru on TX3/RX3 for the Mavlink data? That way I'm not teeing off? Thanks!
I've never used that many serial ports on the Pixhawk (edit), but there's no reason why it shouldn't work if Arducopter supports the port? If for some reason you don't see data on the Teensy, you'll get flashing LED codes on the Teensy.

Please report back if it works.
Last edited by ScottFlys; Nov 05, 2015 at 03:17 PM.
Nov 05, 2015, 03:06 PM
KD2PBU - Fly No Evil
Quote:
I've never used that many serial ports on the Taranis, but there's no reason why it shouldn't work if Arducopter supports the port? If for some reason you don't see data on the Teensy, you'll get flashing LED codes on the Teensy.

Please report back if it works.
Not Taranis ports. I was referring to the Teensy UART ports. We now have S-Port I/O on RX1/TX1 and Mavlink I/O on RX2/TX2. I'm thinking of adding some code that'll pass the Mavlink I/O to RX3/TX3; that'll feed the MinimOSD. I was looking at this sample code.
Nov 05, 2015, 03:23 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Not Taranis ports. I was referring to the Teensy UART ports. We now have S-Port I/O on RX1/TX1 and Mavlink I/O on RX2/TX2. I'm thinking of adding some code that'll pass the Mavlink I/O to RX3/TX3; that'll feed the MinimOSD. I was looking at this sample code.
Sorry, I misspoke. I meant Pixhawk (I have "Taranis on the brain today")

I think you could do that, but again, solder is simple . The Teensy has nice FIFO buffered serial ports so writing a bit of code to do that would probably be as reliable as you can get. But, if for some reason the teensy has a problem, you'd lose OSD
Nov 06, 2015, 01:09 PM

Alrighty then... Pixhawk/ APM V3.3/OpenTX 2.1.3

Pixhawk/ APM:Copter V3.3/ OpenTX 2.1.3

Downloaded 2.1.3 package

1.) I've wired up the Teensy
2.) loaded the 2.1.3 hex onto the Teensy
3.) Cut the USB bridge
4.) Dropped the scripts onto the Taranis into the scripts folder
5.) Congigured the Tarnis telemetry screen to load the proper script
6.) Discovered new sensors
7.) Loaded all the SR0 values, and verified they stick after reboot
8.) Connected the Teensy to telemetry port 2 (also tried port 1)
9.) Clicked the OSD option in Initial Setup in Mission Planner just to try and get it going.

Teensy single orange blink

Telemetry screen on Taranis not updating

So what should I try next?

Thanks!!

Dan
Nov 06, 2015, 01:19 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Danny
Pixhawk/ APM:Copter V3.3/ OpenTX 2.1.3

Downloaded 2.1.3 package

1.) I've wired up the Teensy
2.) loaded the 2.1.3 hex onto the Teensy
3.) Cut the USB bridge
4.) Dropped the scripts onto the Taranis into the scripts folder
5.) Congigured the Tarnis telemetry screen to load the proper script
6.) Discovered new sensors
7.) Loaded all the SR0 values, and verified they stick after reboot
8.) Connected the Teensy to telemetry port 2 (also tried port 1)
9.) Clicked the OSD option in Initial Setup in Mission Planner just to try and get it going.

Teensy single orange blink

Telemetry screen on Taranis not updating

So what should I try next?

Thanks!!

Dan
Hi Dan,

Welcome to this thread!!! 1 Flash means "No MAVLink data is being received (possible faulty connection to APM)". With Pixhawk, you are probably connected to SR1_ so you have to set those parameters instead. I don't think you have to do the kludgey writing of 9 first on SR1_. If you are on telem2, it's SR2_.

Please confirm what you get working and I'll update the instructions. I thought I already had done that but I didn't.

Scott
Nov 06, 2015, 02:58 PM
Quote:
Hi Dan,

Welcome to this thread!!! 1 Flash means "No MAVLink data is being received (possible faulty connection to APM)". With Pixhawk, you are probably connected to SR1_ so you have to set those parameters instead. I don't think you have to do the kludgey writing of 9 first on SR1_. If you are on telem2, it's SR2_.

Please confirm what you get working and I'll update the instructions. I thought I already had done that but I didn't.

Scott
Added the SR2 values, rebooted everything, same result... single orange blink, no updating on the radio telemetry screen.

Pics attached to show physical wiring connections and such.

Dan
Nov 06, 2015, 03:11 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Danny
Added the SR2 values, rebooted everything, same result... single orange blink, no updating on the radio telemetry screen.

Pics attached to show physical wiring connections and such.

Dan
The single orange blink means that it's not getting any telemetry from the pixhawk. The wiring is looks correct. You don't need the green for this project as long as the SRn_ values are configured.

A month before Arducopter 3.3 was released, I was having an issue on pixhawk with the second telemetry not automatically pushing data (SRn), so I just used telem1 on my pixhawk. I was hoping that it was fixed, but maybe it never did get fixed. Just to confirm, could you connect to telem1, set SR1_ values and see if it starts working. Not necessarily as a permanent fix, but just to confirm the issue is still there?

Thanks,

Scott

Quick Reply